Thoughts on using surplus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
I've got loads of surplus gear mostly because I get it cheap for hunting off car boot sales and it is all pretty rugged stuff.

Only yesterday I got a mint issued 30ltr bergen for 4 quid and even though it is camo'd I'd like to have seen anyone on here pass up that opportunity!!

And a pair of boots that look army issue (made by Magnum) that fit a treat for 2 quid that'll do me hunting this winter!!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I'm not a fan TBH, I tend too think that most surplus stores cost as much if not more for what you get! When you compare it. I'm not sure the kit is essentially any better, if it is all so good why do so many military personnel upgrade their issued kit with better quality kit? Then said issued kit gets sent to surplus stores?!But it takes all sorts & if people want to kick around looking military then that's for them!

Not my bag!

Some stuffs is okIMO like crusader cups, swedish army cook sets, polish army head overs etc but not much of its great kit (Reaps72 post above says it all) too much stuff and you go from Bushcrafting to Reinacting eh? ;)
none of my kit is millitary i use on a regular basis ive got stuff ive had and used over the years etc and have got better stuff as most of its complete crap, however clothing wise im a fan of flectarn as a woodland cammo for wildlife watching as its probably the best / cheapest cammo you can get too.
Head to toe in DPM is a thumbs down from me personally and best left to Military types, cadets TA etc imo, however its cheap and really who give a rats bottom? lol

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...none of my kit is millitary i use on a regular basis ive got stuff ive had and used over the years etc and have got better stuff as most of its complete crap, however clothing wise im a fan of flectarn as a woodland cammo for wildlife watching as its probably the best...

I'm the opposite. Most of my military stuff is gear cause it's tough, and it works well. Whereas ALL my CAMMO clothing is all civilian (Mossy Oak) cause it's just better cammo for hunting; also the civilian cammo comes in better selection of sizes, materials, and is designed for hunting (it has ammo loops, game pouches, etc.) But civilian cammo ain't cheap.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'll agree that it's just kit but....being in the military (any service) is a long way from "just a job."
Actually, i disagree- unless there is compulsory service, being in the army is just a job- certainly it is to the vast majority of those who sign up. They do so in the same way as anyone else chooses a career path- either by accident, because it offers a degree of certainty and structure (and of course pay), or because it’s inherent characteristics appeal - or likely a combination of all of those. I may be doing US servicemen/women a dis-service, but certainly in the UK the vast majority of people in the services do not sign up primarily because of an idealist desire to serve queen and country and play their part in bettering the planet. Of course that comes into it for many to a differing degree, but the most important factors to most are the exact same values that are attached to any career.

As far as using military kit goes- don't worry about not earning to right to wear it- if you buy surplus, you are financially supporting the military! The military does of course sell the kit onto the surplus market.....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually, i disagree- unless there is compulsory service, being in the army is just a job- certainly it is to the vast majority of those who sign up. They do so in the same way as anyone else chooses a career path- either by accident, because it offers a degree of certainty and structure (and of course pay), or because it’s inherent characteristics appeal - or likely a combination of all of those. I may be doing US servicemen/women a dis-service, but certainly in the UK the vast majority of people in the services do not sign up primarily because of an idealist desire to serve queen and country and play their part in bettering the planet. Of course that comes into it for many to a differing degree, but the most important factors to most are the exact same values that are attached to any career...

You're not completely off on your assessment as far as it goes (although here a much larger percentage do choose from a sense of duty or family tradition) Where I was differentiating though was in the actual service (not how one makes the decision to serve) No civilian career I know of requires the "employee" to abandon his/her family for a year or more at a time, live in as austere conditions, face death regularly. No other vocation carries the sense of brotherhood among the members. And precious few other vocations give the same sense of accomplishment.

No. Military service IS a much more than a job; it's a brotherhood. True enough that not EVERYONE who has served completely understands that (particularly conscripts who just want to finish their time) but the majority of the all volunteer force do. At least the majority of the hundreds I served with do. The ones who didn't understand that; never lasted long but were very quickly discharged.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
You're not completely off on your assessment as far as it goes (although here a much larger percentage do choose from a sense of duty or family tradition) Where I was differentiating though was in the actual service (not how one makes the decision to serve) No civilian career I know of requires the "employee" to abandon his/her family for a year or more at a time, live in as austere conditions, face death regularly. No other vocation carries the sense of brotherhood among the members. And precious few other vocations give the same sense of accomplishment.

No. Military service IS a much more than a job; it's a brotherhood. True enough that not EVERYONE who has served completely understands that (particularly conscripts who just want to finish their time) but the majority of the all volunteer force do. At least the majority of the hundreds I served with do.

I do agree- in those terms, it is different from most other jobs.

I suppose what i was insinuating is that the sense of camaraderie, adventure etc are viewed by those that serve as a benefit and the inherent reason that they chose the career rather than factors which bestow upon them the reverence and hero worship from the wider populace (not that many forces men and women would expect or encourage this). And that's not saying that certain members haven't displayed acts of genuine heroism either where they have gone beyond the expectations of their job.

Gosh, it's complicated.

Having said all of that, I speak as someone who has enjoyed very much the US attitude towards their servicemen- and the discounts my ID card bought me on my holiday there!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Iv been buying direct from arktis at massive discounts on Dpm and American woodland smocks top notch b316 snippers for £50 new ,I think it's because we have moved over to the multicam that it's cheap so should be the same for you guys in the states and arktis are over your way to.I think it's the way forward can't see my nor@h fa@ce lasting five mins in the thick of it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Gosh, it's complicated.

Having said all of that, I speak as someone who has enjoyed very much the US attitude towards their servicemen- and the discounts my ID card bought me on my holiday there!

Even though it wasn't me personally who gave you those discounts, I'd still like to take the opportunity to say, "You're welcome, and thank you for your service."

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Yep chocolate brown dylon on desert Dpm comes out spot on ,,,but open up fabric with the salt ,my smock was so water resistant wasted one pack of dye.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Actually, i disagree- unless there is compulsory service, being in the army is just a job- certainly it is to the vast majority of those who sign up. They do so in the same way as anyone else chooses a career path- either by accident, because it offers a degree of certainty and structure (and of course pay), or because it’s inherent characteristics appeal - or likely a combination of all of those. I may be doing US servicemen/women a dis-service, but certainly in the UK the vast majority of people in the services do not sign up primarily because of an idealist desire to serve queen and country and play their part in bettering the planet. Of course that comes into it for many to a differing degree, but the most important factors to most are the exact same values that are attached to any career.

As far as using military kit goes- don't worry about not earning to right to wear it- if you buy surplus, you are financially supporting the military! The military does of course sell the kit onto the surplus market.....

Well, if they signed up today they had ten years of conflict to look at with no end in sight to make up their minds before joining up so I would think its more than just a job?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Iv been buying direct from arktis at massive discounts on Dpm and American woodland smocks top notch b316 snippers for £50 new ,I think it's because we have moved over to the multicam that it's cheap so should be the same for you guys in the states and arktis are over your way to.I think it's the way forward can't see my nor@h fa@ce lasting five mins in the thick of it.

How do you contact Arktis- do they have a web page? Not found it if they do!

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Old British Army Lightweight Trousers are pretty good, as are RAF Stone work trousers, getting them for les than a tenner means I'm not that bothered by the prospect of ripping them when I'm walking through the brambles, hawthorne etc.

Having said that, I prefer my paramo clothes, Magnum Boots and Osprey pack more than the surplus gear I've used over the years.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
I don't feel your having a problem, i just think your looking at the whole picture. Your weighing the subject and seeing that recycling is good and that the material is good for what you need and that at some time in the past it was used for something else. I don't see anything wrong with using them for what you need ,,,,,,,,,, this is coming from a guy who doesn't like uniforms or most camo.

bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE