The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Looks like it to me too. Don't know of anything which looks just like it. We once found a humongous amount at a gathering I was on. Even being moderate in gathering gave all thirty of us a couple of slices at dinner. Don't cook for too long or it's like chewing rubber.

Cheers,
Leif

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
That made a really interesting read Geoff, however are you not concerned that the toxins may have a cumulative effect such as those of the Paxillus involutus?

Not concerned about that, no. We know what the toxins in yew do, and they are not cumulative. They either kill you when you eat them, or they don't.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Care to share the recipe, I have 2 Chinese take-a-way tubs full in the freezer of what was left from the last one I harvested.

They have been lightly cooked in butter before being frozen

Fry in butter for about 2 minutes on each side, with seasoning. Then turn down the heat and add a generous helping of chopped, fresh chives. Then about 30 seconds later cover in double cream. Serve with brown toast as soon as the cream is heated. Can also add a splash of sherry at the end.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots of these growing on wood chippings (rhododendron) today. Help?

9108705794_3dae881600_b.jpg

9106480409_df960dc1b7_b.jpg

9106475329_03e58b3a93_b.jpg

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Not enough information. Where was it growing? (A. bitorquis grows between paving stones or through asphalt) How big is it? What does it smell like? Agaricus is hard.

Good afternoon Geoff. It was growing in a horse paddock on grass near the woods. Quite firm , mealy nose (not as strong as St. George's ) about 3" cap and 3" stem. Smaller tighter cupped ones nearby.
Tasted gorgeous .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Good afternoon Geoff. It was growing in a horse paddock on grass near the woods.

Unlikely to be A. bitorquis then! Probably A. campestris, but there are so many species in this genus, and they are so hard to tell apart, that it's hard to be 100% certain from a photo. If it tasted OK and didn't smell of phenol then that's fine as far as eating is concerned...

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Unlikely to be A. bitorquis then! Probably A. campestris, but there are so many species in this genus, and they are so hard to tell apart, that it's hard to be 100% certain from a photo. If it tasted OK and didn't smell of phenol then that's fine as far as eating is concerned...
I was led. Believe A.bitrquis could be found in parks and gardens aswell as under cobbles etc. And the guide description nails it . it was my books that threw campestris up as the alternative. cheers

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I was led. Believe A.bitrquis could be found in parks and gardens aswell as under cobbles etc. And the guide description nails it . it was my books that threw campestris up as the alternative. cheers

You are right - bitorquis does sometimes turn up in parks/gardens, and it may be what you've found. I still think it is probably campestris from that photo though. Or it might be another agaricus altogether.

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
You are right - bitorquis does sometimes turn up in parks/gardens, and it may be what you've found. I still think it is probably campestris from that photo though. Or it might be another agaricus altogether.

Most of the A.Bitorquis I have found have been in and around woods, not from pavements. However, I agree with Geoff that this is more likely to be A.Campestris or something else from that genus. A.Bitorquis has a has a double ring on the stem which is not evident in the pictures.
Garry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE