The "Red Hunters Axe" by Cegga - first production run

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
MagiKelly said:
Both of the above solutions still favour those with better PC access.

With a limited supply there is just no way to avoid people being disappointed.

Granted, but at least people would have fore warning to an imminent sale and either get to a computer to show an interest or get a friend with good access to place the order for them.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
MagiKelly said:
Both of the above solutions still favour those with better PC access.

Well, I do not have a PC of my own and neither do I have access at work.
But with a waiting list I would not have the pressure to log in in the shortest possible intervals, but instead put my name on a list and be able to sit back, relax and wait maybe a year to get one.
The former would be impossible, the latter I wouldnt mind.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I completely understand that, but waiting lists do put pressure on the maker. If you really weren't bothered about getting the item then you wouldn't put your name down. That there is a list of people puts a burden on the maker, because they know that they are 'letting down' all the people who are so patiently and nicely waiting. It's a huge compliment to the maker but it carries a price. As I mentioned before it brings to mind a craftsman I know who in the end just cancelled out two years worth of waiting lists because he knew he would never be able to complete it.

Butchd said:
I completely understand that, but waiting lists do put pressure on the maker. If you really weren't bothered about getting the item then you wouldn't put your name down. That there is a list of people puts a burden on the maker, because they know that they are 'letting down' all the people who are so patiently and nicely waiting. It's a huge compliment to the maker but it carries a price. As I mentioned before it brings to mind a craftsman I know who in the end just cancelled out two years worth of waiting lists because he knew he would never be able to complete it.

i think that argument has gone now :D Cegga reads this and im sure is aware of the number of people wanting his services not haveing a list is not reducing that much pressure now :eek: and not haveing a list is causing ( see above :eek: :eek: )

Basically Cegga make what you want sell them how you wish and stay happy in your Hobby :You_Rock_
in a few years if your still about and have satisfied the blood lust for the Red hunter can i havew a double headded Damascus please :D :D

ATB

Duncan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
FGYT,

We are working on a double bit design, but the pressure for the Red Hunter has caused us to put it on the back burner for a bit

Okay all, here is an update

I have exchanged mails with Tony over this to ensure that what we do complies with both the spirit and the letter of the rules on BCUK. Tony has made (as always) some very helpful suggestions as to future ways he may be able to assist in future supply routes for these products (cheers Tony).

I do hear and understand the desire for Ceggas great work. We have spoken about the next batch but as Cegga is working on a day job custom commission, the next batch will probably be a couple of weeks away. Oh by the way - the custom commission is a damascus crowbar :eek: . Go figure!

I wish I could find away around this. I hear the "set up a list" request. However that engenders two problems.

1. The list could get big, fast. Actually that may be worse than several "batch postings". If you happened to be on holiday when the list thread was posted, you could find yourself at number 78 before you returned. I'm not sure thats any fairer than several "small batch" lists. At least that way if you are offline for a few days, you may get lucky next time.

2. A long list would put huge pressure on Cegga to keep churning out the same item time and time again rather than enjoying his sideline and delivering different items.

Now there is simple, logical mechanism when delivering a product for which demand outstrips supply. Put the price up. The only logical alternative would be some form of "lottery draw". However if someone wins...we could be faced with a conundrum of how long to hold the item before offering it to the next person.

I'm not sure thats any more random than chucking up a WIGIG goup buy.

Let me mull on it

H

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Given this interest I may just wrap mine in cling film and swap it for someones house in ten years or so.

Digging it into a piece of wood will seem like a carnall sin. (But you know I'll enjoy it). ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Cegga and British Red are doing the best they can, were they to set up a shop selling axes in say Bristol everyone who didn’t live in Bristol would feel that they were at a disadvantage. Same with a first come fist serve none list listing, apart from the lucky ten everyone else will be disappointed. Life is full of little disappointments
There is no easy solution to this, so I say leave it as it is. Ok I’m saving like made to buy one for myself and as of yet I am no where near what I suspect the next lot will go for. But so long as the pressure is not piled up on Cegga, he will keep making them. So maybe in a year time I stand a chance of getting what from all accounts is an axe of a life time.
Keep up the good work both of you, and if the pressure gets too much, do as Lurch suggests stick them up one at a time on eBay and let the bun fights begin.
I’m sure lots of people would say that is unfair as well as only people with lots of cash will get one, a bit like a Alan made woodlore knife or a RM pencil. :cool:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Tadpole,

Now theres a thought on the EvilBay

It does provide a viable alternative huh?

Red

British Red said:
Thanks Tadpole,

Now theres a thought on the EvilBay

It does provide a viable alternative huh?

Red

do that for a while and any money made over a propper price goto charity ;)

that way the market will sort out what they are worth and Cegga gets a decent price for his sweat and with out being open to acusations of profitering

right need a small red squirrel stamp on the side of each one now ;)

Duncan

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Jon Pickett said:
Sure have, has he done any damascus nails to go with it....??
if he does, will you tell me where you use the nails :rolleyes: , nails make great arrow heads (ask any bushman) :lmao:

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Red,

I think you've spoiled us all by introducing us to the work of Cegga :p

The axes are beautiful and no doubt a dream to use but let's be honest, what's the rush everyone?

If you really need an axe, then there are a number out there to choose from. If you want an axe, a Cegga axe, then they look like they'll be worth waiting for. Waiting lists, people voicing a dislike for the WIGIG method - no method is going to solve the "supply problem" or please everyone. Somebody is going to lose out. That's just life.

For me, if I get one, I think half the pleasure will come from knowing the passion and pleasure that has gone into the making of it.

Red, thank you for managing this and ensuring that Cegga isn't swampped and can continue to enjoy his sideline. I hope one day to be a proud owner of his work and I hope that Cegga can continue to enjoy making them for many, many years to come. :You_Rock_

Andy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
AndyW said:
Red,

I think you've spoiled us all by introducing us to the work of Cegga :p

The axes are beautiful and no doubt a dream to use but let's be honest, what's the rush everyone?

If you really need an axe, then there are a number out there to choose from. If you want an axe, a Cegga axe, then they look like they'll be worth waiting for. Waiting lists, people voicing a dislike for the WIGIG method - no method is going to solve the "supply problem" or please everyone. Somebody is going to lose out. That's just life.

For me, if I get one, I think half the pleasure will come from knowing the passion and pleasure that has gone into the making of it.

Red, thank you for managing this and ensuring that Cegga isn't swampped and can continue to enjoy his sideline. I hope one day to be a proud owner of his work and I hope that Cegga can continue to enjoy making them for many, many years to come. :You_Rock_

Andy

Agree.I have just today received my BFK which I ordered in 2005.

A long wait but worth it for the design and quality of the work.

A waiting list is a good idea IMO,as long as there is zero pressure on the craftsman.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
excellent work!

just as an aside, isn't sweden in the EU? so there shouldn't be any customs duties to worry about. you can also do free money transfers direct from one account to the other. you'll need the swiftbic, and iban numbers off your bank statements.

paypal's great, but why pay them if you don't have to?

cheers, and.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Customs duty mainly will mean VAT, which is chargeable upon entry into the UK at the UK rates. Whether customs will bother to stop and check will depend on the package and a certain luck of the draw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE