Tilley “ltm5 Airflo” Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
TILLEY “LTM5 AIRFLO” HAT

wgurec.jpg

I have found that a lot of hats do not suit me, so I have been limited to wearing cotton beanie type hats and bandanas. My trouble with these is if I wear them for long especially when doing a lot of physical work they make me feel overheated and because I have long hair they tend to rise up on my head and fall off if brushed against anything.

As a long time migraine sufferer the tightness of some hats can provoke a bad headache so this again puts a limit what I can wear.

So with a tall order to fill, any hat I was to get had to be: loosely worn but secure, capable of keeping me cool and had to look good as well as being able to blend in when I was out and about. I then received this hat from the Tilley Hats Company and with crossed fingers gave it a chance to earn a place on my noggin.

This model is made from Nylamtium which is a lighter weight, 6 oz 2-ply Supplex nylon that is water tight and mildew resistant. It also has the additional mesh integrated into the crown.

16ase92.jpg

jaw3kz.jpg

(I left the hat out in heavy rain for half an hour and as you can see hardly any water got through)

It is made with a lockstitch which allows the poly cotton thread to swell when it gets wet. This seals the stitch holes keeping the rain out. It has a semi-sloping front and back medium brim

Brim size : 2 5/8”
Back : 2 ¾ “
Sides : 2 1/8”

UV PROTECTION

All of the Tilley hats are made to provide the highest level of protection against harmful UV rays.

The styles and fabrics of the hats have a UPF (Ultraviolet protection factor) rating of 50+ which is the highest rating that is given. This means that it will block 98% of harmful ultraviolet and medium wave length ultraviolet rays. The qualities the fabrics should have to get a good UPF rating are: Dark colours, the materials should have a tight weave and thick fibres, it also should be resilient so that when it stretches it should still keep the light out. In my opinion this hat certainly has all these factors and with the addition of the brim it defiantly makes a difference in the sun. It covers your ears and shields your eyes. For spectacle wearers like me I find that it helps also to reduce glare.

Although these hats are highly certified against sun damage Tilley advises the use of sunscreens/lotions as well.

AIRFLO

ji1a2p.jpg

2yyw7sz.jpg

The airflow models have a ¾” polyester mesh band in the crown allowing hot air to escape and sweat to evaporate quickly. Along with the ventilation grommets it helps to reduce the build up of heat making it more comfortable to wear on hot days.

I was out digging in the garden the other day and the sun was blazing. Normally I would be wearing a tighter fitting cotton hat and after a few spadefulls I would be sweating with the heat. I was surprised this time by how much cooler I was when wearing this hat. I think that as well as the airflow system the fact that you have the hat looser on your head really improved the circulation of the air.

SWEAT BAND

1z2hbow.jpg

There is a 1 ¼” band of soft moisture absorbing material stitched to the inside of the hat. This wicks any perspiration away from the head making you cooler and more comfortable.

WIND CORD

w016w1.jpg

9km45i.jpg

For windy days the hat has a simply designed wind cord.
The cord is like 1 long lace that runs through the ventilation grommets and is tied on the inside with 2 simple knots. Even though it has 1 long cord you ware it by putting the longer loop under the chin while the shorter loop sits behind the head.

When there is no need for the cord you just slide the knots together and tuck it away inside. In light winds you only need to use the back cord. Again as the hat is loosely worn this feature also makes it secure in high winds so there is less chance of it being blown away.

IT FLOATS

fvbgcy.jpg

2doy68.jpg

jpeqg6.jpg

Inside the secret pocket in the crown there is a non-absorbent foam liner, this along with the water repelling fibres that trap the air in the fabric, gives buoyancy to the hat. If by some mishap your hat falls in water you will have a chance of saving it, though in more turbulent waters it can sink.

HIDDEN POCKET

11t5ws0.jpg

On the inside of the crown there is a hidden pocket which is fastened with a Velcro strip. When you first get the hat there is a sealable bag with some brag tags in the pocket. This little feature was designed so that you could safely stow a key, bank note or objects of similar size into it and have it at hand.

mjms5z.jpg

I tested this to see if it would also be water proof by putting some tissue into the bag and then I dunked the hat in water a good few times. I opened the bag to find the tissue was perfectly dry.

INSURANCE AND GUARANTEE

Every Tilley hat has a 2 year 50% deductable insurance policy. If by some misfortune the hat is lost, stolen or destroyed within 2 years of the date of purchase, they will replace it at half the catalogue price + shipping and taxes.

Tilley guarantees that if your hat ever wears out they will replace it free. All you need to do is send your hat plus a £5 cheque to cover shipping and they will even send back your old hat as well.

Well after 2 weeks I can say I am very pleased with the performance of this hat. I have been doing a lot of digging in the garden lately and have not once felt the need to take of my hat and wipe my forehead. It has kept the sun out of my eyes and the rain of my head. To date there has been no headaches due to pressure on the head from wearing it and I am extremely pleased how hardy this hat is. It even suits me which I was doubtful of and it really does give a smart but practical look.

I did think that after the first wash there would be trouble with it shrinking and I would have to spend ages trying to stretch the hell out of it to fit again but after it dried (which didn’t take long) it was back on my head fitting exactly as before.

The Tilley Company has a huge range of hats to suit the individual with lots of styles and 4 different types of material. If this hat is anything to go by the quality of the others will be of outstanding quality as well.

Most hat makers only make a few different sizes but Tilley have a huge range. If you do not know your hat size just measure your head and they will choose the correct size for you.

With all the features and the great guarantee this hat is worth every penny of its price as I think it will last many years to come.

More info on Tilley Hats products:

www.tilley.com

CBJ

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Yes they are expensive but as they are washable they don't get horrible sweat stains on them or get smelly. So they will last a long time.

"I have been doing a lot of digging in the garden lately and have not once felt the need to take off my hat and wipe my forehead."

Whilst I am very pleased with my Tilley (I have exactly the same model) I still sweat a lot when wearing it but it is still better than any other summer hat. And ok when cold if you wear a Buff or similar

I also have a Tilley winter hat. (I like hats) That is pretty good too for when it is really cold but I had to return the first one because the special band to hold it in place in a strong wind was too short. The band on the replacement hat wasn't much better but I haven't got round to extending it (easy to do as just needs a bit of ribbon and Velcro). The winter hat is not washable and has to be dry cleaned so is not as good value IMHO. Still like it though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,
I'm a big Tilley fan though not as much as my mate ( it's how folk recognise him ), ( I posted some of this in the fantastic Mr Fenna's review on Tilley's by the way ). Anyway my pal is one of only two folk ( I sell Tilley's in the shop ) to have worn a Tilley out. He's had two free replacement hats now, and he gets to keep the old ones for sentimental value. He wears one every day all day, and though he does wash them regularly his job means they do wear out. You can send it to Tilley back on your own or you can take it into the retailer you bought it from. But here is the slight snag. Only an official Tilley run shop has to replace it, normal stockists don't. Though if the retailer is worth their salt ( a big Tilley killer by the way, please wash often) they will send it back for you. Some will charge you postage... some wont.
I prefer the cotton or hemp types as I feel they breath better and a good treatment with Nikwax will make them pretty waterproof. The synthetic ones can be badly affected by DEET based insect repelents - remember they use DEET as a plastic softener in industry so it'll kill sunglasses and some synthetic clothing.
Cheers
Goatboy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi All,
the fantastic Mr Fenna
QUOTE]

I am not that great!:cool:
I have had 3 replacements now and the dead hats are on my trophy wall....I only ever paid for one hat ...the lifetime guarantee is real and Tilley have charged no more than postage for the replacemants.
Great hats - great service!

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
I have just bought the same model, I am well pleased with it. Quality kit does cost a bit extra, but when you think it has a life time guarantee you will never have to buy another hat.

Phil

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
T glad you liked the review.

CBJ

"Liked the review", my foot ;)
I just ordered two of them, a T3 and a LTM6 Airflow, because of your review and what John Fenna wrote earlier about his Tilly.
I did it in the resonable hope that I can now have some hats which will protect my head from the elements without boiling my brain, as did nearly every hat I bought in the last decade :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE