The right bushcraft knife!

Jul 20, 2016
ireland
Just a thought, have you checked out the knife and knife carry laws in Ireland ?

no i havnt actually!! good point indeed! will need to check on that! but if i am going with a trained crew for two days somewhere remote... but yes i will check and maybe that will narrow my search!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A 'full tang' just means a tang that is the full length and width of the handle. The handle then usually has slabs of material on either side of the tang to bulk it out and make the 'handle shape'.
The cheaper plastic handled Moras and Hultafor knives (and many kitchen knives) have a partial tang - the tang goes part way through the handle and isn't the full width of the handle.
Most if not all of the wood handled Moras have a stick tang, where the tang goes the full length of the handle but is thinner than the handle. In very cold countries this is favoured because your hand doesn't come in contact with metal.

Some people say stick tangs are far too weak for bushcrafting. Some people say you should never treat a knife so roughly that you need a full tang. It's a matter of opinion, neither is 'right'.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Well i assumed that a full tang from my research was a knife that is indeed all one material so metal.... no plastic handle.... sweaty hands equals slipping? possibly!

"Full" just refers to the length of the tang (not the width) if it goes the full length of the handle then it is considered a full tang knife
A knife made from one piece of steel is simply known as a "one piece knife"

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Ok so what exactly is your suggestion? maybe narrow it down from a 'nice knife'....

personally I sit firmly in the Mora Camp for wood working and I still use them today over the few other knives I have

but you wouldn't go far wrong if you looked at Enzo, Helle or Karesuando as a starting point

I realy would recommend a Mora or a Hultafors as a first off for under a tenner you realy cant go wrong and it'll help decide what you realy want the knife for when you do venture out

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
ok maybe you could narrow it down from a 'nice knife' if you dont suggest a mora?

Well my favourite knives are my Randalls, but they are pricey, on the other hand I believe they will never break and always bring a smile to my face when I go to use them, but they are at least a dozen custom knife makers here who could either sell you one of their in stock knives or make you something custom.

If you are looking at factory knives then ESEE make good ones with an amazing warranty, Svord knives are good cheap and cheerful, Gary Mills makes very good knives and is a pleasure to deal with, Mark .177 builds nice looking blades and hillbill (I think thats the name) makes nice ones too, Ben Orford, lots of makers, just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Jul 20, 2016
ireland
Hey folks So i am planning my first bush craft adventure weekend in Ireland in woodlands. And I have slowly been ticking things off my list to buy for my trip. I have always enjoyed camping so I am sure I will love it. Been wanting to do it for ages. Will start on my home turf first and get the swing of things, learn new techniques and ways of setting up camp so I can in the future do it alone somewhere different to Ireland. As I say I am slowly ticking things off my list and what I want get is a good knife or two.... I am thinking to get more than one for different jobs and depending on how hard the cutting work will be... I know that a fixed blade would be good as they are the sturdiest. Do i go for a full tang? or will that slip too easily? may be for more experienced knife users? I would like to get some tips on types of bevels, handles and sheaths ... any tips, experiences offered to this would be great! thanks!

Thanks for everyone's responses , they have been very helpful! After researching the types of knives out there , It seems you can have 10 or one that will suffice! I would like to get a Mora , seems after everyone's suggestions bar a couple this will be the best. I have found a bargain Mora knife for sale , which i think for me a beginner is the best bet. Like others suggest If i don't feel i like it , i can always try a different type of knife or buy a more expensive one.... so testing the waters seems sensible and in any case I could check out what other people have when i go on my bush craft adventure!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE