The Wayland Kista ( Old Norse Chest.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is really impressive! And you say you aren't any good at woodwork, blimey.

Anyone who knows me could tell you just how frustrated I get with my lack of woodworking skills.

Most projects I do are finished in a day or two. This has already taken me four days and I reckon there's a couple of weeks to go before I'm done with it.

Call me impatient but I like fast results. With this one I'm deliberately working in short bursts and forcing myself to take breaks so I don't work faster than I can think.

As I hinted above, metal will tolerate a bit of bash it and see. Wood requires a much more thoughtful approach. I can't really stick it back on once it's been carved off.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Side-Two-Routed-and-Parted.jpg

OK. A quick break in the rain so this is where we're up to.

Side two with a couple of sections cut back to create relief, the cross overs chiselled in and some of the main partings cut in.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Fabulous post. Thanks for taking the time. I'm really looking forward to seeing the result. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am seriously impressed, I wouldn't even dare to attempt something like that. Back in the day when all boys had to do woodwork at school, I am the boy who never did woodwork. The proof of the pudding is that I have managed to slice my thumb this evening just carving a notch in a willow stick.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Very nice indeed, a truly useful piece of furniture.

I do find these boxes useful. On site they serve purposes as seating, storage and tables too.

Most of the boxes that have been found or identified have iron fittings and hinges. You can see some examples like that in my camp here.

I use lift off lids a lot though because you can get into the box even if you've got stuff on the top just by lifting and rotating the lid.

You can also see the loose lid as a separate work surface.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I am seriously impressed, I wouldn't even dare to attempt something like that. Back in the day when all boys had to do woodwork at school, I am the boy who never did woodwork. The proof of the pudding is that I have managed to slice my thumb this evening just carving a notch in a willow stick.

It is quite alarming to see how fast your working area becomes covered with razor sharp tools when you are carving.

I started out being quite careful but you soon get lax as you swap tools.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fabulous post. Thanks for taking the time. <Snip

Part of my reason for doing this thread as I work, is giving me another excuse to take breaks and slow myself down.

I do find that if I work for too long at a time I start getting careless.

Wayland my brother, an excellent way to honor the traditions of the Viking carvers. Thank you for cataloging your progress!

I believe it was Confucius that said many years ago. "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."

I have tried, within reason, to "do" as much as I can to understand the lives of our ancestors. This is another step on that journey and my respect is increasing by the hour.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I thought about that Bob, but as I have no effective way to secure such a large piece of wood without damaging it, I wanted the weight of the box to give it more inertia when sitting on the trestles.

I think doing something on the ends, which I'm considering, might be a bit more of a challenge though.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looking very good. I bought a router with a large box of bits a while back, but have always been a bit nervous about using it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE