The Wayland Kista ( Old Norse Chest.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Beautiful work, hoss. I would have thrown the box into the fire by now, no doubt! Can't wait to see it all finished up.

Are you going to use riffler files for the final finishing?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looking good, I always found faces hardest to draw and my only attempt to carve one had to obscured with a beard....

wood%252520spirit%2525201c.jpg

and that looks like it is attached with an elastic string.

Rob

That looks great Rob. Before taking on this project, the only faces I have carved are the few Viking style "God" posts that you can see stacked in the side of some of the pictures above.

Compared to these, they were quite easy because they are quite stylised. The ones on this chest are a step closer to reality and I guess, because we communicate so much with our faces, we soon spot if something is not right with a face.

The sense of depth in these scenes is amazing.

One of the things you have to get your head around is how to make one thing appear to be in front of another. There is only half an inch between the surface and the background. In some cases that means you can physically set things at different levels but than only goes so far. The rest has to be done with optical illusion and it's been interesting to realise how much this was done with artwork of the time.

We tend to think of perspective being invented in the Renaisance but you cannot create knot work like effects without understanding and showing that one thing sits in front of another.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This is Wayland being forced to make treasures for the King.

Many of the stories of the age, such as Beowulf refer to these treasures. This sword or that armour was "Wayland's work" which was tantamount to calling it magical.

One of the ill fated brothers is working the bellows in this scene.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Not sure yet. It's sitting in my stock pile at the moment waiting for a job that needs a thicker peice of wood.

Very often I see an artifact in a book or museum and that inspires me to start making something. My stock pile is full of bits from old furniture, skip finds and currently a shed load of oak from the B&Q clearance.

The next thing I'm considering making that needs wood, probably some of the thinner oak cladding, is a reliquary box.
The sort of thing a Viking might steal from a monastery to use as a jewellery box.
WeComeInPeace.gif

I've also got a ship's weather vane in my sights but that's just a metalwork job.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
It looks very good! Is there any evidence of carved panels being painted? ( i prefer the unpainted look)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The Vikings certainly did paint woodwork. There is evidence at Oseberg and Gokstad for that.

The stave churches that survive seem to have been treated with tar but when that started is uncertain.

I'm aiming to use a mixture of oil and tar which will still let the wood show through but should darken it down.

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

Jul 5, 2015
Edinburgh, UK
I keep thinking to myself that this is too good to use... to risk something happening to it. But then I remind myself that it is a working piece of furniture. It has been MADE to be used. If it gets totally banged up while travelling, the carving will represent a couple of weeks of work and to be honest it would be able to take a lot of punishment before its function as a chest was impaired.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE