The Wayland Kista ( Old Norse Chest.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland-Killing-the-Princes.jpg

OK, the next scene.

Here we have the sticky ending for the Princes that I promised you.

I've also reworked Blöðvildr a little. She's still no great beauty but at least it's a bit more flattering.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I think you are definitely going to have drop any thoughts of woodworking not being one of your proficient skills

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I must say that oak has been a surprise.

I expected it to be really hard to work but once the tools are sharp enough, it carves like cheese.

You have to keep your eye on the grain of course but you can carve within 80 points of the grain direction which is far better than I expected.

I've had remarkably few breakouts, even when I've pushed my luck.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have been playing with the idea of doing some relief board carvings to mount on the walls, watching this thread and your work develop is very inspirational, mine won't be Viking based but it would be very cool if i could make them tell a story, the only idea i had so far what i'd like to try was to do a version of the Game of Thrones 4 families thing

I have a better picture of it but currently can't find it

1434624.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My major procrastination at the minute is i keep saying when i get a bit better at carving i'll start some of my more adventurous project ideas, then when i get a bit better than the better i just got to ........ i guess that procrastination could run to infinity. I'm still a relative novice in the wood carving game i've only been at it since July last year.

I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned a rotary tool, can i ask what this is please?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
It is more of an heirloom than a project! Ive admired things in museums and pew ends that that wouldnt look amiss alongside...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It is more of an heirloom than a project! Ive admired things in museums and pew ends that that wouldnt look amiss alongside...

It's a bit of a shame it will only be used occasionally. We haven't got room for it in the house really, that is full of bookcases, so it's going to spend most of it's life stored away, ready for the next event.

You will have to get little cards with copies of the relevant parts of the story on it because you will be 'splainin' to folks everywhere you take that box.

One of it's uses will be as a bench seat for a storytelling project I am working on. In the mean time, telling people the tale of Wayland wil be good practice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE