Three way Birch Tap Trial !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Following up from "Getting Ready for Birch Tapping" I thought I'd start a thead on what seem to be, the three main main ways to extract sap from trees, and see which method seems the best for different reasons. Im checking quantities gathered and ease/type of set up.

All the three trees were the same height and crown size, all exposed to the same amount of light and growing near each other.

First the carved tap way. More time consuming, a larger hole in the tree made of 20mm, and heavy tools needed to be carried in. I used a bit and brace, but obviously a scotch auger and stong stick could be used.

Second, the plastic pipe method. Smaller hole, same tools but smaller drill bit, less reliance on natural materials, but clean pipe needed to be carried in. No big deal. I was able to rig up a 4 litre bag, so I guess this way could be set up for longer, and probablly less waste.

Third, the simple stick method. Just putting a knife into the tree, and inserting a stick. No additional tools needed, or man made materials. Very quick to set up, and less invasive.

Im going up the woods later to see how its gone and I'll pup the results up later this evening, as I set up this morning, and the rate these fellas were dripping I think the smaller billy will be over flowing if I leave it all night as well!

I'll pop up that Birch wine recipie later too.

Hope your all not fed up with this topic by now. :eek:

Addo :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well got back from the woods.

All trees seem to be flowing at the same rate when I left this morning, but when I first did the stick method the flow was very slow, so on the same tree I changed location for the stick and the angle more of around 45 deg into the main stem, and carved a depression/gully in to the stick. It then was flowing well.
Tonight when I got there, the flow had almost stopped and the result wasn't good.

Amount gained from the trees.

Carved tap method - 600ml

Tube and Bag - 1000ml

Stick - 30ml !

The wind my also have had a slight effect on the stick method but it was fairly sheltered. I've re-bored this one with the awl on a SAK and opened up a bit more with my main knife.
Flow was good when I left, so we'll see how it goes next time.
Ive emptied all collectors and left in place.

Tube and bag looking good and very litte effort. To be honest if this method keeps producing then its light enough to be used on camp, and excellent for gathering larger amounts for home projects.

I think the stick method will work with the new tweek. Good too if it does for a quick simple drink in the woods. :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Well got back from the woods.

All trees seem to be flowing at the same rate when I left this morning, but when I first did the stick method the flow was very slow, so on the same tree I changed location for the stick and the angle more of around 45 deg into the main stem, and carved a depression/gully in to the stick. It then was flowing well.
Tonight when I got there, the flow had almost stopped and the result wasn't good.

Amount gained from the trees.

Carved tap method - 600ml

Tube and Bag - 1000ml

Stick - 30ml !

The wind my also have had a slight effect on the stick method but it was fairly sheltered. I've re-bored this one with the awl on a SAK and opened up a bit more with my main knife.
Flow was good when I left, so we'll see how it goes next time.
Ive emptied all collectors and left in place.

Tube and bag looking good and very litte effort. To be honest if this method keeps producing then its light enough to be used on camp, and excellent for gathering larger amounts for home projects.

I think the stick method will work with the new tweek. Good too if it does for a quick simple drink in the woods. :)

The stick method netted me 500ml overnight when I did it

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Birch Sap Wine.

A recipie ive been meaning to try from Roger Phillips Wild Food.
Its similar to other recipies ive tryed for elderberry and blackberry, which normally work if the warm temps are maintained during fermentation.

4 1/2 litres (8 pints) Sap
200g (1/2 lb) chopped raisins
1 kg (2 1/4 lb) White sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
General purpose yeast - Last time I used a Rounded teaspoon with the elderberry for a gallon.

Boil the sap after collecting, add the sugar to the liquid, simmer for 10 mins.
Place raisins into a bucket, pour over the liquid and add the lemon juice.
Start the yeast in a glass with some warm water, and add to the bucket when the mixture cools to warm.
Leave to ferment in the covered bucket for three days, then strain off into a 1 gallon demijohn type container and place an airlock into the top.
Leave in a warm room untill fermentation ceases. I leave most wines done this way for around 3 months.
Use a tube to strain off the contents into bottles, seal and leave for a month min, but better after six, onwards. Store during this time in a cooler place. Can be sweetened at bottleling stage if desired.

Good luck, I'll be making mine this week. :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The stick method netted me 500ml overnight when I did it

Yeah, I was keen for this one to work out. Im thinking maybee the cloth cover was too taught, and acted as a wick. Just guessing though.
How'ed you do yours?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Birch Sap Wine.

A recipie ive been meaning to try from Roger Phillips Wild Food.
Its similar to other recipies ive tryed for elderberry and blackberry, which normally work if the warm temps are maintained during fermentation.

4 1/2 litres (8 pints) Sap
200g (1/2 lb) chopped raisins
1 kg (2 1/4 lb) White sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
General purpose yeast - Last time I used a Rounded teaspoon with the elderberry for a gallon.

Boil the sap after collecting, add the sugar to the liquid, simmer for 10 mins.
Place raisins into a bucket, pour over the liquid and add the lemon juice.
Start the yeast in a glass with some warm water, and add to the bucket when the mixture cools to warm.
Leave to ferment in the covered bucket for three days, then strain off into a 1 gallon demijohn type container and place an airlock into the top.
Leave in a warm room untill fermentation ceases. I leave most wines done this way for around 3 months.
Use a tube to strain off the contents into bottles, seal and leave for a month min, but better after six, onwards. Store during this time in a cooler place. Can be sweetened at bottleling stage if desired.

Good luck, I'll be making mine this week. :)

Thanks, I feel another outdoors excursion coming on:D

forestwalker

There is a fourth method; cut a small branch and put it into a bottle. The advantage is less risk of damage to the tree, but it is harder to keep the flies/ants out of the bottle. But it is very good for field expendient gathering.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I'll try that out later, cheers. Must admit when ive had to fell saplings or cut small branches this time of year, the part flows just as well as the trunk.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ok, got back from shutting down the taps and plugging up the trees.
I let the same three trees continue to flow for another 22 hrs.

Found a problem and learnt a lesson, that could of adjusted the results unfairly.
The cloth on the stick and the carved methods covering the billies, acts as a wick. I used cotton and over hanged it over the edge as seen in the pictures. These two billies were empty! but the cloth on both couldn't have been any wetter and the ground was damp.
Both taps were flowing still, but the stick method was flowing much slower.

If both were flowing at different rates, why were both empty? Must be the wicking!
I think yesterdays better result from the carved tap, was due to a stronger flow able to penetrate the cloth, where as the stick has always been a weeker flow and couldn't make it. With the stick I'll be trying it like MartinK9 does with a bottle or no cloth over a billy.

The tube method on the other hand was a roaring success producing another 1450ml ! This tube was dripping at the same rate as the carved tap when dismantled.

As nice as the carved tap was I dont think its worth it, but maybee a compromise between this and the stick could be done with a 10mm carved tap, straight into a billy with a net material as cover instead of the cotton. Therefore mainly using natural materials and drilling the hole with a whittleing knife.

I'd use the tube method for gathering large quantities for wine and syrups, as its proven to work and can be left in situ for longer.

Hope this was of some use to folks.
It was an excuse for me to play in the woods at least :D

Addo :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
is it possible the billies had been tampered with?

cheers for the test,
I'll be trying the tube method myself!
another good thing about the tube method is that it would be far easier to conceal it, if you are use public woods:D I do have permission to tap trees in a certain area but an issue has always been the fluid being taken or spoiled by passers by. a tube could be easily camouflaged and the container could even be buried!:You_Rock_ problem solved!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tried the tube method today Addo, hadn't really thought of it before reading your post last night. Managed to get around 450-500ml in just over 5 hours this morning. Found a fairly hefty silver birch about a 12" diameter with a large crown. It was growing on an old railway embankment and had grown out diagonally then shot up vertically, I tapped into the bend and sat the pot underneath with about 18" of hosepipe into my pot.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good one fellas, glad i've not been the only one messing around at the base of birch trees this weekend! Ive got 3 litres now, tempted to drink it as it is though, nice and sweet.
Had a good gulp in the woods, quite refreshing after all the walking in and out.

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
We used the tube method, but put a bung in the tree instead of just the pipe, we did it over two nights, the first night wasn't very productive, due to a leak, but the second night we made sure that the bung was tight and got about 4 1/2 litres intotal, it is now fermenting in my room, the house smells like a brewery, oh and we used the Roger Phillips recipe. cheers Cain

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
Cheers addo. Will try out the tube method later this week. I just like the picture of the tube method...looks like you've stopped to give the poor tree a drink! It even has a mouth.:)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Good one fellas, glad i've not been the only one messing around at the base of birch trees this weekend! Ive got 3 litres now, tempted to drink it as it is though, nice and sweet.
Had a good gulp in the woods, quite refreshing after all the walking in and out.

I drank all of mine :D:aargh4:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE