Three way Birch Tap Trial !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
We used the tube method, but put a bung in the tree instead of just the pipe, we did it over two nights, the first night wasn't very productive, due to a leak, but the second night we made sure that the bung was tight and got about 4 1/2 litres intotal, it is now fermenting in my room, the house smells like a brewery, oh and we used the Roger Phillips recipe. cheers Cain

Blimey, 4 1/2 litres is good going, hope the wine turns out well.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
what els can you do with it can it. is it ok just to drink it like it is

Yes you can:

1. Drink it neat from the tree.
2. Heat it up with some chopped up Pine Needles for a Brew.
3. Boil it down into a syrup.
4. Freeze it and add to drinks
4. Make wine as mentioned above

I am sure there are more, and varying recipes that will be added by those more in the know then me :rolleyes:

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Ooooh I want to go now, but I can't!!! am I likely to be too late by the weekend? I need to go out and get me some tubing etc... feeling a brewing session coming on :)

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
Literally for the trubing method do you just drill into the tree and poke the tube inside and put the other end into a container?

Also do you drill into the tree at an agle or just horizontally?

ill have a go this week if i can. when do you guys reckon it will be too late?

Cheers

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Last year I only used the stick method and I was able to fill a demijohn in a little over 24 hours. I tapped three different trees all of about a foot in diameter.

This year I have one tapped witha stick and a couple with tubes (though they have a large hole and rubber bung rather than just the tubing, but i will give that a go later ;) )

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Literally for the trubing method do you just drill into the tree and poke the tube inside and put the other end into a container?

Also do you drill into the tree at an agle or just horizontally?

ill have a go this week if i can. when do you guys reckon it will be too late?

Cheers

Yes, I just drill a small 10mm hole and push the 10mm pipe into this. The hole wont be fully 10mm as it closes up a bit and the pipe is flexable and creates a tight fit.
I did mine horizontal, But if flowing well a slight angle sould be ok as it flows into a recess first then down the pipe.
It seems the last two people who drilled a larger hole for a bung to be placed into, which then has a pipe put into it, get a greater return.
Im in favour of a smaller hole though, leaving for a longer time.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
ok so I have just tapped me first tree, using all equipment available to me. Which was... A pocket knife, a metre of plastic tubing and a plastic bucket stolen from work. Seemed to be doing the job though! when I plug it does it matter what with? ie. whether it's also birch or not? Newbie question I know :) Yay for new springtime activities!

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi All,
I went and tapped my first tree tuesday 24/03/09 used about a 10mm drill sized hole about 45deg put a piece of tube in and got 1ltr in about 1.1/2 hrs. made up, drank most of it gave some away, it did not taste as sweet as i have herd other people saying. while i was ther picked some wild garlic and made some soup today with it for dinner(lovely):)

Bill

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi All,
I went and tapped my first tree tuesday 24/03/09 used about a 10mm drill sized hole about 45deg put a piece of tube in and got 1ltr in about 1.1/2 hrs. made up, drank most of it gave some away, it did not taste as sweet as i have herd other people saying. while i was ther picked some wild garlic and made some soup today with it for dinner(lovely):)

Bill

Nice one. Mine wasn't to sweet either, but nice. You can reduce it down to a syrup though apparently. Might try this next time round and stick it on top of my porridge.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sounds good and thick
Another project to look forward to next year. That and a lot more wine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE