The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Any reason why the wood is likely to be sycamore? I've often found CotW growing on beech trees, more so than sycamore. (I'm also trying to grow it via dowels on some beech logs so interested in your reasoning).

You might be right, but my books do not list beech among the trees it grows on, and I've personally never seen it on beech. Usually oak, chestnut, yew, cherry or sycamore.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You might be right, but my books do not list beech among the trees it grows on, and I've personally never seen it on beech. Usually oak, chestnut, yew, cherry or sycamore.

Interesting, a bit of digging and some seem to say rare on beech and others common. I've found quite a few specimens on beech trees occurring year after year along with cherry, yew and willow but rarely on sycamore and oak. Sadly this was when I was in the South East, I've yet to find any in Devon.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Interesting, a bit of digging and some seem to say rare on beech and others common. I've found quite a few specimens on beech trees occurring year after year along with cherry, yew and willow but rarely on sycamore and oak. Sadly this was when I was in the South East, I've yet to find any in Devon.

I just found some this morning, on the Downs between Brighton and Lewes. Hard to tell for sure what sort of wood it was, but I think it was sycamore.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Found these this morn normal question please can I ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 14

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Hah! That's a kind offer, but what I wanted was a really good photo (that I might use one day in a book) rather than the mushrooms themselves. :)

I do have some photos of oyster mushrooms, but that lot would have made a better one.

I'm off to pick my dinner shortly so I will take lots of pics and hopefully one will do

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
Collected this today, I believe it to be Chicken of the Woods. Can someone positively ID this and are there any other species it could be? It smells like normal mushrooms that you buy from the shops if that means anything.

5ha9.jpg

6plq.jpg

zec.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE