Tick Bite Prevention Week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saddie

Feb 21, 2012
Leeds, UK
It’s that time of year again folks! Ticks will soon be active so read on to find out how to stay protected!

Ticks can carry harmful infections that can be transmitted to humans. It is estimated that each year around 3,000 people in the UK contract Lyme disease (Borreliosis) from a tick bite.

If you take part in outdoor activities or simply enjoy being in the countryside, or parks and gardens where wildlife is present, you may be at risk from tick bites. In fact, research from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, published in January 2012, suggests that the prevalence of Lyme disease bacteria in the UK tick population is considerably higher than most recent estimates indicated.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March-1 April 2012, and is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals.

Don't panic but be 'Tick Aware'!
Simple precautions can help to keep you safe. The campaign's Patron, Bushcraft and Survival expert Ray Mears, shares his Top Tips that can be taken to help prevent ticks from biting people and pets.

The great outdoors is there to be enjoyed, so make sure you visit www.tickbitepreventionweek.org for lots of useful information and advice.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're out already folks :( I had to remove one from the back of my knee on Sunday night.

We spent all day following deer fences and squeezing through holes in walls which they used, I was kind of expecting to find a few.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Its getting mild here so the little blighters will be looking for food. I pulled an engorged female off a sheep last year and kept it in a jam jar - the number of larva that have hatched is unreal, must be 300 or more!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Its getting mild here so the little blighters will be looking for food. I pulled an engorged female off a sheep last year and kept it in a jam jar - the number of larva that have hatched is unreal, must be 300 or more!!

That makes my skin crawl

I suppose that's why they're doing so well at the moment

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
A word of warning Never try to rescue a sheep with its head stuck in a fence whilst stripped to the waist wearing nothing but shorts and boots wrestling it and trying to free it at the same time, Result sheep tick in my side which Fi had to remove well thats my story and im sticking to it:rolleyes:

A word of warning Never try to rescue a sheep with its head stuck in a fence whilst stripped to the waist wearing nothing but shorts and boots wrestling it and trying to free it at the same time, Result sheep tick in my side which Fi had to remove well thats my story and im sticking to it:rolleyes:

Thanks - now have a very disturbing mental image - and it has nothing to do with the tick - that is the least disturbing part of that whole scenario!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The removal tool is great, but even better is to kill the buggers before they start burrowing. Soak your hiking clothing and hammock in .5% permethrin solution. Agricultural supply stores over here (USA) sell 10% solution which can easily be diluted to the correct strength. Then immerse clothing and equipmewnt articles in a bucket of the solutiuon, drain/wring back into the bucket and hang up to dry. One treatment is said to last six or so washes. Wear gloves, and don;t use the clothes until they are dry. Also keep well away from cats, as it kills them just as effectively as it kills ticks and mossies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The sheep I pulled it off had been treated with the most persistent acaracide on the market only 6 weeks before - so much for its claim of 8 - 12 weeks of cover!

It's scary, isn't it ? :sigh:
The old organo phosphates did the job, but the side effects weren't tenable. I wonder how long we'll accept this tick explosion as acceptable though.

Too many of the things meant to tick proof clothing cause allergic reactions as well. I couldn't spin a fleece from a sheep that had been dipped in the old stuff before it had had several washes because of the reaction on my hands, but the permithrin stuff is almost as bad :sigh:

We need more birds :D tick hungry birds :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE