Thermals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do your prefer

• Silk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SmartWool/Wool

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • Other (meraklon or whatever

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Thermals are the first in a multiple layer that is trapping warm air and also allowing warmth robbing body moisture to vent. Proponents of the vapor barrier system would have us trap this moisture and recycle it's warmth in a nice wet sauna. The main flaw in this system is when you remove your clothing all that moisture vents with attendant rapid chilling. A secondary problem is the buildup of body odor and being a highly evolved relative of a sponge. Discard this system thermals are measured by how well they accomplish this traspiration. Fishnets are superb, creating warm air pockets with plenty of room for water to migrate. I've found the Wiggys to work well in milder temps. The fishnet weave can be somewhat abrasive and the material is flammable vs wool. Brynjies are the older, european make and available in optional materials. Randy should be testing these soon. I've found for colder temps wool or poly will provide greater insulation with adequate traspiration. Poly has the problem of retaining body odor. Silk is best for milder temps, but can also be paired with lighter wool or poly instead of 'expedition' wieght units.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Last weekend at Ashdown I was wearing a pair of longjohns from Kiwi Disposals which were an absolute bargain at NZ$12.50 a pair. They are made of wool which is quite soft. Very comfortable.

Only available in Extra Large unfortunately.

I wore a Norwegian Army Shirt as a vest, which was fine except that if you do some hard exercise and sweat, the cotton soaks up the moisture. I needed to dry out by the fire after a long hike on the Saturday afternoon.

Liz has some Merino wool base layers which I can't remember the name of at the moment.

I have a Helly Hansen Lifa vest which I bought for running in cold weather. I agree with the others, they do smell after a while.

Best wishes

Bruce

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Another contender from New zealand. Merino wool thermals from Icebreaker can't be beat for warmth even when wet. I've had 15 years motorbiking to learn the benefit of a good set of thermals and these are the tops :biggthump
But as a base layer in the summer then it's got to be Paramo

cheers,

Martin

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Those Norgee shirts are ideal for evenings because they're relatively windproof and warm, and you won't be sweating in the evening. They're also very comfy, but you wouldn't want to get too close to the fire in them :burnup:
In Scandinavia everyone wears Ulfrotte or the Craft Pro tops (www.craft.se, it's a scandi icon :biggthump ). I've never worn the Ulfrotte but the Craft things are fantastic. You can't get them in the UK though :11doh:

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I favour tight fitting leather basques.......whoa wrong forum,eh yes ,yes, helly hansens-yeah ive never found them that comfortable,warm yes but itchy and smelly. ive used a couple of M@S merino jumpers via charity shops,with better results.recent sale purchase of haglof themals have also impressed me warm and comfortable.ha ha ha leather basques indeed....

zagabul

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
London
www.aloxworld.com
Smartwool for me.
It doesn't smell, it's not itchy and it keeps you warm! Perfect.

I find it warmer that the "technical" clothes they sell for bikers like Oxford ChillOut and so...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Grand dad top and bottoms from Lidl or Aldi (can't remember) and a set from Peacocks, £4.99. Not really needed much in the UK temps to be honest.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I bought a set from Aldi the other day seem decent quality for the dollar although the top is only short sleeved, made of a thick clingy polyester.

Hoping to test them proper at the Ribble Valley meet that SimonM is sorting in January more so if im gonna use the hammock!

Bring on a whiteout & brass munkis swingin thru them trees! :umbrella:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I bought merino wool thermals in Aldi last year, and I thought they were good for the money. The top's short-sleeved though iirc.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Hi Everyone

I work for Helly Hansen (well HH's PR agency)...

The traditional Helly Hansen base layer is made from LIFA, this is made of polypropelene (plastic man made substance) it absorbs very little moisture (Polyester base layers hold 60% more moisture) so when you wear one and sweat the moisture is pushed through the baselayer and evaporated. This is usually why they tend to smell over a period of time, however if you wash them regularly you should be fine, also HH have invested alot of £££ to make sure they don't smell any new base layers anyone buys should not suffer from this problem.

Also there is a baselayer range called HH Warm from Helly Hansen which is two layers bonded together, One layer being the LIFA that works so well and the other layer being Merino wool - Which doesn't hold odour.... So the HH Warm will keep you very warm and not smell incase anyone is venturing into the cold anytime soon.

J

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Just another response to my above response.....
I'm not trying to sell Helly Hansen and i don't recieve anything if you lot buy their gear, just thought i'd give some facts about the clothing as people were discussing it and as a Public Relations person i'd rather the info was right than wrong.

J

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Went to Aldi today to have a look at the thermals, but there's not a lot left in my local store. The blokes stuff is all 'small' tops (in either white or blue), together with a couple of XXL longjohns. A far amount of womans stuff left though. However, I did manage to get a T-shirt, which cost a whole £2.99.

Since they also had bottles of Wychwood Black & White Witch (normally impossible to get), I'm well pleased. I might try a new branch they've just opened nearby - you can never have too much beer...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Went to Aldi today to have a look at the thermals, but there's not a lot left in my local store. The blokes stuff is all 'small' tops (in either white or blue), together with a couple of XXL longjohns. A far amount of womans stuff left though. However, I did manage to get a T-shirt, which cost a whole £2.99.

Since they also had bottles of Wychwood Black & White Witch (normally impossible to get), I'm well pleased. I might try a new branch they've just opened nearby - you can never have too much beer...

They sell Bamboo tea shirts from time to time for a fiver.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How do you find the bamboo to wear ?
It's really just bamboo processed to produce celluose and that's then turned into bamboo viscose. ........like the soya bean silk.
I've spun both, and they are lovely to work with, makes a good addition to feltmaking, but I've never worn it.
The Chinese fibre manufacturers claim, "Bamboo fabric can absorb and evaporate human sweat in a split second. Because the cross-section of bamboo fiber is filled with various micro-gaps and micro-holes, bamboo fabric has much better moisture absorption."
Be interesting to hear how folks really get on with it.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE