Yorkshire
So tragic, my thoughts are with his family

Ticks are carrying more than Lymes now, it sounds like Ehrlichiosis

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine too; too young and he leaves a young family as well.
Condolances to his family and friends and colleagues.

Maybe we need an awful lot more quail around right enough. They devour ticks and the like.

Toddy

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
How awful. Ticks are bad news but control using birds is tricky - quail are probably similar to red grouse in that they would host larvae and nymphs as well as eating them.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,
I'm surprised that the authorities are suddenley taking this so seriously.
My thoughts go out to Mr. Beaties family.
I myself have suffered heart failure and a ruined hip joint due to tick related infections. I'm currently awaiting a pacemaker and new hip joint after five years of crap and bad health from these little beasties. In Scandanavia they give a nice simple injection to forestry workers againt the little spider gits.
Take care and get checked out, bearing in mind that MOST health professionals have NO idea when it comes to lymes dissease.
I've gone from a big healthy fit chap to a man who can barely make it up a flight of stairs, have lost huge amounts of muscle mass, take around 15 pills a day and need my best pal Scotty to put my tent up when we go away. It not only affects you physically but mentally you take a hit when you can no longer do the things folk once expected you to do, or that you want to do yourself.
Thanks for reading,
Goatboy.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,
I'm surprised that the authorities are suddenley taking this so seriously.
My thoughts go out to Mr. Beaties family.
I myself have suffered heart failure and a ruined hip joint due to tick related infections. I'm currently awaiting a pacemaker and new hip joint after five years of crap and bad health from these little beasties. In Scandanavia they give a nice simple injection to forestry workers againt the little spider gits.
Take care and get checked out, bearing in mind that MOST health professionals have NO idea when it comes to lymes dissease.
I've gone from a big healthy fit chap to a man who can barely make it up a flight of stairs, have lost huge amounts of muscle mass, take around 15 pills a day and need my best pal Scotty to put my tent up when we go away. It not only affects you physically but mentally you take a hit when you can no longer do the things folk once expected you to do, or that you want to do yourself.
Thanks for reading,
Goatboy.

Thats rough Goatboy hope you start winning soon.
I have a family member just starting to recover from ME after 7 years and he too was a hill walker and general outdoor nut. The mental effect was half if not more of his long battle.
You mention an injection for forestry workers? Why dont we have this over here?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE