this is puzzling me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hummm the drag mark is quite interesting and the fact that there are what appears to be prints on only one side of the drag ummm need to think

where where you?

James

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
jdlenton said:
hummm the drag mark is quite interesting and the fact that there are what appears to be prints on only one side of the drag ummm need to think

where where you?

James

Braunton Burrows in North Devon - running from a big shiny silver disc with green lights on it and a blue vapour trail.

Flux

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I haven't really got a clue but all I can think of that it might be is an ant carrying/dragging something...the equally spaced indentation are interesting.

Most likely not right but that's my best guess from a photo :)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Might not be of any help, but if you look at the track that runs along side the blade of grass the side that the "prints" are on the drag change and then change back again, so Bam might be on the right track of something dragging something.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I love guessing games.

Was it found by the sea? A small hermit crab perhaps? They drag themselves along and that thin line could be the pointy bit (protoconch? Apex? I don't know what the correct term is) on a shell.

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
I thought for a moment that the large prints were of a dog, and the small trail could be of a stick or chain being dragged by the animal...but then it could be an ant, with a bike (and whatever above) taking the dog for a walk? :D

I'll get my coat :p

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
redcollective said:
Was it found by the sea? A small hermit crab perhaps?

It was well above the highest normal high tide mark and meandered all over the place around the first clumps of Maram grass on the dunes. I wish I'd posted this when I took the pics and the scene was still fresh in my mind. Still it is a good game!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
my fist thoughts was a mouse or shrew dragging nesting materials I'm not sure on the insect front as its January but defiantly the maker of the prints was dragging something the double line in the drag mark says that to me the other idea i have is that what ever it was being dragged covered up one side of its track by either being dragged under the body of the animal or walking backwards but there seem to be no tail marks so maybe the walking backwards idea could be wrong. oh then again it could be a lizard with a damaged tail that's got warm enough in the sunshine to move.

Braunton Burrows very nice not been that way since i went climbing on baggy point a couple of years ago
James

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
In all probability its a Lizard track Pretty common after a sunny day. mosty likely to be a common lizard. I see them a fair bit on the other side of the estuary.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
a lizzard would explain the drag marks and the erratic zigzags of the track. but why is there a double drag mark and how has one set of leg prints been covered up by the drag?

James

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
bambodoggy said:
I haven't really got a clue but all I can think of that it might be is an ant carrying/dragging something...

that would be my guess to but i think it is probably something a bit bigger then an ant looking at the size of the print relative to the 2p

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I think what looks like double drag is probably shadows from light on a single drag. and the tails dont allways drag straight, especially when traversing a slope, so could well be covering the footprints on one side, which shows after turning a corner the other prints are revealed.

Ive spent pleny of time in dunes watching these critters so am certain about it being lizard. Way too far from the tide line for hermit crabs in Devon.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I do not think it would be a lizard it would be far to early in the year, as the lizard would be still in hibernation till early spring also lizards legs are on the sides of its body and would leave impressions on both sides of the single line.How far did these tracks go on for and did you follow them?

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Erm not down this way they are out both on the burrows and on Exmoor allready. they must have seen the same swallows I saw and figured it was about time to get up.

And as i said earlier i think that the marks are only on one side of the line as the opposing prints have been covered when the tail dragged over them. I have seen these tracks so many times that I am very sure they are lizard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE