The Skookum Bush Tool (mini review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Ruud-
Please don't take me the wrong way, I appreciate your review that you wrote of the SBT.
I have a few moral problems though.

I have a lot of appreciation to Rod Garcia and I think the SBT when it comes to shape and design has no other. There is no doubt that it is a superior designed knife, though I have handled one made by Rod and another clone made by a member here- the clone's grind and heat treat seemed far more superior to the original.

To start things off a knife not mass made and that has such an immense waiting list not to mention the price, and the tip broke off? ( I don't care that its a small piece). As a maker I would be embarrassed, wouldn't you ? And then that sheath ? Show me another maker who gives you such a useless sheath, anyone here carry a 3mm thick knife around their neck ? Not to mention the bulky handle.

Im sorry if I've offended anyone but doesn't this review turn on red lights for anyone else ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Just to state one more point, I don't have many knives a few Mora's and a few knives from Dorset woodland blades, and never did I receive a knife and broke a piece of metal off when testing my new blade.

A breakage to me means questioning the heat treat and other things of that sort, I would probably lose my faith and trust in that knife and send it back to its creator.

If this problems seems to be common with other then maybe some one should contact the maker and discuss some ideas, is the edge too thin ? Is the grind too high ? I'm no maker but I know how to make a knife fairly well, and that should not be a knife one pays 200 euro for. My Mora 510 was 8 pounds and never did the tip break.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Please don't take me the wrong way, I appreciate your review that you wrote of the SBT.
I have a few moral problems though.

No problem, a discussion with someone who has clear thoughts about a subject is always welcome

There is no doubt that it is a superior designed knife, though I have handled one made by Rod and another clone made by a member here- the clone's grind and heat treat seemed far more superior to the original.
Having used quite a few knives too as seen in the review, I really have no remarks about the heat treat and grind of 'my' SBT. To me it is nearly perfect in comparison with other blades I've used.

To start things off a knife not mass made and that has such an immense waiting list not to mention the price, and the tip broke off? ( I don't care that its a small piece). As a maker I would be embarrassed, wouldn't you ? And then that sheath ? Show me another maker who gives you such a useless sheath, anyone here carry a 3mm thick knife around their neck ? Not to mention the bulky handle.
The tip breaking off really was a big dissappointment for me indeed. Seeing a tip break just by prying out some wood of a nettingneedle made me sit there with my mouth wide open :eek: However, I did have a F1 in the past that also chipped by the very first use (I know, a factoryblade) and I've seen some other customknives with remarkable flaws (scales coming off, chips, ...). Making knives ain't an exact science, so a few mishaps here and there are just is a part of the deal for me. I've heard others sent their SBT's back and got a new one. I fixed the problem myself without a problem.

The sheath is awkard in use indeed, I made me one for belt-carry as can be seen on my blog at the DIY-section. However, the bulky-ness makes it quite comfortable to sheath the knife in wintertime (grabbing it with gloves, feeling the knife against your body to reassure you of were it is at all times.)

The bulky handle fits my hands perfectly. I've had an Enzo Trapper which was just way too small for me, while others like it a lot. It's a personal preference. Some like wood, some like micarta etcetera.

It's not that I'm trying to sell the SBT here, I have no stocks! :D But it just seems to tick a lot of boxes to my preference.

If this problems seems to be common with other then maybe some one should contact the maker and discuss some ideas, is the edge too thin ? Is the grind too high ? I'm no maker but I know how to make a knife fairly well, and that should not be a knife one pays 200 euro for. My Mora 510 was 8 pounds and never did the tip break.
Rod suggest giving the knife a good strop before the very first use. I don't know if this would've changed the strength of the tip, but you're right, I didn't expect the tip of a knife of this price to break that easily.

The grind is indeed rather high, making it very good for sharpening, but probably making it a bit too thin. Giving it a slight convex strop might resolve this, I'm not sure. Also note that this is one of the many SBT's Rod makes a year.

I just "caught and released" a Skookum Bush Tool to another new member here, Knife Craft, a fellow American. It really is a beautifully made knife in that it is pure form following function. The micarta handles on general are impervious to anything penetrating them and they are much more stable than wood so no warpage over time. The pommel plate is welded on and, while I wouldn't want to habitually drive nails with it, it seems like it worked well in this case.

I was very impressed with the depth of what the OP called a "mini review"

There seems to be a trend, among US knife makers anyway, toward going to slightly thinner blade stock as well and the SBT is usually 1/8" as opposed to the standard 5/32 or 4mm that has become so common for these sorts of knives. The only reason I parted with mine was that this other member really wanted one and was willing to trade one of his Turley Gasconade Rivers for the Skookum plus another knife.

The SBT can be a little hard to find in the US and an A2 model just went for about $700 USD at an online auction if memory serves. I am wondering how hard they are to come by in the UK.

Thanks again for a very thorough review along with great photos.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Well I finally got mine about two weeks ago. A2 Tan micarta.
The handle was just too big and give me the worst blisters, I've ever had from testing a blade. The two lanyards were also causing blisters on my fingers.
I was impressed enough by its cutting abilities, to deciding it's a keeper. To be used, ofcourse. A little sand and emery paper, a good deal of sanding later. I've now got a fantastic, bushcraft/woodcraft tool.
I always carry two knives. To avoid cross contamination, one for food prep, fishing, hunting, and one for anything else.
I've got woodlore clones, some good, some great, and I think if you only carry one knife. The woodie, is a better designed blade, more universal in its uses, certainly better at game or food prep.
The Skookum was designed as a survival tool, for the bush/woods, has a better handle, and is a beast that does what ever is asked of it. It's made as a working tool and it excels. Is it better than an Enzo or Helle with the same grind angle. No not at all, but a woodie is no better than a clone, just more desirable.
I love mine, it's getting an antler handle me thinks.
Don't knock them, until you have used one.
Great review.

Knife Craft

Mar 20, 2014
United States
I just "caught and released" a Skookum Bush Tool to another new member here, Knife Craft, a fellow American. It really is a beautifully made knife in that it is pure form following function. The micarta handles on general are impervious to anything penetrating them and they are much more stable than wood so no warpage over time. The pommel plate is welded on and, while I wouldn't want to habitually drive nails with it, it seems like it worked well in this case.

I was very impressed with the depth of what the OP called a "mini review"

There seems to be a trend, among US knife makers anyway, toward going to slightly thinner blade stock as well and the SBT is usually 1/8" as opposed to the standard 5/32 or 4mm that has become so common for these sorts of knives. The only reason I parted with mine was that this other member really wanted one and was willing to trade one of his Turley Gasconade Rivers for the Skookum plus another knife.

The SBT can be a little hard to find in the US and an A2 model just went for about $700 USD at an online auction if memory serves. I am wondering how hard they are to come by in the UK.

Thanks again for a very thorough review along with great photos.

Hi Chris! Thanks again for letting the SBT go, I love it... It was hard letting go of that Turley but I have wanted a Skookum for a long time.

To the OP, great review! You really do not find much info on the SBT, and never such an in-depth review such as yours. The SBT sell for a premium in the U.S. and very fast as Rod's waiting list is around 4 years right now.

I know this thread is several years old but thought I'd post a comment anyways... Great review and photos on the Skookum Bush Tool, looks like an excellent bushcraft and survival knife. Skookum is a Native word from the Pacific Northwest Coast meaning strong or tough. It's used in the Chinook trade language, a common language used by tribal nations along the coast for trade purposes (as there were/are a number of different languages spoken).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE