The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hey,

how about this one... I see these every year and am wondering if they are edible... I thought they were 'Penny Buns' (Boletus Edulis), but having checked my ID books i'm now not sure...

Perhaps it's Boletus Reticulatus?

I found them growing under Oak and Beech

I would really appreciate any help identifying this one! Cheers!

mushroom.jpg

mushroom2.jpg

Last edited:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Can anyone help me choose which mushrooms would be best suited to growing from dowls. In silver birch stump & logs

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hey,

how about this one... I see these every year and am wondering if they are edible... I thought they were 'Penny Buns' (Boletus Edulis), but having checked my ID books i'm now not sure...

mushroom.jpg

mushroom2.jpg

Bitter Bolete (Tylopilus felleus). NOT edible (far too bitter), and not that common either. Please do not "pick and hope" (pick for the pot without knowing what you're picking, in the hope of getting a positive ID of something edible by posting it online). It gives foragers a bad name as environmental vandals. ETA: although I see from re-reading your post that you believed these to be penny buns.)

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Some early season sightings on my camping trip to the New Forest last week :)

Oyster mushrooms ? Growing on a fallen beech tree, lots along the trunk but most had dried out, these were about the only fresh ones.

Chicken of the Woods ? I've never seen so much of this around, without really looking I noticed four or more separate clusters in different areas, although I suppose I was cycling around a lot and covering a fair area ! Growing on oak in each case.

A bracket fungus of some sort, really majestic looking at the bottom of a large standing oak tree, really impressive to look at !

Hoping to fit another week's camping in down there some time next month, weather and other things permitting, and hope to see a few more varieties around then :)

Cheers, Paul

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
What the fungi!
Found this one last year in the Culbin Forest " Hydnellum peckii " Bleeding tooth fungus, while walking the Moray Coastal Trail, easly the 2nd weirdest mushroom we have found so far.

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
Hey,

mushroom.jpg

mushroom2.jpg

They look similar to bitter boletes but I would expect to see pink tubes in the older specimens. To check, you can taste a small amount, chew and spit out. If very bitter then it will be the bitter bolete. If not then it could be a Summer Cep.

Garry

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
They look similar to bitter boletes but I would expect to see pink tubes in the older specimens. To check, you can taste a small amount, chew and spit out. If very bitter then it will be the bitter bolete. If not then it could be a Summer Cep.

Garry

Agreed. This occurred to me last night after I'd made that post. I've never found Boletus reticulatus. Or at least I've never successfully identified it if I have found it. If you mistake a bitter bolete for a penny bun then you'll know about it pretty quickly when you try to eat it, but if you mistake B. reticulatus for a penny bun then you will not realise you've made a mistake.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The same but with a thinner stem ?
6e4udaju.jpg

ujuhaqeh.jpg

Snapped when I tried to tilt it back a bit to look.....
rurabe2y.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Same woods ......different ones ...
yjujenyb.jpg

ateme4a8.jpg

se6u7yby.jpg

7utu9eme.jpg

nyhunu6y.jpg

2ajequta.jpg

a5evarep.jpg

ejegaqyv.jpg

3uza6eva.jpg

I couldn't get a gill shot as I didn't want to disturb it after the last accident.
4/5 both growing either side of the log in the beck .
dymu9ebe.jpg

umanedy7.jpg

aje7yqe4.jpg

Cheers gents

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
The gilled ones at the top look like Panther (Amanita Pantherina) or possibly Blusher (Amanita Rubescens) poisonous and tasteless respectively

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It is certainly a blusher, and not a panther cap, and I agree with fg2bw: blushers are a good edible species provided you can safely identify them and cook them properly.

The mushroom below the blusher looks like a charcoal burner to me.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry Geoff, I meant Meadow waxcap Hygrocybe pratensis, but it isn't that (finally got around to consulting my book).

Pretty things, but hard to identify. Thanks for having a go. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE