The Skookum Bush Tool (mini review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I have one and love it ( cmp3v ), so far it's only done Camp chores and minor carving. However , It did a great job on the 4x3 White tail deer I shot last week. ( yyyyuuuuummmmm Deer Sausage and Pepperoni and Steaks! )
:) :AR15firin

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Was seriously thinking of purchasing one of these after I checked the exchange rate. Unfortunately there seems to be a six month waiting list, as of Sept 07, so could be longer now.

Stuart was the knife delivered sharpened?

I may contact them to check on the current waiting list and also to see if theres any chance of them making it with wooden scales for me.

BTW nice review!

I waited 14 months for mine, Rod has gotten so busy, I don't think he is taking any more orders till he catches up a bit! :dunno: but the wait is sooooo worth it.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
And me! However, I contacted Rod and he says he's still working hard and expects my order to be ready in Jan/Feb 09 - I ordered about last November too.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Thank you to Stuart for the review and to the other members whom have posted their comments on this knife.

Since the loss by theft of my original fixed blade camp knife, I've been after a good quality knife and this model simply seems so naturally 'right'.

So, thank you, BCUK members for helping me to make a far more informed decision on the most important tool I'll pack!

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
It is indeed, it doesn't so much cut things as they part of their own accord in respect of it.:)

I get the feeling he would be happier to know that it's being used and not locked up as a drawer queen. The same with the Norlund axe.:)

Come on, spill the beans! :confused: :)

leon-1

Come on, spill the beans! :confused: :)

Mine was a gift from a friend, it is one of the original prototypes. The same guy gave me an axe head a few years ago, and now it has to be one of my favourite axes (I have a few). The axe is a little Norlund axe, I have made a new handle for it and fitted a new mask. Think of a small Hudson Bay Axe like the Snow & Nealley.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As he didn't have one that afternoon, he borrowed Stuarts, there were some nails needed knocking in, and I swear Stuart was the model for this :rolleyes: at that point.

Mors was amused, even if Stuart wasn't.:)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Can't remember if I ever mentioned that mine eventually arrived (last August!). Well-worth the wait though, and Dougster did make me that awesome double-dangler sheath I wanted.

I'm a happy customer. This knife was made to be used and abused and it is as robust as they come.

I'd rate it, in terms of performance and build quality, up there with Fjallraven, Kifaru and Gransfors. Well-chuffed.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Now you're asking! I think it was O1. I wanted something that would be relatively easy to sharpen using my limited skills and that would cast masses of sparks from a firesteel. I've heard that the A2 - although not as good as O1 with firesteels - is still able to generate reasonable sparks. S30V does not really give you a good spark at all, from what I've been told.

I actually wrote to Rod recently to say 'thanks' - I think good workmanship deserves credit and feedback.

I have to say, I don't like the sheath you get with knife as it's a bit too 'native', if that makes sense? I got Dougster to make me a really nice 'double dangler' and separate firesteel/stone holder and those have been excellent in use. I'll find the post that I did - I remember now that I did post something!

Here it is: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43287&highlight=

Ahjno, they are definite 'users' - they get very upset if they live in a drawer all year and I've really enjoyed using mine - though not as much as I'd like to.

Great practical tools. I don't think you'll regret ordering and waiting.

Last edited:

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Now you're asking! I think it was O1. I wanted something that would be relatively easy to sharpen using my limited skills and that would cast masses of sparks from a firesteel. I've heard that the A2 - although not as good as O1 with firesteels - is still able to generate reasonable sparks. S30V does not really give you a good spark at all, from what I've been told.

All of the steels will generate sparks off a firesteel (or ferrocerium rod).

Of the three only O1 will generate good sparks when struck against flint.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Mikey

Ive a Skookum on order which I guess I might get next March? Can I ask if you had any postage problems and how much postage was etc. Ive read about a few nightmares on here when getting kit from the States and wondered if you had any problems? Ta Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE