The winds are not my friend!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Last weekend I had to cancel a meet due the the wind bringing a tree and some branches down in my "Big Woods" perm... I have yet to get back up there to see the recent results...
Today I took a stroll while oil was drying on the shelf I have put up was drying... (always busy!)
Several large-ish bits of wood have come down in my "Small Woods" perm ... one destroying the table that has been up for about 6 years...
Ah well - a project for my next night out in those woods!
Since my original "Base-Camp" was totally destroyed when ALL the trees were blown down onto/into/over the site I am getting paranoid about wind in the trees - but am I paranoid enough?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Last weekend I had to cancel a meet due the the wind bringing a tree and some branches down in my "Big Woods" perm... I have yet to get back up there to see the recent results...
Today I took a stroll while oil was drying on the shelf I have put up was drying... (always busy!)
Several large-ish bits of wood have come down in my "Small Woods" perm ... one destroying the table that has been up for about 6 years...
Ah well - a project for my next night out in those woods!
Since my original "Base-Camp" was totally destroyed when ALL the trees were blown down onto/into/over the site I am getting paranoid about wind in the trees - but am I paranoid enough?

And breath........

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think you have to weigh up the amount of trees that fall, the short time it takes for them to fall, divided by the area of the wood and the space/time an average person would take up in the wood as an average per year.

I spend last weekend in a north wales woods listening to the tree`s clattering away, whatta ya gonna do?

Well me, I slept like a baby in complete ignorance.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm! Now I'm racking my brain trying to remember all about TOPEX readings where you work out the likelihood of trees coming down through soil structure, elevation, predominant winds and species type. All sorts of tables involved but I quite enjoyed it as part of my job.
I'd look on it as part of the circle of things though. (Que music & lions :D ). If they didn't fall you'd have to chop them and all the diversity would be taken out of the woods. Sorry about your chair/table. Still as you say you get to try new designs now, build a more comfortable set up so you can spend longer. ;)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
And this is why many 'professional' woodsmen don't sleep in the woods! I shall continue with my amateur ways though...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am fortunate enough never to have been in a woods at a time when the trees were coming down all around, though I have had times when I have felt distinctively uneasy during high winds watching the degree to which the trees bend.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
you can only dodge the falling tree that your looking at. for me being in the woods when its windy is a big no no. no amount of string above you is guna stop you getting squished.

its also worth remembering if one tree in an area has fallen recently more are likely to follow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE