Things that just blow you mind.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
This is a thread dedicated to various things that blow your mind,

I'll start off with, Air pressure effects bread baking. A loaf baked on a day with high pressure will not rise as much (significantly so depending on the bread) than it will on a day with low pressure. Even if the dough was proven then frozen on a low pressure day.

And follow up with, 0.2% salinity can result in bass feeding on the surface or mid water.

Whats yours?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ants can survive in a microwave: they are small enough to dodge the rays.

Please don't microwave ants though.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Every atom in your body was created in a star billions of years ago.........except for the hydrogen......which was formed shortly after the Big Bang!

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
MoT! With you on that fella! Not soppy mate! Takes a real man to say stuff like that! My son is 16 months and amazes me every single day! Best job in the world eh!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It gets better - my daughter is in her twenties and can drive me to the pub and buy me beer!

...and she's coming for a visit tomorrow :D

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Having a child is mind blowing, I dont know how or if I could deal with that.

Another one that blows my mind is, Lobsters never die of old age there is know upper limit known to there life span, they can also regenerate all lost limbs throughout there lifespan.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I watched some crows fishing once. They would rake through the local park bins to find bits of discarded McDonalds bun, break them up and place them at the edge of the pond, then wait, and wait and when a fish came to nibble they'd eat the fish.

Add to that, I recently read about the 'Oh-My-God particle', who and what is firing those I don't want to know. :)

"...The Oh-My-God particle was an ultra-high-energy cosmic ray (most likely a proton) detected on the evening of 15 October 1991 over Dugway Proving Ground, Utah. Its observation was a shock to astrophysicists, who estimated its energy to be approximately 3×1020 eV (3×108 TeV, about 20 million times more energetic than the highest energy measured in radiation emitted by an extragalactic object);[1] in other words, a subatomic particle with kinetic energy equal to that of 50 Joule, or a 5-ounce (142 g) baseball traveling at about 100 kilometers per hour (60 mph)..."

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I watched some crows fishing once. They would rake through the local park bins to find bits of discarded McDonalds bun, break them up and place them at the edge of the pond, then wait, and wait and when a fish came to nibble they'd eat the fish.

Add to that, I recently read about the 'Oh-My-God particle', who and what is firing those I don't want to know. :)

"...The Oh-My-God particle was an ultra-high-energy cosmic ray (most likely a proton) detected on the evening of 15 October 1991 over Dugway Proving Ground, Utah. Its observation was a shock to astrophysicists, who estimated its energy to be approximately 3×1020 eV (3×108 TeV, about 20 million times more energetic than the highest energy measured in radiation emitted by an extragalactic object);[1] in other words, a subatomic particle with kinetic energy equal to that of 50 Joule, or a 5-ounce (142 g) baseball traveling at about 100 kilometers per hour (60 mph)..."

I have seen that happen with ducks though, I have seen them eat a bit then use it as bait for Roach fry.

Also if you want a Oh-My God particle I can give you a chilli sauce that makes you scream OH MY GOD, the morning after.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was at a moth trap the other night. So many different types of moth, each one using a slightly different variation of a similar strategy (being a moth) to survive. And the patterns were amazing too

Black arches moth (picture from internet) was my favourite from that night
3739517407_19642695a0.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
the pleasure your kids give you , squared by the pleasure the grandkids give you

Spot on there chap, absolutely right. As a parent you are busy with the full time parenting duty but as a grandparent your allowed to step back and notice the changes in the grand children...its a wonderful experience :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE