The "Red Hunters Axe" by Cegga - first production run

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Thought registering interest when this first came up was gonna be some kind of list but now see I have missed out :rolleyes: . Will stick with my SFA instead can't be doing with the 'if youre online your in time' set up

D

Deleted member 4605

Silverback said:
Thought registering interest when this first came up was gonna be some kind of list but now see I have missed out :rolleyes: .

To be fair to BR, he never said the other thread was a waiting list.

Silverback said:
Will go for an SFA instead can't be doing with the 'if youre online your in time' set up

I can sympathise - I got lucky this time, but I've missed out on quite a few deals by being late. It's the luck of the draw, but it still sucks to miss out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trust me guys, Cegga will make some more.

As I explained on the original thread though, I think its fairer to advertise them for sale when they are ready to ship - no-one ends up pre-paying or waiting for a long time and Cegga isn't working flat out with no life - we all know the great makers that has happened to.

Thanks for the interest all - I hope you enjoy them

Red

Guys, Cegga tells me a couple of pepel didn't include their shipping address with the PayPal payment - if this is you can you please e-mail the same e-mail address giving

Your BCUK "screen name"
Your real name
Your shipping address

Cegga would like to get your axes sent soon as!

Red

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Maybe Cegga should join the makers user group and sell them through the makers market....I'm sure (I know) they will be very popular :D
I've got to admit, I'd love one of these, but I think my chances of me loggin on within an hour of the items being posted are pretty slim.... do you know if he will take orders outside BCUK?

Ed

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ed said:
Maybe Cegga should join the makers user group and sell them through the makers market....I'm sure (I know) they will be very popular :D
I've got to admit, I'd love one of these, but I think my chances of me loggin on within an hour of the items being posted are pretty slim.... do you know if he will take orders outside BCUK?

Ed
It might be an idea. Then he doesn't have to wait for a batch to be done but can sell them as they are finished. But I suppose Red and Cegga went through all the options and this was the most suitable way. Can't argue with that.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ed,

The makers forum is a good idea - is that okay for "multiple" items?

I really don't want to cause anyone any upset but I also don't want to do "waiting lists" because of the pressure that causes on Cegga. His axes are fantastic, but what I really don't want is another smith crushed under demand and giving up making through overcommiting themselves.

The reason I put the group buy together was the fact that Cegga didn't have the ability to deal with PayPal or credit cards etc. - we've sorted that now, but any queries etc. are difficult when English is not your first language and yor skill is in being a smith not a computer operator!

All advice welcome since Cegga plans to make some more and I'd like to help everyone out but if it becomes a chore for Cegga or for you guys, then I need to find a fairer or better way to put it together whilst still oeprating within Tony's rules

Red

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I was going to edit my original tantrum sorry I mean post ;) however then people might have missed it and it seems only right I should make a proper apology in a post for all to see :eek: . I am not going to pretend I am not sorely pi**ed at having missed out on this beautiful piece of work but throwing your toys out of the pram is not the best way to express it. I am camping online when the next batch comes up for grabs :lmao:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I really don't want to cause anyone any upset but I also don't want to do "waiting lists" because of the pressure that causes on Cegga. His axes are fantastic, but what I really don't want is another smith crushed under demand and giving up making through overcommiting themselves.
I know what you mean mate... people have got snowed under with orders...

I was just worried about other makers who have paid (makers subscription) to sell stuff here and seeing Cegga selling through you and not paying the fee...... I was only trying to keep the peace, and realy not trying to cause offense..... I personaly think this is an excellent item for sale on BCUK and a great offer to the members here.

I'm sure if you contact Tony you can work out an arrangment of how much can be sold per month :D

Sorry if you think I came accross too strong.

:)
Ed

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Silverback - No harm, no foul mate. Thats unbelievably handsome of you.

Genuinely I am trying to play fair by everyone here :eek:

I know they are a great price and a great product - Cegga is going to forge a lot more this wekend (more than 10 ;) ). They then need to be heat treated, ground, hung and masked. It takes a short while (weeks not months). Before they are out people should get some feedback from the first run so they will know what they are getting.

I do understand the frustration - my Lee Reeves took 13 months!

I really feel though that its part of my job to ensure Cegga isn't buried by this - he still makes a living by day!

By selling them only when they are available no-one is left hanging or paying in advance.

I'm really happy if we can do the whole thing through the makers forum if that works (although we may need Big Swede to interpret again :D )

Red

Can sympathise with you Silverback, camped on the pc last night just in case Red put it up then and logged on as soon as I came in from work today. Went to take our lass to work and when I came back they had all gone. :(
Oh well hopefully next time.
Red do you have a price yet for the next batch?
Thanks.

Paul.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ed said:
I know what you mean mate... people have got snowed under with orders...

I was just worried about other makers who have paid (makers subscription) to sell stuff here and seeing Cegga selling through you and not paying the fee...... I was only trying to keep the peace, and realy not trying to cause offense..... I personaly think this is an excellent item for sale on BCUK and a great offer to the members here.

I'm sure if you contact Tony you can work out an arrangment of how much can be sold per month :D

Sorry if you think I came accross too strong.

:)
Ed
Ed,

You didn't come over strong mate :eek:

I did check with Tony before this sale - wouldn't have posted it otherwise (he wanted one as well - even Tony lucked out)

Ever wish you hadn't started something?

Red

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ever wish you hadn't started something?
Please don't say that mate..... This is fantastic what you are doing... if the rep scales were about you've have a ton.... please dont get dis-heartened :D

Please :)

Ed

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Full marks Silverback :lmao: I think most of us felt the same frustration when we realised we had missed out on the first batch.
But I do think that British Red has organised it in the best fair way to Cegga and full marks to him for that.
One of my friends is a very talented artist and used to paint in his spare time and enjoy doing it. However he was badgered by several of his friends with orders for his work and decided that he had enough work to give it go fulltime. What happened was that he had to produce work to a timescale, he was no longer proud of the quality of his painting and it became a chore rather than a pleasure.
It is a sad fact of life he rarely touches a paint brush now, because it no longer holds the pleasure it did for him.
I know from Ceggas reputation one of his axes will be worth waiting for, and the wait will make me cherish the craftmanship of it even more.
While I am waiting I am enjoying the arrival of spring, the building dawn chorus, and checking each morning on which flowers buds are bursting.
This ritual first thing in the morning seems to dissolve any frustrations or problems I may have.
Enjoy the SPRING
Chas :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I think there was alot of anticipation for this first batch which caused a bit of a stampede. Maybe for future batches, if they are unannounced elsewhere and just posted in the group buys forum things will settle down and all those who want one will eventually get one. I do hope that Cegga does post some of his other work in the makers forum. I may well be after a custom piece from him at some point in the future and I'd hate for him to become sick of smithing.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ed- I'm not serious mate - just trying to spread a good product and make sure the buyer gets a fair shake and so does the seller.

I've taken your advice though and asked Tony to make a call on the best way to handle this going forward as there seems to be a large demand. I'm really happy to help put it together - but only in a way that suits buyers and seller that leaves everyone betetr off and not pressured or out of pocket.

Trouble is hand forged items are time consuming and there aren't many can do it. When you get a bargain one, everyone wants one. The problem with that is the smith can get killed in the "rush" and I do see it as part of my role to ensure that doesn't happen - everyone loses then.

Worry not - we'll work summat out

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE