Recommend me a power station

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I have been preparing a little and have come on to power needs, I have been waiting to try and sort my home out, but the goal posts of building/renovation keep on slipping and costs increasing. So while I wait to get the full blown solar system, I have been thinking about a power station that can be charged via solar panels and mains.

So there is a lot to chose from, brands such as Jackery and Anker.

I have been looking at the Anker 757, and really seems to tick the right boxes for me, but still on the fence.

It would be good to hear from a few people that have used power stations, and those that are preparing for power outages.

Cheers Gra

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you don't need mobile and small volume you can get a lot better value for money building a small solar power unit using solar panels, charge controller, leisure batteries and an inverter. It should come in at much less than half the price of the Anker 757.

I've put one in my shepherd's hut and gives me more flexibility. I can add more solar panels, more batteries, take 12v power for lighting, 5v for USB charging, and mains power for occasional 240v equipment. If I need to top up the battery (not needed so far) I can use my small 800w generator.

Edit: - just done a quick add up; a system that will provide the same kind of power as the Anker 757 (1200 Wh, max 1500W output) will cost less than £500 including a 100w solar panel.

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
If you don't need mobile and small volume you can get a lot better value for money building a small solar power unit using solar panels, charge controller, leisure batteries and an inverter. It should come in at much less than half the price of the Anker 757.

I've put one in my shepherd's hut and gives me more flexibility. I can add more solar panels, more batteries, take 12v power for lighting, 5v for USB charging, and mains power for occasional 240v equipment. If I need to top up the battery (not needed so far) I can use my small 800w generator.

Edit: - just done a quick add up; a system that will provide the same kind of power as the Anker 757 (1200 Wh, max 1500W output) will cost less than £500 including a 100w solar panel.
Portable is preferred, as want to have it kind of movable. But interested in the links to the setup you costed :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

What battery would that use and what weight/bulk would that become? Do you think a lightweight version could be made with something like this, maybe two together for more power or would I be best off sticking to my Ryobi set up?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's the power capacity that's the killer with small batteries. 2 x 7Ah 12v batteries only gives you 168wh - so, you could only run a 100w load for around 1.5 hours. However, if all you're doing is running a 6w LED light, you could run it for 28 hours. So, it all boils down to what you want to do with the power.

The battery I have in the hut is 100Ah so gives the equivalent power capacity (1200wh) as the Anker 757. The Anker though, uses lithium batteries which are much smaller for the power capacity and charge more quickly (at a price).

Reactions: FerlasDave

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It's the power capacity that's the killer with small batteries. 2 x 7Ah 12v batteries only gives you 168wh - so, you could only run a 100w load for around 1.5 hours. However, if all you're doing is running a 6w LED light, you could run it for 28 hours. So, it all boils down to what you want to do with the power.

The battery I have in the hut is 100Ah so gives the equivalent power capacity (1200wh) as the Anker 757. The Anker though, uses lithium batteries which are much smaller for the power capacity and charge more quickly (at a price).
That's the killer price wise, the lipo4 batteries are what is drawing me to the power stations, in addition to power back up, plus portability.

@Broch thank you for your PM will be looking into that.

bearbait

I'm not trying to be completely off grid, just reduce my dependency on it a little. And be resilient in case of blackouts - like those last winter I think it was, in various parts of the country due to storms. A friend of mine was off electricity then for several days and, apart from the inconvenience, lost everything in her freezer.

I have a Jackery 1000 with 2 x 100W solar panels. This I routinely move around the house (disconnected!) to power things for the short-term, e.g. bread maker, and then recharge it when the sun's out. Also useful for camping as it's pretty portable. I use one of the Jackery panels alone in the back garden occasionally to directly charge phones, iPads, Kindles, etc. via USB.

I also have an EcoFlow Delta Max 2000 with a 400W panel, which is out full time, and am considering upgrading this with the smart batteries and another 400W panel. (But I've got to check the pocket money situation in more detail. And get permission.) I'm quite low on my power usage anyway so it's been supporting about 25% or so of my usage recently. I have yet to try it in the winter when the sun is much lower in the sky. I built a frame to support the panel as the supplied support, whilst fine for occasional portable / camping use, is not suitable for long-term use (IMHO).

The 2 x 100W Jackery PV panels seem to charge the unit at a max of around 120W in good bright sun, i.e. around 60% of the stated potential of the panels. This, I think, is because the Jackery will charge, from any source, at a max of 150W. So no point plugging in a big genny to charge it as most of that fuel is going to waste. The Jackery panels are stated not to be weatherproof, and the connecting plugs are definitely not.

The EcoFlow panel (400W) I've seen hit 350W+ on a number of occasions, so over 85% of potential. It uses PV industry standard MC4 weatherproof plugs.

Neither of these generation output observations can be considered particularly scientific.

Stuff I've read on the interweb suggests that most PV panels, on a good day, are likely to give you to up to around 80% or so of their stated delivery. And that, of course, depends on the recipient device.

Also I understand that it's best not to mix different panels / generation rates as 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2 apparently (due to electrical clever stuff!).

I have a 2.5kW petrol generator - which I bought many many years ago for my last house as that had occasional outages anyway due to location. That genny plugged into the house via a simple mains transfer switch and so that supply went in to the main fuse box / distribution panel, etc. for safety. I have also implemented that concept where I am now. 2.5kW is unlikely to power a whole house (in the west) at once, but will support a number of devices concurrently.

It's quite a good idea to list the power consumption of the main items in the household so that you can get an idea what things you can have switched on concurrently on the system at any time. And what will never ever work!

This link (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages) will give you an idea of the likely sun hours for your location. A modicum of earnest spreadsheeting will enable you to get some idea of the power you "could" generate from your PV system at various times of the year. Of course, that will be modified by your local topography too!

I understand that cable length affects voltage drop. Makes sense. So (please correct me if this assumption is wrong), without excessively heavy duty cable, it may be better to have your low voltage PV panels relatively close to your power station / battery set up and then the 240V / mains level output cable to the house / other demand(s) can be longer.

I lived on a sailing boat for about 3 years and was completely off grid there, with solar panels, wind turbine and a small genny (plus the engine, of course). However my current location is not suitable for a small wind turbine. But elsewhere I'd consider it as a complement to the PV panels.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Don't worry, we won't have any major power cuts in Mid Wales this winter. After last winter, when we were off for three days, I bought a 5.5kw diesel generator that I can run off red diesel or heating oil - that guarantees we won't have power cuts and I'll never have to use it :)

Seriously though, I can generate electricity at a much lower cost than I can buy it off the grid!

Reactions: Winnet and SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Don't worry, we won't have any major power cuts in Mid Wales this winter. After last winter, when we were off for three days, I bought a 5.5kw diesel generator that I can run off red diesel or heating oil - that guarantees we won't have power cuts and I'll never have to use it :)

Seriously though, I can generate electricity at a much lower cost than I can buy it off the grid!
Thanks for taking the hit for everyone here. Much appreciated ! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm not trying to be completely off grid, just reduce my dependency on it a little. And be resilient in case of blackouts - like those last winter I think it was, in various parts of the country due to storms. A friend of mine was off electricity then for several days and, apart from the inconvenience, lost everything in her freezer.

I have a Jackery 1000 with 2 x 100W solar panels. This I routinely move around the house (disconnected!) to power things for the short-term, e.g. bread maker, and then recharge it when the sun's out. Also useful for camping as it's pretty portable. I use one of the Jackery panels alone in the back garden occasionally to directly charge phones, iPads, Kindles, etc. via USB.

I also have an EcoFlow Delta Max 2000 with a 400W panel, which is out full time, and am considering upgrading this with the smart batteries and another 400W panel. (But I've got to check the pocket money situation in more detail. And get permission.) I'm quite low on my power usage anyway so it's been supporting about 25% or so of my usage recently. I have yet to try it in the winter when the sun is much lower in the sky. I built a frame to support the panel as the supplied support, whilst fine for occasional portable / camping use, is not suitable for long-term use (IMHO).

The 2 x 100W Jackery PV panels seem to charge the unit at a max of around 120W in good bright sun, i.e. around 60% of the stated potential of the panels. This, I think, is because the Jackery will charge, from any source, at a max of 150W. So no point plugging in a big genny to charge it as most of that fuel is going to waste. The Jackery panels are stated not to be weatherproof, and the connecting plugs are definitely not.

The EcoFlow panel (400W) I've seen hit 350W+ on a number of occasions, so over 85% of potential. It uses PV industry standard MC4 weatherproof plugs.

Neither of these generation output observations can be considered particularly scientific.

Stuff I've read on the interweb suggests that most PV panels, on a good day, are likely to give you to up to around 80% or so of their stated delivery. And that, of course, depends on the recipient device.

Also I understand that it's best not to mix different panels / generation rates as 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2 apparently (due to electrical clever stuff!).

I have a 2.5kW petrol generator - which I bought many many years ago for my last house as that had occasional outages anyway due to location. That genny plugged into the house via a simple mains transfer switch and so that supply went in to the main fuse box / distribution panel, etc. for safety. I have also implemented that concept where I am now. 2.5kW is unlikely to power a whole house (in the west) at once, but will support a number of devices concurrently.

It's quite a good idea to list the power consumption of the main items in the household so that you can get an idea what things you can have switched on concurrently on the system at any time. And what will never ever work!

This link (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages) will give you an idea of the likely sun hours for your location. A modicum of earnest spreadsheeting will enable you to get some idea of the power you "could" generate from your PV system at various times of the year. Of course, that will be modified by your local topography too!

I understand that cable length affects voltage drop. Makes sense. So (please correct me if this assumption is wrong), without excessively heavy duty cable, it may be better to have your low voltage PV panels relatively close to your power station / battery set up and then the 240V / mains level output cable to the house / other demand(s) can be longer.

I lived on a sailing boat for about 3 years and was completely off grid there, with solar panels, wind turbine and a small genny (plus the engine, of course). However my current location is not suitable for a small wind turbine. But elsewhere I'd consider it as a complement to the PV panels.
What kind of wind turbine did you have?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have bought a small jackery and 100w solar pannel, wish I could have afforded better, but I'm using it to charge my phone and I have some USB camping lights from Outwell that I can plug in for light if needed.
Mostly it's for emergency back up power for my nebuliser.
Other than that, I'm sticking to battery operated fairy lights in the hall, a solar puff as a bedside light, and a couple of camping cookers. I have various other things, such as oil lamps, candles and solar /wind up radio, wool blankets, etc, and my best buy, is down trousers from Jack wolfskin.
Plenty of hygge this winter!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Looking at some of the Jackery ones and EcoFlow, I came across Bluetti EB70 + solar panels (PV120 or PV200). Does anyone have any experience of the EB70 (especially in combination with solar panels) that they’d be happy to share?

bearbait

What kind of wind turbine did you have?
I seem to recall that it was an Ampair. (But it was around 30 years ago!)

Just looking at the current spec. it seems (unsurprisingly!) that the technology has moved on, and it can now be completely integrated with solar panels, charging multiple battery banks. It was all a bit simpler in ye goode olde dayes...

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I seem to recall that it was an Ampair. (But it was around 30 years ago!)

Just looking at the current spec. it seems (unsurprisingly!) that the technology has moved on, and it can now be completely integrated with solar panels, charging multiple battery banks. It was all a bit simpler in ye goode olde dayes...
On boats you don’t need very long cables either! If and when we go down the renewables route, I think a bunch of solar panels and a wind turbine on the garage roof will be the best option. We’re on a bit of high ground, so wind is more plentiful than the sun, to be honest! :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's worth getting a wind speed gauge and measuring the speed where you are over the year before committing. The power generated by a wind turbine is proportional to the square of the swept area of the blades and the wind speed cubed - so wind speed is fundamental (probably obvious :)). Sorry, you may already know all this.

This table taken from a spread sheet shows you the generated power from different size turbines at an average wind speed of 5m/s (typical of Wales).

If the average wind speed is only 3m/s the 2.0m turbine drops to 51w and the big 5m turbine to 318w. On top of that, if you want to stay off-grid, you'll need storage. As an example, each 12v battery will only store around 1kwh.

To put all that is perspective the average UK household uses between 3,000 and 4,000 kwh per year - so 8 to 11 kwh per day (obviously, more in winter and less in summer).

DiamPower24 HrsAir density
1.2​
kg/m
mWkwhAv. Wind speed
5​
m/s
0​
1​
3​
6​
9​
13​
17​
23​
29​
35​

Reactions: SaraR

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Have you tied that into the main house circuit?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Have you tied that into the main house circuit?

I only 'plug' it in when it's needed and I've isolated the grid supply. The priority is the water pump and I can isolate that circuit from all the rest anyway.

I'm not actually generating my power at the moment but the fact I can at sensible cost is encouraging :)

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE