The Unexpected Roundhouse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I was on a quick recce trip around the countryside here on the east coast to find a good spot for camping. I revisited a nice little family owned mixed wood plantation called Blinkbonny woods as I once camped there. Turns out the farmer and his family had been making a roundhouse (cross between your typical iron age roundhouse and a hobbit house) in which campers could stay the night. It was thoroughly unexpected despite the fact the family wood has its own website. I had a look around and wanted to ask the owner some questions about its construction, but I couldn't find him. Anyway, here's some pictures of the inspirational project. I want to do something like this one day.

The family wood has a Facebook page as well and I managed to find a few construction shots of the thing. They must've been working on it since last winter as I remember camping there summer/autumn last year and it wasn't there when I visited.

dAJNBmj.jpg

7MYOwLs.jpg

6rvpaQo.jpg

If you want to take a look at its construction photos, take a look at their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.572585026090408.145703.514062958609282&type=1

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That looks like a nice neat roundhouse, thanks for taking the pictures and showing them to us.

I imagine that no planning permission would be required as it is definitely a 'temporary' structure; left to itself it will slump back into the woods. I've seen a much bigger version at the Rydale folk museum.

Last edited by a moderator:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I think Rik was referring to your knowledge of the planning laws.
Nobody can build a permanent structure on their own land in the UK without having planning permission..................allegedly.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice find, I was expecting to see stone footings or post hole marks when I saw the thread title :)

Looks cosy, I like the turf roof

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Interesting statement that nobody can build a permanent structure without planning permission. Exempt farm buildings do not require it nor I think does a necessary shelter in a wood for the purposes of forestry.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
they usually still require a form of permission, even if not the same as a dwelling ;-) If it has a roof, then it is a structure, if it has walls then it is even more so; despite not being made of bricks and mortar. That round house would either require a prior notification of an agricultural or forestry building if the planning authorities see it as a shed, or planning permission for a part time (holiday) dwelling if they see it as somewhere you may sleep.

If the structure is moveable, even if not actually mobile, then it doesn't require permission. This is how you have caravans and sheppard huts or field shelters. allowed. They can have wheels of skids, but MUST be moveable without up rooting the structure

This is knowledge gained through building a number of structures in my woodland in Devon and due to nosy (and difficult) neighbours, have to do things by the book ;)

n.b. The farm buildings (even such things as an open sided hay barn) requires at least the prior note to put up. If it is in a field then you need to have a certain minimum acerage to allow prior note, but forestry has no minimum acerage.

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Would'nt class that as a permanent structure surely???

More than likely is a permanent structure as it isn't mobile or free standing, I have a large shed on my allotment, but it is not attached to my allotment, it is free standing so in theory it can be lifted and moved. The base is laid on three 4 X 2 timbers which are laid on flat slabs so nothing is permanent. I asked the local planning officers about it and they recommended this course of action when building it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76789218@N03/9775181541/in/set-72157635565941192

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Interesting statement that nobody can build a permanent structure without planning permission. Exempt farm buildings do not require it nor I think does a necessary shelter in a wood for the purposes of forestry.
Unfortunately farm buildings do require planning permission. also if this dwelling is intended for campers, then it would need planning consent. It could be allowed as a temp shelter for the purpose of habitation under the 28 day rule. Following this time the structure would need to be removed. If he has declared it as a forest workers building and can prove a need for such, then the planners would be favorable. However it would need a license if its primary use was for campers. My two pence worth.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
With the benches that roundhouse looks like a shelter to me. And of course camping for more than 28 days does require some permissions.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got some mates with a bit of woodland up there, doesn't look like their woodlands cos theirs is all conifers but they sometimes have parties up in their woods.
I really like the area and every time I come away from one of their parties I have this vague feeling of envy about their woodlands.

Really lovely people though so its easy to just wish them luck with it.

If I remeber right there's some thing about the Duke of (something or other that I can't remember) giving people a small area of land to keep as a smallholding. Seems that the planning restrictions are slightly more relaxed in that area because of it and there's a lot of smallholdings with caravans and buildings in those woods.

Last edited:

hotchy

Jul 26, 2012
Aldeston in Mora
I like this little dwelling, and would like to make one too.:) I have a small woodland area.

Down side is living in an ANOB, requires planning for any building over a certain square footage. Tempary or not ( any thing over the size of an average shed I think).

But I always say, Dont ask for permission- ask for forgivness:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE