The Wayland Kista ( Old Norse Chest.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I figured giving myself a consistent "ground" to aim at with the router was probably them easiest way to go. It will also make it easier to balance up the two sides.

I'll clean the surface up with a gouge so the machining marks will disappear. You know how closely it will be examined once I'm on site somewhere.

Something else to consider using for that is a router (but a pre electric version) which is like a flat spokeshave handle with a vertical L shaped blade you adjust up or down for depth of cut. Joiners used them to clean the bottoms of housings to a precise depth eg in staircases (a job done almost always with routers or cnc now) But if the blade was razor sharp and set a touch below your routed level it would give you a smooth flush finish.
The other thing that occured to me was did the viking artisans ever use stamped or embossed textures in the sunk areas of a relief carving like yours? Even simple dots or ring shapes look good.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It looks like it is on the surface but the peg tops conceal long stainless steel screws underneath.

I wasn't 100% sure how dry the wood was so I didn't want to take any chances on it warping to bits so I cheated a bit.

The viking craftsman would certainly have used planks that were split radially out of a clean straight log, effectively quarter sawn stock, which once seasoned is extremely stable

LOL I split out some huge chestnut planks like that, 2 and 3 inch thick "quarter sawn" boards 3 feet wide, 4 and 5 feet long, part seasoned. When we moved house the removal men left them behind :banghead:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Something else to consider using for that is a router (but a pre electric version) which is like a flat spokeshave handle with a vertical L shaped blade you adjust up or down for depth of cut. Joiners used them to clean the bottoms of housings to a precise depth eg in staircases (a job done almost always with routers or cnc now) But if the blade was razor sharp and set a touch below your routed level it would give you a smooth flush finish.
The other thing that occured to me was did the viking artisans ever use stamped or embossed textures in the sunk areas of a relief carving like yours? Even simple dots or ring shapes look good.

Thanks for the tip, that may be useful for projects in the future. On this one I want a slightly rough gouged appearance for the background which is consistent with some of the original carvings.

The Oseberg ship has a wide checkered background carved on the bow and stern carvings but I don't recall any stamped backgrounds although I may well be wrong.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The viking craftsman would certainly have used planks that were split radially out of a clean straight log, effectively quarter sawn stock, which once seasoned is extremely stable

LOL I split out some huge chestnut planks like that, 2 and 3 inch thick "quarter sawn" boards 3 feet wide, 4 and 5 feet long, part seasoned. When we moved house the removal men left them behind :banghead:

Oh bad luck. I'd have sent them back for them.

The oak I was able to get was the best that was available in my location. I noticed that B&Q had started selling 900mm x 300mm "Natural Oak" planks with straight or wany edges for rustic looking projects. Not thier usual kind of stock in my area I must say.

They had a big pile which I searched through the straight edged stock for the best bits. Again, I don't have the tools for sawing large stock and my hand sawing skills are amateurish to saw the least.

A couple were sawn across the centre but the rest were all over the place. I took the best five planks, one would cut in half to make the ends. What I had were the two centre sawn ones and three that were just off but knot free. I figured that would be best for carving.

It appears to be reasonably seasoned but I can't be certain so I decided to use the screws to be sure. I don't have a problem with that in places where I know they will never be seen. The boxes are thrown in and out of vehicles and handled far more than the originals would have been so the extra strength is probably a good thing.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As a side note. My usual source of oak for small projects had been a range of solid oak cladding and dado rails that B&Q carried. Not the cheapest way of buying it but suitable for my needs and lack of facilities.

I went in this week to discover that they had discontinued the range and replaced it with some nasty veneered MDF rubbish. Annoying but not surprising I suppose.

By chance I found the last of the old stock in the clearance section and walked away with £4-500 worth of oak in useful sizes for £80. Enough to last me a very long time.

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/theres-oak-then-theres-riven-oak/
https://pfollansbee.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/boards-chest-front.jpg
P Follansbeee makes colonial style furniture from riven oak which is decorated with relief carving (geometric, not the same style as yours obviously)
All the parts are split out of oak logs, no sawing except to do tenon shoulders (even tenon cheeks get split off....!)
Any way you have an excellent project on the go, looking forward to another instalment!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's a seriously good bit of work on there, leaves my plans a little pale in comparison.

The only big pieces of wood that I have riven was the oak we used for the beams to build this.

Bishops_Wood_1.jpg

We started with big 4-5' diameter trunk sections and split it with axes and gluts. The sound of them cracking open is something I will never forget.

Bishops_Wood_3.jpg
Bishops_Wood_2.jpg

Sadly burned down a few years ago. (Accidentally)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This is turning out to be an amazing project, both in conception and execution, considering you don't consider yourself a woodworker; I admire your application to the task, great work :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Believe me. Before I started this I had serious doubts about how it would turn out. Wood is definitely not my strong suit.

I wanted to learn and that is what I am doing. I'm one of those fortunate people that can learn by reading so to miss quote Newton. If I have got this far it is by standing on the shoulders Giants

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Wayland, can I just say that you obviously have an artistic eye with whatever medium you are working with. It strikes me that whatever material you set your mind on using you accomplish great results.

Great progress, it is looking very cool.

Rob.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland, can I just say that you obviously have an artistic eye with whatever medium you are working with. It strikes me that whatever material you set your mind on using you accomplish great results.

Great progress, it is looking very cool.

Rob.

I think that perhaps I have an eye for detail which helps but an important factor is having the time to do things like this.

The only reason I've been able to contemplate this is the school holidays, which means my work dries up for six weeks.

I've been able set aside a full day for each of the remaining scenes and a day for finishing. On top of the time already taken that is just not the sort of time many people can justify spending on a project that has no direct financial return.

For me it is time well spent learning a new skill. You never know, it might come in handy some day.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland-brought-before-the-King.jpg

Work went a bit slower today. Faces definitely take more time and this scene had five of them. What was I thinking?

Not quite finished, hands and a few details still to do but my hands were getting tired so it was time to stop.

Here Wayland is brought before King Niðuð, has his sword stolen and is then hamstrung on the orders of the Queen and forced to work for the King.

The figures in the background are the Princes who come to a sticky end a couple of scenes further on.

(This is starting to feel weird. Like one of those people that talks about themselves in third person. I might have to start calling him
Völund like the Vikings did.
Viking-Grin.gif
)

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Looking good, I always found faces hardest to draw and my only attempt to carve one had to obscured with a beard....

wood%252520spirit%2525201c.jpg

and that looks like it is attached with an elastic string.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE