The right bushcraft knife!

Jul 20, 2016
ireland
Hey folks So i am planning my first bush craft adventure weekend in Ireland in woodlands. And I have slowly been ticking things off my list to buy for my trip. I have always enjoyed camping so I am sure I will love it. Been wanting to do it for ages. Will start on my home turf first and get the swing of things, learn new techniques and ways of setting up camp so I can in the future do it alone somewhere different to Ireland. As I say I am slowly ticking things off my list and what I want get is a good knife or two.... I am thinking to get more than one for different jobs and depending on how hard the cutting work will be... I know that a fixed blade would be good as they are the sturdiest. Do i go for a full tang? or will that slip too easily? may be for more experienced knife users? I would like to get some tips on types of bevels, handles and sheaths ... any tips, experiences offered to this would be great! thanks!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Buy a mora first. They are cheap and pretty much everyone keeps one as a backup, regardless of how much they spend on another knife. Have a look at the companions and the classic number 2.
If you like it and the scandi grind, the buy a decent sheath for it and your sorted for a while.

If you are starting out I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Where abouts are you in Ireland?

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
An inexpensive Mora is a start point.
Buy a Silky Saw before buying an axe.

If the truth be known "not a lot of knife" is required.

Bushcraft enthusiasts all end up with a variety of cutting tools; some get used more than others.

Several carving blades.
A medium utility knife be it a bushcraft Woodlore style or hunting style. Whatever the style its a medium sized utility sheath knife.
A Folding Saw, I think Silky Saws are by far the best.
A bushwhacker machete, panga, parange, golock or Kukri. A Skrama isn't a bad one to get.
A small axe, either a hand axe or small forest axe.

They all require a good learning curve as all can bite back and give one a serious injury if allowed. Easily done.

Part of the hobby here is discussing "what is best" blade wise. Everyone has their own ideas. As your skill level goes up you will make your own mind up depending on what information you gather and from whom. All I would say is don't over spend until you are ready to make your own mind up, for most of the world was tamed with some pretty basic tools.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Buy a mora first. They are cheap and pretty much everyone keeps one as a backup, regardless of how much they spend on another knife. Have a look at the companions and the classic number 2.
If you like it and the scandi grind, the buy a decent sheath for it and your sorted for a while.

If you are starting out I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Where abouts are you in Ireland?

I agree about the No2 the Mora No1 is nice too but then many of them are.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
whats this full tang 'slipping' thing?

No idea but maybe he is concerned by having no guard.

Any requirement for a guard would be personal or job specific I prefer them for teaching younger kids how to use a knife but other than that they can get in the way.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'm in agreement with what others have said. Get a Mora and one of he basic, cheaper ones at that. Brancho has included the link to clasohlsen - the 511 will do you nicely. At this price you won't be afraid to really use the knife and build up your skill (and it is a great quality blade). If you make mistakes while you're learning and chip or roll the edge, you won't be devastated. It's also a good grind to hone your sharpening skills on (sorry for the pun) and again you aren't going to be afraid that you might ruin an expensive blade if you get it wrong.
When you are proficient with the Mora you'll prabably want to try other knives and at some point may even invest a good chunk of moneyin a handmade knife from one of the excellent makers around. BUT I bet you'll still buy another Mora and use it more than any of the other knives you end up with - I know I do!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Can't go wrong here for a starter knife. bash it, smash it, abuse it, sharpen it and start all over again. Finger guard too. :)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/hultafor...EgKZhbqqFHTufWfq3UCA99EGThmqYTQZDQaApfR8P8HAQ
Now they've saved you a ton of money on that - spoil yourself an get a half decent waterstone like this one:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/japanese-combination-waterstones-ax22468

Look after that and it will last you many years and do most of your tools.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I agree with the majority regarding the Mora.
It's very hard to know (theoretically) what you want in a knife until
you know the right questions to ask from using some brand.

I see some suggestions regarding sharpening items.
Essential.
If you cannot sustain the edge, the price of the knife is irrelevant, yes?

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I am going to be the devils advocate, don't buy a Mora, they are ugly, cheap, nasty and have a horrible grind.
Instead spen a little and get a nice knife that you actually want and will care for, that way you will have a reliable piece of kit that you can use, will not break and you can pass on to your kids, or if you find bushcraft is not your cup of tea, sell.
Try some of the excellent makers around here, you won't regret it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Buy a Mora - even if it is only to satisfy some weird curiosity.

If you get along to any meet-ups, try other folk knives to see how they feel and talk about the differences in how you both use your knives.

In a year or two, you'll have a bag full of knives, each one you hoped to be an improvement or for a specific task, but you'll keep returning to the Mora for most of your daily tasks.

It can be an expensive game - ask me how I know!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jul 20, 2016
ireland
First off get a nice cheap Mora based on the fact that is all you actually need.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Morakniv-511-Basic-Knife/40-9459

You do not need a fulltang although the usual contradictory advice will say a mora then some ugly heavy fulltang lump.

Many knives will do what you want from it.

ok thanks alot for your suggestion , that helps me narrow my search! i will check out the Mora knives! any brand you can suggest?

Jul 20, 2016
ireland
I am going to be the devils advocate, don't buy a Mora, they are ugly, cheap, nasty and have a horrible grind.
Instead spen a little and get a nice knife that you actually want and will care for, that way you will have a reliable piece of kit that you can use, will not break and you can pass on to your kids, or if you find bushcraft is not your cup of tea, sell.
Try some of the excellent makers around here, you won't regret it.

ok maybe you could narrow it down from a 'nice knife' if you dont suggest a mora?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE