The Yosemite High Sierra Loop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

This was a local trip for me, but it is probably be an "overseas trip" for most forum members. My understanding is that many people from the UK visit Yosemite National Park each year. So you may already be planning a trip to the park.

Yosemite National Park just celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Yosemite Grant Act. When President Lincoln signed the act, the concept of preserving wilderness instead of exploiting it was a novel idea. We have a thread (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123170) that talks about the anniversary.

Since I do not post many trips, I thought I would share my favorite one to Yosemite for anyone who might be interested. It is a 7-day 54-mile loop through Yosemite's High Country.

I will update this post with links to the pictures and descriptions of the trip so anyone interested can take a look. It may take awhile because unfortunately, I do not type very fast. :rolleyes:

BCFRM_HDbehind.jpg

The High Sierra Loop - Introduction

The link above describes the loop and provides information for anyone wanting to plan a similar trip. It explains how and why I planned my trip. I lacked the confidence to backpack solo through the high country. So my goal was to use the High Sierra Camps as “risk control” to permit me to hike solo during the day and still benefit from human company in the evenings. As they usually do, my plans go awry. I did not get the solo trip I wanted, but instead ended up with one of my most fun trips, ever.

BCFRM_Lembert-DomeSM.jpg

The High Sierra Loop - Arrival

Sorry, a crazy week at work delayed the rest of the pictures. The link above recounts my arrival in Tuolumne Meadows, a dayhike along the Tuolumne River, and meeting our ranger-guide for the 7-day trip.

bcfrm_waterfall.jpg

The High Sierra Loop - Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin
Starting Elevation: 8775 ft. (2675 m)
Ending Elevation: 7800 ft. (2378 m)
Approximate Mileage: 9 miles (14.5 km)
Away we go! Passing archaeological sites and soda springs, things get interesting on the trail. Mountains make their own weather.

bcfrm_Brook_Trout.jpg

The High Sierra Loop - Glen Aulin to May Lake
Glen Aulin to May Lake
Starting Elevation: 7800 ft. (2378 m)
Ending Elevation: 9270 ft. (2825 m)
Approximate Mileage: 8.5 miles (13.7 km)
We climb from Glen Aulin through lodgepole pine forest and ascend an imposing granite ridge. We manage to catch some food for dinner along the way and enjoy the colors of the sunset displayed on the granite peaks.

bcfrm_Hoffman.jpg

The High Sierra Loop - May Lake to Sunrise Camp
May Lake to Sunrise Camp
Starting Elevation: 9270 ft. (2825 m)
Ending Elevation: 9400 ft. (2865 m)
Approximate Mileage: 8.25 (13 km)
We descend from May Lake to Tenaya Lake and then climb the steep switchbacks to Clouds Rest junction. We hike through ancient junipers and swim in crystal clear lakes on our way to our camp overlooking the beautiful Long Meadow.

bcfrm_Jayne.jpg

The High Sierra Loop – Sunrise Camp to Merced Lake
Sunrise Camp to Merced Lake
Starting Elevation: 9400 ft. (2865 m)
Ending Elevation: 7150 ft. (2179 m)
Approximate Mileage: 9.5 miles (15.5 km)
The group bushwhacks in the spirit of the first explorers of Yosemite's high country. We cross Long Meadow and descend a rock formation named for a famous actress' distinct anatomy. Again off trail, we visit a hidden waterfall and fish for trout. Finally we ascend a granite trail beside the Merced River to arrive at our camp for days 4 & 5.

bcfrm_vogelsang.jpg

The High Sierra Loop – Merced Lake to Vogelsang
Merced Lake to Vogelsang via Fletcher Creek
Starting Elevation: 7150 ft. (2179 m)
Ending Elevation: 10100 ft. (3078 m)
Approximate Mileage: 7.8 miles (12.5 km)
This is the last part of the series. We climb into alpine terrain, keeping cool by soaking in high mountain streams. After traversing a high mountain meadow, we arrive at Vogelsang camp (10,100'). I get a fly fishing lesson and land my first fish! It is a humongous gigantic enormous (NOT!) brook trout!

At this point, all portions of the hike have links (in blue text) on this thread for people who want to plan a similar trip. It was an amazing experience that I encourage everyone to try. For those hesitant to backpack, have problems carrying weight, or do not want to travel from the UK with a multi-night backpack, the High Sierra Loop gives you a true backcountry experience with the advantage of a warm place to sleep and congenial human company.

If you go on a trip in the Yosemite High Country, please feel free to share your experiences and pictures on this thread.

Regards!

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I have be fortunate to travel all over the world and Yosemite is with out question my favourite place on earth.
4ereja3e.jpg
y9y9ysat.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have be fortunate to travel all over the world and Yosemite is with out question my favourite place on earth.
y9y9ysat.jpg

Tomcoles, that is a great picture of you and the fallen giant sequoia! I went through a phase when I traveled, that whenever I saw an amazing view I would mentally compare it to Yosemite. I will try to post more pictures of my own.

Did you get a chance to see Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls, or Glacier Point?

- Woodsorrel

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Tomcoles, that is a great picture of you and the fallen giant sequoia! I went through a phase when I traveled, that whenever I saw an amazing view I would mentally compare it to Yosemite. I will try to post more pictures of my own.

Did you get a chance to see Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls, or Glacier Point?

- Woodsorrel

Yes the picture with me sat on a rock is at glacia falls here's a few more
amanebe5.jpg
a9avupen.jpg
yry5uvy9.jpg
py6yzery.jpg
u4a8ysep.jpg
4y5aja8u.jpg

Simply the most beautiful place on earth I have been. Africa, Caribbean, Australia were amazing but not a patch on Yosemite
ty6ebama.jpg
aty3u5e2.jpg
8utagasy.jpg
y5erygu6.jpg
jy9e2e9u.jpg

Although oz had incredible wildlife

(Sorry to digress)

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I have loads of pictures from my travels the whale shots below are some of my favourites as well spotted off montery California
y4a8uha2.jpg
aguqu4er.jpg

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Technically there bad photos as I am no were near as talented as I wish I was. However the subject in the photos is interesting.

If anyone gets even a tiny chance to go to Yosemite. Then grab it with both hands and everything you have got. It's simply not possable to discribe how amazing it is.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Ah Woodsorrel, you sucked me in with stunning photography, eloquently written, nicely sized paragraphs and then you buggered off for a cigarette break (or somewhere) just when it got interesting?! Get back to the keyboard man and tell us how it finished! :dunno:

Ah Woodsorrel, you sucked me in with stunning photography, eloquently written, nicely sized paragraphs and then you buggered off for a cigarette break (or somewhere) just when it got interesting?! Get back to the keyboard man and tell us how it finished! :dunno:

Haha! Will do, Qwerty! Unfortunately, I type very slowly. :)

I also needed to get some "dirt time" this weekend, as it was a holiday in the US. While hiking, I found the fresh carcass of a Gray Fox (Urocyon sp.). It was the first time I had seen one of these beautiful creatures. They are very secretive. Gray Fox are native to the US and have retractable claws. So it is a dog that can climb trees! Eventually, I will post pictures of it here on the forum.

I also experimented, using Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon sp.) as chewing gum. The plant contains a powerful decongestant and was used in a tea to treat bronchial complaints by the local indigenous people. However, I was skeptical about is suitability as chewing gum. It turns out it works quite well, as long as you don't mind your mouth tasting like Yerba Santa for several hours... :rolleyes:

I apologize for the delay. I just want to do a good job writing the trip report. I hope to have more this week.

- Woodsorrel

Hi Everyone!

A crazy week at work delayed the rest of the pictures. I added the link below to the first post in this thread. This is for you, Qwerty! :D

BCFRM_Lembert-DomeSM.jpg

The High Sierra Loop - Arrival

The link recounts my arrival in Tuolumne Meadows, a dayhike along the Tuolumne River, and meeting our ranger-guide for the 7-day trip. I will add more pictures as soon as I can and a description of the first leg of our hike.

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE