The ultimate wilderness adventure???

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
http://www.mars-one.com

I've got my name down for the second round of applications as i missed the first..... Anyone else got the minerals to apply? :pirate:

What do you all think of the concept of such a venture?

For me, i would say this is what we are supposed to do, Take life and extend it beyond the confines of the world that brought us into being....

Discuss. :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Im all for boldly going....and all that, so support the concept of what they are trying to achieve. Finding the $6 Billion for the first mission might be an issue though.

Id have thought the manned NASA mission will be the only real game in town for some while yet.

Good luck though Mark. Wonder what knife you will need to take :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good luck Bill

I guess you have watched

[video=youtube;uDWvsdEYSqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWvsdEYSqg[/video]

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Helluva place for a bushcrafter...not a tree, nor a blade of grass nor a wildflower nor a drop of water anywhere.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we need new frontiers Mark - mankind is not intended to live in some sanitised, regulated, fair shares politically correct utopia - we are supposed to strive and improve our lot. Good luck to you buddy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
With no atmosphere which can sustain humankind you would be living in some air-conditioned bubble. I can't think of an existence more sanitised and tightly regulated than that.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
With no atmosphere which can sustain humankind you would be living in some air-conditioned bubble. I can't think of an existence more sanitised and tightly regulated than that.

I'm with you mate! I'm an earth dweller to the end :).

Good luck Mark, if you ever get up there enjoy it! :)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Human beings will be happier - not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That's my utopia.
Kurt Vonnegut

Sorry to use a quote again, but it is so succinct.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think we need new frontiers Mark - mankind is not intended to live in some sanitised, regulated, fair shares politically correct utopia - we are supposed to strive and improve our lot. Good luck to you buddy

"Space is huge enough, so that somewhere in its vastness there will always be a place for rebels and outlaws.... The open frontier will beckon as it beckoned before, to persecuted minorities escaping from oppression, to religious fanatics escaping from their neighbours, to recalcitrant teenagers escaping from their parents, to lovers of solitude escaping from crowds."

Freeman Dyson

We should think about getting a sustainable society off world as soon as possible, we may already have missed our chance. Sooner or later something will kill most of the life on earth, maybe next week maybe thirty thousand years hence, but it'll happen. Never keep all your eggs in one basket. :)

I'd add, it seems odd to get away from one planet only to settle on another, the smarter move would be to attempt to live in space, you can find stuff and move it around without having to get it out of a gravity well (not as big a one anyway) of course I'm thinking of something a little larger than the ISS. :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Helluva place for a bushcrafter...not a tree, nor a blade of grass nor a wildflower nor a drop of water anywhere.

It looks like my idea of a militarised hell :sigh:

I can applaud the explorers though, and the colonisers, but I suspect that with all the costs, etc., there will be very little room for those who don't fit a mould and specific mindset. Otherwise it'd be like having a maverick on board a nuclear sub.

Still lots of places well off the beaten track on Earth yet :)

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
"Space is huge enough, so that somewhere in its vastness there will always be a place for rebels and outlaws.... The open frontier will beckon as it beckoned before, to persecuted minorities escaping from oppression, to religious fanatics escaping from their neighbours, to recalcitrant teenagers escaping from their parents, to lovers of solitude escaping from crowds."

Freeman Dyson

We should think about getting a sustainable society off world as soon as possible, we may already have missed our chance. Sooner or later something will kill most of the life on earth, maybe next week maybe thirty thousand years hence, but it'll happen. Never keep all your eggs in one basket. :)

I'd add, it seems odd to get away from one planet only to settle on another, the smarter move would be to attempt to live in space, you can find stuff and move it around without having to get it out of a gravity well (not as big a one anyway) of course I'm thinking of something a little larger than the ISS. :)

Yep all of that. Of course the first explorations will be regimented, as were many of the first explorations of the "New Worlds" on Earth, but after discovery come the explorers, the colonisers, the guys with axes and ploughs. We need that - or, as you say, we sit on one rock amongst billions and wait to die out.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm afraid that I tend to the opinion that human nature will out, and I'm very much afraid we'll do the same things, good and bad, wherever we go; it's just the nature of the beast and just a matter of time until we become complacent enough (again) to mess it all up through taking our eyes off the ball. It's just the way we are built on the evidence so far.

Human beings are wonderful things individually and in groups formed by or for a common purpose; as a complete species we are little different to a cancer, at least in terms of what we've done on this rock..............

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Mass and energy all that is needed to live in space-Heinlein. I used to like SF novels set in space, those asteroid miners were a tough bunch, see Seetee Shock by Jack Williamson.

Haven't done badly living on this rock, expanded to live in all environments for a start.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good luck though Mark. Wonder what knife you will need to take :)

Cheers :) What knife? Hmmm.... Atm, with the knowledge i have, it'd have to elmax steel, G10 handles, kydex sheath. But i reckon a hammer and chisel would be of more use, along with some masonry skills. :D

Good luck Bill

I guess you have watched

I've not seen that Rik, will have a watch later though, cheers :)

Cheers Hugh. The chances of me getting chosen are negligible, but if i don't apply, the chances are zero. I think i bring a good selection of skills to the table.. military, engineering, craftsman, grower of food and raiser of livestock, hardy, adaptable, disciplined.... I reckon i could be of some use. :) It would be a very demanding and i expect, highly dangerous life. Once you get in the rocket, and blast off, thats it... you will never again have a life on earth, you will die elsewhere. It's a risk, a big one.... but that makes life all the more interesting imo. :)

I'm with you mate! I'm an earth dweller to the end :).

Good luck Mark, if you ever get up there enjoy it! :)

Cheers mate :)

Not enough trees for my hammock I'm afraid

Good luck with the application though Mark

Cheers Rich. :)

Freeman Dyson

Don't think we have the technology to live in space yet, we would struggle to build a craft big enough. Couldn't really do it on world as we would never get it off, and we don't have the technology to build it in space. Be a while for that yet i reckon. They can't even get any one off a planet like mars, they can put them there, but no way to get off once you are there. No launch platforms for the rockets.

It looks like my idea of a militarised hell :sigh:

I can applaud the explorers though, and the colonisers, but I suspect that with all the costs, etc., there will be very little room for those who don't fit a mould and specific mindset. Otherwise it'd be like having a maverick on board a nuclear sub.

Still lots of places well off the beaten track on Earth yet :)

atb,
M

Militarised hell? Nah, A group of people living a disciplined and organised life all working for the same purpose.. thats a good thing :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE