The Whelen shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
First saw one of these on pinterest last year and have wanted to have a go at making one since. I much prefer a tarp to a tent but have found that using one in 'lean to' mode leads to spark burns in my nylon DD tarps.
Last week I put this set up together using the base of an abandoned 4 person tent and a big raggedy polytarp which had been left in my local woods. Its not exactly true to the original but it worked very well. It was a dry night followed by an early morning downpour but the shelter enabled me to keep the fire going and enjoy a brew while I waited for the rain to stop.
I'll be making a few mods and changes but I'm looking forward to using this set up a few more times this winter.

wp_20151230_012.jpg

Here's the original with Col. Whelen himself

the-whelen.png

And here's a short video of how the shelter worked out overnight

[video=youtube;DF0pY-JMvO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0pY-JMvO4[/video]

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I have a bit smaller version of this shelter, adapted a mosquito netting to the open.
Not only read but have the book of B. Angiers an Col. Whelen, plus many other from B. Angiers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE