This week I will be mostly making ladles...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I was out all day today then had to spend 2 hours wrapping parcels to go off to the couriers. So no carving today but I'm in all tomorrow so I'll try and get another done, then it's onto spoons.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Started this sycamore dipper at 11 as I wanted to get all the housework out of the way first and got this far.

image.jpg1_zpsbh4m0fpr.jpg

The inside of the bowl just needs scraping and sanding. It went much faster than my previous ones as I cut a great chunk out of the centre using a plunge saw vibrating thingy and after making the sloping in cuts whacked out great chunks with a registered Morris chisel and big mallet. Still took a lot of gouge work but still worth getting a head start.

Now off for some porridge and a pipe and then back to work!

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
As I was carving the handle the hooked bit seamed to like a fat horses head so since the wife's birthday is coming up and she's always liked Thelwell and horses in general I'd have a go at carving a cartoon ponies head. She seams pleased with it anyway!

8.5" sycamore.

image.jpg1_zps2jyxe76v.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvvfgrznn.jpg

Needs a few more coats of walnut oil to bring out the grain. I cocked up the end of the mane, but it's meant to be stylised anyway!

And that's your lot for ladles for the moment, back to spoons for the next week.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For years, I have hogged out the middles of spoons and dishes with a Forstner bit in the drill press. No gold stars for wasting time.

The horse handle: A very fine addition. I've noticed that most of the really old stuff is decorated with some sorts of carvings.
I'd enjoy seeing you do more of that.

I've seen pictures of only 50 or 60 Mocotaugan knives. Hard to recall a plain one, same for D-adzes in the Pacific Northwest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE