Thermals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do your prefer

• Silk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SmartWool/Wool

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • Other (meraklon or whatever

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
tomtom said:
in this country, Andy, "thermals" are clothers.. under garments which are worn on very cold situations..
Ah thank you. :biggthump Well a wooly pully will do it for me. :wink:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There's something about the smell of a well-worn Helly Hanson....

They might stink but they're very good. I have still got my olive green military thermals too - they're OK.

I also use the 'Under-armor' stuff from the US but I wouldn't mind trying the smart wool (merino?) although it does seem a bit expensive...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
My favourite is latex :naughty:

ooh oops :yikes: Wrong forum ... :rolmao: :eek:):

I've got several sets of thermals: including the Ullfrotte 200 and another brand, which name I can't remember at this moment: it's with silver thread or something similar - it should work against sweaty smell etc. ... Didn't tested yet :roll:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I choose the wool category but I do mix it up a bit depending on the activity level and ambient temperature.

Wool is near perfect and SmartWool or Filson wool longjohns have just about replaced my use of the plastics. When I have a high activity day in mild cold AND I know I will not be staying out in the cold (ie day trip Nordic ski day) then the Patagonia capilene (polyester) is usually my choice. When I have either colder weather, or expect to have to wear this stuff for more than one day, it is wool hands down.

My absolute favorite quote comes from Garrett and Alexander Conover's "Winter Wilderness Companion" I find it perfectly true.

Next time you see a lunch-stop shot in someone’s slide show, you’ll be able to pick out who has what for underwear as if you had X-ray vision. Those flopped comfortably in the snow are probably-wearing layers of wool, and those standing with hunched shoulders and pinched expressions are probably desperately trying to heat up moisture trapped in a layer or two of synthetics.

Each year, news of the latest synthetics is covered exhaustively in outdoor magazines. The outdoor magazine trade is almost entirely funded by advertising contracts with purveyors of synthetics, and few editors are brave enough to offend their backers. Most of what follows concerns the virtues of natural fibers, as they are rapidly being forgotten. A whole generation of outdoor enthusiast has grown up in the age of synthetics and has no way of knowing whether alternatives exist or what they might be.

From my review of their wonderful book at JM's magazine.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=129

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Not a big "thermals" fan here - it doesn't often get cold enough for me to need them for warmth.
I like lowe alpine wicking T shirts as a base layer and Hom sport maxi underwear with the longish legs which are really well made & comfortable, whether it's warm or cold

I add a pair of ron hill tracksters underneath polycotton pants if it's cold / wet.

Have used thermal tops from C&A or the like for skiing - like a non brand norgie top - and they were good.

I never bought into the whole HH thing like some of my mates in the UK who obviously found this kit good enough that for 3/4 of the year they could go out on the hill wearing little more than their underwear !

Wool for me is a total no no - merino or not, it still itches.
I've a great Herdwick sweater (super scatchy) but need two layers underneath it to keep it at bay :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE