Thoughts on using surplus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
I apologize if this topic has been discussed before (I did a search on surplus and didn't see anything)...

What are your views on folks using military surplus kit? Clothes, packs, pouches, cook sets, etc...

Also, what if they were not in the military and use this kit?

Here in the states, using surplus isn't exactly frowned upon (unless you are wearing a uniform with patches you didn't earn), but you do see a lot of "he's out playing army" comments.

I'm struggling with it, only because I have a great respect for our soldiers in uniform. I don't know why it makes me pause and reflect when I use surplus. Perhaps it's because I wasn't in the military and I don't feel as if I earned the right.

On the other hand... Surplus is often rugged, tested, inexpensive kit. The thrifty part of me looks at buying surplus as a way of recycling. Better that this surplus is used than have it sit forever in a warehouse, or get thrown away.

Anyway, what are your thoughts/beliefs on using surplus?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If you're on a tight budget, surplus is a good way to go.
It's robust and it's cheap.
Personally I don't wear cammo, because I spent 15 years wearing it professionally and have no desire to do so again, but I don't object to anyone else doing it.
What I would say is, don't wear the full suit.
Trousers with a non cammo jacket or vice versa.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... what are your thoughts/beliefs on using surplus?

Never really given it much thought. It's just stuff. Some of it is useful to me, like shelter and sleeping things and bits of brass, some of it isn't, like old tank tracks and field kitchens.

Decades ago I bought a lot of army surplus stuff because there was still an incredible amount left over from the Second World War years and it really was cheap. Supply and demand. Everybody in the ham radio club at school had a '19' set. I've had a pair of surplus aluminium cooking pans for well over 40 years, and I still use them occasionally. I took an issue bergen on a thousand mile ride earlier this year and it was very good for the job it had to do. It doesn't bother me at all that these things were made for the forces, it was taxes that paid for them.

Most of that stuff has gone now, so most 'army surplus' places either moved on or changed the way they do business. As far as I can tell the amount and quality of the kit isn't as good and the prices aren't so attractive as they were.

Beliefs? Strange thing to have beliefs about.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We have slightly different attitudes to the millitary over here than you do.

(Says she who loves army surplus...and the good sort of army surplus stores, too)

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I use some bits and pieces of surplus although I prefer od over dpm wherever possible, I think it looks less like playing army.

Currently have og longback bergen with side pockets (the one that the 95 bergen was based on think it's 90 or some such)
And goretex bivvy bag (that is dpm)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Surplus is one of my favorite sources. Another would be Scout gear (you might get similar comments if someone sees the BSA Fleur de Lis on your gear though) A third would be old west or mountaineer/rancher/trapper/explorer type gear but I suppose that might also attract attention of others who think you're being pretentious:dunno:

I guess when it comes down to it, most of the items I like might make someone look at me as if I'm playing (insert whatever here) But then again when I'm out and about in the woods I am playing so what does it matter?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've never even thought about it tbh mate, it's just kit and being in the army is just a job.

Keeping the items in circulation is good for people on a budget who want some old tough gear and for collectors.

I wouldn't wear the army badges though but that's as far as my 'respect' goes with this type of stuff.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
again as GrahamS said, but dont worry to much as the pattern is half way through changing to MTP, the old woodland or dessert DPM will soon just be seen as serplus gear.....

i like the respect you have for it, but i would not worry to much dude...

regards

chris.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
I'm not a fan TBH, I tend too think that most surplus stores cost as much if not more for what you get! When you compare it. I'm not sure the kit is essentially any better, if it is all so good why do so many military personnel upgrade their issued kit with better quality kit? Then said issued kit gets sent to surplus stores?!

But it takes all sorts & if people want to kick around looking military then that's for them!

Not my bag!

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
Thank you all for your viewpoints! It's enlightening. :)

I don't go out in full on military camo. I wouldn't wear the outfit, as it were. My surplus is basically a pack/pouches, a canteen cup, tarp, etc. I may wear a surplus coat or pants, but I try to keep it simple and as non-threatening as possible (where I live is a very liberal area, it's complicated sometimes).

My old man, now nearing 70, succinctly put it when I posed the question to him: "Who gives a s..."

Indeed, I shouldn't care, but sometimes I do. I'm weird that way. :)

i like surplus kit
i like to view it that instead of buying a brand new item i am recycling something that is still fit for use thus saving a bit of money for myself and doing my own little bit for the planet(not much as others still buy it)
i do remove any rank markings on clothing as i haven't served and its not my place to wear it. partly in respect of those who have served and partly as my father in law is ex royal marines and is red hot on rank labels and dont want to antagonise him

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Some of the Gore Tex stuff is very good value and like many on here I have a Swedish Army Trangia (amongst other stoves) but I'm not too blown away by the rest of the kit.

In short, I pick and choose but wouldn't want to wear it from head to foot as I don't want to look a complete Walter Mitty.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Interesting topic!

Just about everything's been said, but the main attraction of Army surplus was that it was once cheap and must have provided a couple of generations with working clothes and most importantly from our perspective, made for purpose clothing and equipment for outdoor use, which most certainly made a huge contribution to the current popularity of outdoor pursuits, so enabling today's multi-million £ outdoor industry.

My first decent framed rucksack was ex-military (although offering it to me today would deserve a slap) as were my jacket, boots and dixies and my old climbing mate's first Goretex jacket, which rankled me as he complained about having to pay £20 for something better than my expensive shop bought one.

Army Surplus from WWI was often the garb of many Working Class folk who went out of the cities in the 1930's, and the contribution these folk made to mountaineering and many other outdoor pursuits is immeasurable... it is rumoured that when Tenzing and Hillary were on Everest in 1953, four lads from The Creag Dhu were waiting at the foot of the mountain hoping for word that they'd failed. The sole survivor who steadfastly refuses to comment, is reputed to have crossed the closed Tibetan Border dressed in safron robes... he's 6'4", currently in his 80's and married to a 28 year old! :lmao:

I used to work with a man from the Western Isles who voiced indignance at the nonsense that Scottish Highland Dress was the kilt. If you've ever travelled Scotland's western seaboard, you'll agree with him that the real Highland Dress is the ex-Army Boiler Siut and Wellies! (Now nicked from oilfield service companies)

I once discovered that a workmate was an ex-soldier when I offered him a British Army hair shirt for work. If I repeated his words, I'd deserve to be banned from the forum!

It seems hilariously funny now, but every Hippy -at least in Europe- wore army surplus jackets. In my defence, I chose Dutch or Swiss Army gear... the Dutch because of their affinity for long haired louts and that they used .22 rifles in case they hurt someone (although lethal against a rabbit attack), and the Swiss because they thought the Swiss Army Knife was the ultimate defence against the Kalashnikov and Uncle Joe's Pipe Organ!

Pango.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
You could just dye it all. Use the darkest colour in the pattern and it will end up looking more street fashion than cammo.Point being it would then no longer look 'issue' and more like hunting gear.

Sandsnakes

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You could just dye it all. Use the darkest colour in the pattern and it will end up looking more street fashion than cammo.Point being it would then no longer look 'issue' and more like hunting gear.

Sandsnakes

Huh? Most hunting gear IS cammo over here. Or hunter's orange.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE