The TiPi's nearly finished! It's up! (PICS)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
If it is for short term stays, you could try to sleep radially between the poles, or use a bivi bag. The rain normally only drips down the poles, what comes through the vent is generally drizzle and should fall in a puddle between the door and fire. A tall enough liner can be snuggled under in wet weather and that will keep you pretty dry. The only other important bit is making sure the fire draws through the vent A tipi is a chiminy and it will wreck a good pair lungs very quickly if not set up right.

Your tipi is beautiful. They are the most amazing spaces.

Xylaria's advice on lining height, rain-catcher, Ozan, fires etc. Is probably some of the most informed you're likely to get.

Xylaria, what height would you go for on the lining of a 5m tipi? What do you think of ozans?

Cheers!

Huon

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Both the tipi and the house are beautiful! Looks wonderfully constructed, the colours work great!

Is that a yurt on the left?

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Is that a yurt on the left?

Yes, that is our yurt. It works great as extra space from the house.
We now have a 7meter yurt, a 5meter tipi, a 6meter geodesic dome, a 3meter bell tent, a four man modern tent and one man trekking tent. We're ready to set up a refugee camp! HaHa. I don't know how it's happend but over the years this is what we've accumulated/ made. I must have been a nomad in a previous life I think!?!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The boss says:
The liner should be at least shoulder hieght 4'6" or more. the liner touches the ground, the outer should be a few inchs above the ground. This set up causes the fire to draw. Ozans can obstruct the flow of smoke and push it into the sleeping area, but are still a very good idea. Anything that keeps you bed dry is the right way to go, a liner that is high enough to be uncliped a bit and bent over when it rains is simple. or and extenstion to the liner.

Lying in a teepee in the poring rain, you will find the right solution, then with a bit more rain an even more right solution shall come upon you.

Last edited:

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I seen several layouts for fires in a tipi during the time I lived in one, mine was 19ft with 22ft poles so getting the fire and smoke flaps right was a must, first off the fire layout large flat stones not from a river bed for the base and leave all sides open this allows a all round heat within the tipi we found this to be the most practical, if you want directional heat towards yourself then place a large keeper log at the back of the fire this acts as a reflector pushing the heat forward it also makes lighting the morning fire easier, second if you sleep between poles feet towards the fire you usually remain dry but not always at one point it rained for 4 days solid we had no fire and everything we had was soaked just noticed the pegs they need to be very strong as they will be under a great amount of strain in high winds you may also want to cross peg your tripod as this is what keeps your lodge stable.

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
can i ask where you sourced the flecktarn canvas? my google-fu isn't strong enough i'm afraid

cheers
matt

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
can i ask where you sourced the flecktarn canvas? my google-fu isn't strong enough i'm afraid

cheers
matt

My friend Markus who stitched the canvas cover lives in Germany. He sources it from their military supplier. It's rip-stop nylon. It's super light weight. The white areas are heavy cotton canvas, everything else nylon (poly.) The bottom of Tipi's are the dampest bits so this was it's rot proof and quick drying.
Good luck with further searching.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Hi, I have since made a liner, an ozan and a rain catcher. The Tipi is very cosy now. We had a great evening lighting the fire for the first time. It went very well and was lots of fun! Here's some pictures of the new cosy inside.

The liner:

P3150005.jpg

The ozan rain cover for extreme weather protection:
421686_10151394051910007_556560006_22908292_2067177189_n.jpg

This shows how the liner is attached, clear of the poles so that any water dripping down the poles will not soak into the liner:

P3150002.jpg

The ozan distracts from the beauty of being in the Tipi and will be used only as an emergency extreme weather solution. The liner however is a vital component. I've stitched 20cm of green nylon material to the bottom of the cotton liner that will peg to the ground, this means that the cotton won't suck up water and I'll get a good seal to stop any drafts.
Any advice welcome.
All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE