The Skookum Bush Tool (mini review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
No problems at all. Just got a bill from Parcel Force for the import tax, Parcel Force Handling Fee, etc. Went down the depot, paid, picked it up. No worries.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I really love the blade shape and pommel of the SBT very much, it looks like it would be an awesome tool to have in the bush...but the absence of a swell or slight guard where the blade meets the handle just bothers me.

That's because at the back of your mind Brian there is the feeling that one day you may have to stab someone or something with it. :-o

That's because at the back of your mind Brian there is the feeling that one day you may have to stab someone or something with it. :-o

Ya know Ash, at one time I would have to wholeheartedly agree with that statement...I did have a rough young life. But now it's more a concern of doing boring or gouging with cold hands or while fatigued... I think. Could possibly be a hold-over though I suppose. I am getting away from full guards lately but I still like swells and first-finger grooves.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I did a review on the Rob Evans version of the sbt, but i'm struggling to find it, i think it maybe over on BB. But for those who want a bush tool should give serious consideration to Robs version.

Rob

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
what a great review, thanks!!

For the people who want an SBT:

I ordered one in August 2013, O1 steel, red scales

Now, once you are on the waitinglist, Rod suggests that you send him an e-mail every few weeks. When he has made knives for people, who then cancel their purchase, you get the chance to get one of them. Beware, you only get this opportunity when you are on the waiting list! So, I emailed the first of december (it was only the second time I e-mailed him with the question if there where any cancellations) and he e-mailed me back the next day. I could choose between two O1's with red scales or an A2 with tan scales.

I chose the A2 with tan scales. So instead of waiting 44 months for my SBT to arrive, it now only took 4 months.

It is worth the effort of getting on the waitinglist!

Thanks again for this review, seems I made a good choice choosing the A2-steel

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
what a great review, thanks!!

For the people who want an SBT:

I ordered one in August 2013, O1 steel, red scales

Now, once you are on the waitinglist, Rod suggests that you send him an e-mail every few weeks. When he has made knives for people, who then cancel their purchase, you get the chance to get one of them. Beware, you only get this opportunity when you are on the waiting list! So, I emailed the first of december (it was only the second time I e-mailed him with the question if there where any cancellations) and he e-mailed me back the next day. I could choose between two O1's with red scales or an A2 with tan scales.

I chose the A2 with tan scales. So instead of waiting 44 months for my SBT to arrive, it now only took 4 months.

It is worth the effort of getting on the waitinglist!

Thanks again for this review, seems I made a good choice choosing the A2-steel

Eehhh??

You order an O1 + red scales.

You got to choose from an O1 + red scales, or A2 + tan scales ... And you choose the latter?

:lmao:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I actually prefer A2 over 01. Prefer tan, as opposed too red. 4 months against 44 every time. Different strokes for different folks.
Eehhh??

You got to choose from an O1 + red scales, or A2 + tan scales ... And you choose the latter?

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
Eehhh??

Well yes indeed, since I already know that I'll have an O1, red scales coming my way (I didn't cancel my order), it would've been a bad idea to order just the same thing. Now I'll be having two different Skookums, steel and scales.

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
That was a great opportunity Ruud!
I'm having the O1 and A2 myself.
If he ever has a CPM 3V for sale (canvas Micarta in tan) when you contact him the next time, and you're not interested, please contact me.

Groeten,
Erwin

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
You'll always find work for both your Skookums! I think I must have caught Rod on the rise because I think I waited 4 weeks for my first (in 01) and about three months for my second (a special in S30V). I hope he doesn't suffer from SBT fatigue as they are superb knives and beautifully made.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
That was a great opportunity Ruud!
I'm having the O1 and A2 myself.
If he ever has a CPM 3V for sale (canvas Micarta in tan) when you contact him the next time, and you're not interested, please contact me.

Groeten,
Erwin

Since I got two knives on the way, I'll probably won't be contacting him again soon :) But I'll keep it in my mind!

I've got a Toby Platts Trappeur Bushcraft on the way too, so its a kind of expensive period for me :) (I sold almost all my knives to size down and use only these two knives in the future, so I look at it as that I got the Skookum and TP for free :D )

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just reread this entire thread :)
Mors's knife description in the book is a little more than quoted and only a double guard is totally trashed - as long as the guard does not interfere with a choked grip, and it is stressed that the handle material should be of a kind that can be reshaped for a personal fit...
If your personal fit needs a swell for a guard - reshape the handle to your needs :)
I have yet to try a SBT but the design looks pretty good to me :) though I do prefer some sort of swell between my fingers and the edge, or, as with my "Finnish Special Forces Survival Knife" that features in my review of sugru I find my fingers gradually walk down the handle and onto the blade.
As to the baseplate for hammering nails ... I prefer to put the flat of the knifeblade/axehead onto the nailhead and hit the tool with a baton: this avoids having the point/edge of the tool travelling back towards the user :)
If you use an axe as a hammer you can always leave the mask on but with most knives you would struggle to hammer anything if you kept the knife in the sheath :)
It is surprising how few quality knives (even Moras) fail the "bang it 4cm into a tree and stand on it" test....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE