There's a moose loose aboot this hoose.....

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Just had an interesting half hour chasing a wee field mouse out of the house. He was a cute wee fella. I felt kind of bad about chasing him out of the warm and dry, back into the rain. He probably came in because his home had been ploughed over or something.

If it had been up to me, I wouldn't have much minded him staying.

Still, the screams of my wife and daughter demanded action.

He's welcome to move into the garden shed if he likes....

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I once tried to remove a mouse from my student house. Despite my best efforts to catch it humanely, I managed to catch it with door and door jam.:( I was really upset about what I did so good on you for being nice to a mouse.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Trust me, you don't 'want' the little blighter in the house, or the shed :(
They are incontinent little beasts, even if they are cute, and like teething babies they chew and slobber on everything :sigh:
Destructive and they despoil wherever they go.
Bonnie wee things though :D

I miss my cat, the amount of damage on stuff in my shed this Winter was unbelievable.

cheers,
Toddy

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Meh, try as I might I can't bring myself to dislike mice. Rats on the other hand....

Mice were a fact of life for thousands of years. In the days of draughty stone and wood houses where people spent most of their time out of doors, I doubt mice were really that much of a problem unless they got into your grain store.

These days with plaster and breeze block houses, electrical wiring, excessive food waste etc. etc. man has come into conflict with mice. We now have lots of stuff we don't want the mice touching. Humans have become much more territorial about their possessions. The mice as always have the same priorities - food and nesting material. One stole a whole load of cotton wool from me once. I bet that made a good nest ;)

The way I look at it is, it is us that are the problem, not the mice.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My back garden, beside the outside tap/bench.

I took a mohair fleece out of the shed, dumped it out of the plastic bag into one of the huge double handed green plastic trugs, and poured a bucket of water over it, went back to the tap, refilled the bucket, poured it over the fleece, and a wee moose popped up.
It was the funniest damned thing :D I scooped it out with the plastic jug that I use for watering plants in the greenhouse, and it shoogily staggered off, shaking itself, one leg and one lug at a time, like something out of Tom&Jerry, with the whole expression that said, "What the hell happened ???????".
It must have been snoozing blissfully in a nice warm woolly nest, and suddenly it found itself immersed in a bucket of icy cold water with not a clue as to what had happened.

I laughed. I admit it, I laughed so much my face ached and my ribs were ready to cramp. Poor wee beastie, but I'm glad it wandered off away from the open shed.

M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its the one animal that's brought me to tears, Whilst serving over seas we worked in an ops room for our Sqn while not out and about, in the building the locals used squares of card with gorilla snot glue daubed on one side as mouse traps, while covering the duty on a particularly slow night, I found two mice stuck to one card, there is no way on earth to un stick said mouse from card, i went out side intent killing them with a quick squish with a heavy rock, no problems there, after the deed was done( and I promise it was quick) I returned to my chair to watch the rest of the Only fools and Horses dvd marathon I was involved in:D and lubbed for a good 10 minuets! but I did feel a lot better after, very strange night, I also received a parcel from my wife the next morning, she had tried to smuggle me some port, In a bag, inside an empty and washed out head and shoulders bottle, not washed out enough:yuck::yuck::yuck::dancer:

Biker

I was going to post this in a new thread but here's the perfect place.

I was sat in my comfy chair the other day reading my book and the rain splattering against the window just enjoying the sound of it and a good book on my Kindle. When suddenly I had an attacked of the munchies. Now figuring the kitchen was too far away I opened up a conveniently situated cupboard and hooked out one of the 4 cereals bars I keep in there. Only to find one of them nibbled. Mouse poop over the bottom of the cupboard and plastic wrapping pieces everywhere.

Now I like mice, but there are some places I don't want them. No big deal you may ask yourself. Well the seat I was sat in was the driver's seat of my car and I was parked in a layby 6 miles from home chilling out after work. The glove compartment is where I kept the cereal bars.

I have a mouse living in my car somewhere under the dashboard!!

Laid a trap last night and he took the bait but didn't spring the trap. Tonight I'm placing two there.

Let the hunt begin... before he chews through wiring or something.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wasn't it Rapidboy who shot one with a shotgun......indoors....having missed with the first shot??

I confess to having shot one of the beggars indoors too ....didn't use a scattergun.....still made one hell of a mess on (and of) the skirting board though!

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I too have shot one in door's(hw77 .22) our last house had loads of them and then we got rat's, we lived right next to the farm grain storage, hope i never get either here,well and truely did my head in,the rats flooded the kitchen eating through a pipe for the washing machine,then ate through the wall above the cooker,mice ate holes through all the cereal boxes,damn pesky beggars.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
We tend to get one as soon as the weather gets cold; we hear it sometimes in the loft. My roof has a fair air gap between the eaves, which is how it gets in.

As soon as I hear it, down goes the plastic tray and the pellets. Funnily enough I never find a deceased mouse so I don't know how long this stuff takes to work.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Poison is one of the cruellest ways you can kill an animal. They die in agony from massive internal haemorrhaging.

If you must kill mice, at least use an old fashioned sprung trap. That usually provides a quick and humane neck-break.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Poison is one of the cruellest ways you can kill an animal. They die in agony from massive internal haemorrhaging.

If you must kill mice, at least use an old fashioned sprung trap. That usually provides a quick and humane neck-break.

I never really considered that.

I shall get some sprung traps for this winter.

Animal cruelty in any form riles me, so thanks for the nudge.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
You're welcome, and thank you for being willing to reconsider your position. :)

It is a rare thing these days, especially on the internet.

Biker

Found I got the little illegal squatter in my car on Wednesday morning*. Have now started on a mouseskin gloves ... well one finger to start with at least.

* Trust me, it was quick. Snap traps usually are. Just wondering now if it laid eggs and I have a whole gaggle of 'em sometime.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
sometimes snap traps aren't quick.

put one in my kitchen to get the little destructive critter, it set the trap off but the bar came down on it's nose, it then dragged the trap out into the hall before it died.

not nice and not quick.

never used one since.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I always set traps in a make shift tunnel so the only way they can access the trap is by walking over the trip plate. Haven't had to set any recently as the cat seems to be working overtime!

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I get about 8 per week during the winter.

DSC00655.JPG

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I like that bucket idea, but having a few cats I don't see mice or rats very often, occasionally a dead or very soon to be dead one but even then they usually take them off somewhere else. Once I did have to finish off a bird that escape from one of the cats - not particularly plesant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE