The "Red Hunters Axe" by Cegga - first production run

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
chas brookes said:
Full marks Silverback :lmao: I think most of us felt the same frustration when we realised we had missed out on the first batch.
But I do think that British Red has organised it in the best fair way to Cegga and full marks to him for that.
One of my friends is a very talented artist and used to paint in his spare time and enjoy doing it. However he was badgered by several of his friends with orders for his work and decided that he had enough work to give it go fulltime. What happened was that he had to produce work to a timescale, he was no longer proud of the quality of his painting and it became a chore rather than a pleasure.
It is a sad fact of life he rarely touches a paint brush now, because it no longer holds the pleasure it did for him.
I know from Ceggas reputation one of his axes will be worth waiting for, and the wait will make me cherish the craftmanship of it even more.
While I am waiting I am enjoying the arrival of spring, the building dawn chorus, and checking each morning on which flowers buds are bursting.
This ritual first thing in the morning seems to dissolve any frustrations or problems I may have.
Enjoy the SPRING
Chas :)
Aye, some say "The man who makes his hobby his job will never have to work a day in his life." I say "The man who makes his hobby his job will soon need a new hobby" :rolleyes:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Snufkin said:
Aye, some say "The man who makes his hobby his job will never have to work a day in his life." I say "The man who makes his hobby his job will soon need a new hobby" :rolleyes:
Aint that the truth - I am a qualified weight training instructor and teaching others in the gym seemed to be the natural progression given my love for shifting heavy weight - WRONG - I hated it and started dreading spending time in the gym both with clients and when training myself :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So, just to show you how seriously we took it ;)

Heres my evidence they were ready to ship!

400119343_d3ee5f1150.jpg

We got a bigger one mixed in with this batch :eek:

We'll figure something out to do with that one!

Red

D

Deleted member 4605

British Red said:

Don't suppose I could claim it instead of the "normal" size? Does Cegga want more for it?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Dear God.... I am often lucky, but not often on here. I will write a full and frank review. Looking at the pic, I've no doubt where it will go!

Crikey, they are stunning.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Typical that's it I am never taking the kids tot eh pictures again :D

Obviously like all those who have missed out on the first batch I am gutted but Red is 100% right about how to run this. We have seen what has happened to Allan Blade and others who have been pestered into taking on more than they are comfortable with. PLEASE do not all contact Cegga and beg him to add you on a list. Let him do what he wants and enjoys and sell them when they are ready. We may need to wait a little longer for our toys but we will be making sure Cegga keeps the joy in his hobby.

I'd rather have to cut wood with my bare hands that see a craftsman reduced to a production line.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
British Red said:
So, just to show you how seriously we took it ;)

Heres my evidence they were ready to ship!

400119343_d3ee5f1150.jpg

Red

how about a good old competition or auction it off for charity :You_Rock_

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I still can't beleive my luck, but I too know of craftsmen who've been overloaded. Mind you I also know one whose solution was to double all of his prices. Still worth it mind you, and one day when I've got enough money and experience to justify it, I'll get him to make me something.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so everyone knows, the big one is a private sale item. One observant person also noted 11 small ones - also true - one belongs to Big Swede who got in early on the whole thing when we needed an interpreter to explain how to do PayPal as mine and Ceggas language skills gave up (thanks Big Swede)

Red

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hope I'm not too late to go for one of Cegga's masterpieces! (I probably am). How do I go about paying for it, assuming that I've made the first cut?

Best,
Richard Tiley

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Oops! What an idiot. I'll have to be more alert and see if I can't get in on the next batch - or the one after; or the one after that........

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I knew there was a good reason to live on the board. Alas work intervened.

:(

Red, would you please put me down as a definite for the next run? I put my name down in the first thread but didn't see this one until too late.

Cheers,

Huon

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
To aid Cegga with raising the number of people who get to see his work in the flesh I would be very happy to let people have a use of the one I will recieve. I'm based in Sheffield (near Crookes and a handy allotment) till easter and will be back in Norfolk around then. This should increase the number and variety of tasks it will be used for and opinions on the tool. I'm not too sure about posting it around the country so it will be for people in my neck of the woods. I will have access to a car in Norfolk and I can get around Shef quite easily. Hopefully this will allow me to get more varied use from it as well and some instruction on better axe technique if possible. I'll let people know when it arrives. I've got work during the week and on some weekends but I'll have a good number of afternoons free after the 21st of March. Hopefully this will aid the purpose of the group buy. Plus my cameras just broken so if people want pictures I'm not going to be any help. Joe.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Red, I really apreciate the amount of work etc you put into that project!
And Ceggas will to forge!
Your solution of not taking orders to avoid any pressure on Cegga is understandable and certainly one way to do it.
I would like, however, to make another suggestion.
Not everyone here is always around a PC or even has one in the house, maybe. or work and family commitments make logging in less frequent as wished.
So how about this:
Why not making a sort of non-binding waiting list.
If and when Cegga makes some axes, which is entirely up to him, they are offered to those on the list according to their place.
When "production" stops or ceases, thats just the way it is.
But maybe that would making receiving one less stressful or even out the chances for all.
Just a thought. Please dont take it as an offense to your effort.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like the idea of saying "At 2000 on Wednesday, I will open a thread for the next 10 Cegga axes. First ten people to post an interest in the thread will get an axe." If posted three or four days in advance, everyone will get fore warning, and the stampede would be fantastic!!

That way, everyone knows the thread will open at 8 pm, they need to be there or they will miss out. This will eradicate the feeling that we need to live on line to get a chance of owning one. I agree that pressurising the maker is a bad thing, so I hope nobody will do that.

It's just a thought, maybe you could throw a sofa in in a Colin stylee just for good measure! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE