The RAPPLEBY skills and techniques library

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
here is my rather modest collection of bushcraft/survival releted books and media most of it is "one off(out of print)" but there are some titles you may be interested in.

:shock: i only realised when i started taking down the details that i discovered how many books have "SAS" in the title :yikes: :oops: !

don't worry i'm not like that! :shock:

makes you wonder how the SAS carry all those handbooks :rolleyes: :eek:):

alot of the books do repeat ideas but the ideas do vary.

oh and im not paranoid, it's sort of a related hobby of mine to collect survival books and information, i am a bushcrafter at heart!
anyway at no expense spared here is my library, please feel free to ask about the content or availability.

some of them are rubbish! :roll:

The RAPPLEBY skills and techniques library
Ray Mears: Bushcraft/ The survival handbook/ Outdoor survival handbook.

John "lofty" Wiseman: SAS survival handbook/ SAS urban survival handbook/ SAS driver's survival handbook/ SAS survival flick book/ SAS survival guide (Collins gem).

Barry Davies: SAS escape, evasion, and survival manual/ SAS desert survival/ SAS mountain and arctic survival/ SAS jungle survival/ joining the SAS

Barry Davies: SAS escape evasion survival (castle home video)

SAS active library (also Barry Davies): Fitness training/ Mountain skills/ Emergency medic

Chris Ryan: Ultimate survival guide
Eddie McGee: No need to die
John Muston: Survival training and techniques
Jim Aitkin: Take the survival challenge
Brian Hildreth: How to survive
Anthony Greenbank: The book of survival
Chris McNab: The SAS handbook of living off the land
Neil Wilson: The SAS handbook of tracking and navigation
Alan watts: Instant weather forecasting
Jon.E.Lewis: The handbook of the SAS and elite forces
Priven and Borgenicht: The worst-case scenario survival handbook
(British army): The volunteer's pocket book
Dougal Robertson: Survive the savage sea
Lucy Irvine: Castaway (now a film with Oliver Reed)
Kathleen Meyer: How to **** in the woods
Eddie Cacutt: Survival
Royal marines survival and fitness

Official documents (I shouldn’t theoretically have):
PAM (air) 226: Arctic survival
JSP 374: Aircrew survival flip card
71360(HMSO): Cold weather operations (personal survival and safety guide)
71371(HMSO): Battlefield first aid
71090(HMSO): Basic battle skills
FM 21-76: Survival 1970 (US Forces)
US Navy: Sea bees survival manual

In addition, several full videotapes of "Ray Mears" and "SAS are you tough enough"

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
it must be noted that i haven't paid full price for any of the "barry davies" books, they were all either 2nd hand or in "bargain book" shops :nana: !

the "SAS active library" is worth a look, it has loads of pictures, most being civilian, with reasonably up to date ideas, his earlier publications like:

how to join the SAS, his video and book of the same title are more aimed (rather obviously ) at the armed forces, but there are still nuggets of useful stuff to anyone that enjoys the outdoor life.

i did go though a camo/para-military survival stage some years ago as many "survival" orientated people do(which explaines some of the books) but i've moved on to a more healthy relaxed and friendly bushcraft!

honest :-| i woulden't admit to owning them otherwise :wink: !

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:-? :oops:

i've actually done some thinking.......

recently i have changed my old ways and have decided to sell off my more military flavoured books, my bookshelf now looks like this!

Ray Mears: Bushcraft/ The survival handbook/ Outdoor survival handbook.

John "lofty" Wiseman: SAS survival handbook/ SAS urban survival handbook/ SAS driver's survival handbook/ SAS survival flick book/ SAS survival guide (Collins gem).

SAS active library (also Barry Davies): Fitness training/ Mountain skills/ Emergency medic

Chris Ryan: Ultimate survival guide
Eddie McGee: No need to die
John Muston: Survival training and techniques
Jim Aitkin: Take the survival challenge
Brian Hildreth: How to survive
Anthony Greenbank: The book of survival
Alan watts: Instant weather forecasting
Dougal Robertson: Survive the savage sea
Lucy Irvine: Castaway (now a film with Oliver Reed)
Kathleen Meyer: How to doggy doo in the woods
Eddie Cacutt: Survival

Official documents:
PAM (air) 226: Arctic survival
JSP 374: Aircrew survival flip card
71360(HMSO): Cold weather operations (personal survival and safety guide)
FM 21-76: Survival 1970 (US Forces) (A4 sized printed from internet!)

In addition, several full videotapes of "Ray Mears" and "SAS are you tough enough"
Barry Davies: SAS escape evasion survival (castle home video)

these ones are on thier way out!

71371(HMSO): Battlefield first aid
71090(HMSO): Basic battle skills
Royal marines fitness
(British army): The volunteer's pocket book
Jon.E.Lewis: The handbook of the SAS and elite forces
Chris McNab: The SAS handbook of living off the land
Neil Wilson: The SAS handbook of tracking and navigation
Barry Davies: SAS desert survival/ SAS mountain and arctic survival/ SAS jungle survival/ joining the SAS

there is survival/bushcraft info in them but to behonest it's duplicated a few times in my other books.

S

Strider

Is the ''SAS survival flick book'' by 'lofty' Wiseman what I think it is :lol: Can you flick it and watch him butcher sumting or make fire like a little video :roll: ??

-maybe thats a good idea-

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
One your missing which literally puts all those 'sas' type books to shame is Andy Lane's, Survival Advantage. Undoubtedly a military reharsh like all the others but at least his text and drawings are understandable and as far as I can see there is very little BS.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
strider:

the SAS flick book is wierd (same author) it is a very edited version of 56 pages, all printed on a sort of card with shiny finish a huge plastic rivet holds it together on one corner (so you can "fan" the pages like a pack of cards).
I'm keeping it more as a curiosity than actual use, prehaps i can use it to flick flies with as the size is annoying!
1"x2"x6" :-(

Gary, thanks for the tip i shall have a look :wink: .

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Well, just came across this. :wink:
If that's the one i think it is: It's directly REDICOULOUS!! :lol: I was sitting in a library when reading it and when I saw the articles on how to escape rope, bears, and win a sword fight, I laughed! :rolmao:
It's almost impossible to jump of a train and survive it. The sudden stop, kills you. I heartly doubt that one that has never been in a plane before can land it.....? :lol: And no if your stuck in a cross fire, there's only one way OUT of it. Run fast. Or seek cover.

The similar book: 'Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook' is just as bad. How can these to guys tell us how to deal with aliens if they never met one themselves?? :lol:

Well, in my opinion. Anyone agree? :biggthump

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the worst case survival manual is designed to be a joke!!! thats the point

however the information inside is actually quite accurate considering, the advise on quicksand, stopping run away camels etc is all correct

I heartly doubt that one that has never been in a plane before can land it

having flown a light aircraft I can tell you that the infomation contained it the book with regards to landing a plane is accurate, it is quite possible for somone who has never flown a plane to land one if they have assistance from the ground (which is why the book recommends hailing somone on the radio emergency frequencys)

if your stuck in a cross fire, there's only one way OUT of it. Run fast. Or seek cover.

I belive that is exactly what the book says

the fact of the matter is that the book is designed as light amusment, but that considered the information is mor accurate than you would expect from such a book

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
IT'S A JOKE? :yikes:
:censored: ... I had no clue about that.... :rolmao: :shock:
Hehe, and I was sittin' there thinking: this cannot be true. Who made such a book...

Whoups... :wink: :rolmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
yeah, i agree, there are 100 otherbooks i'd rather be left with in a tight spot,
it's sort of coffee table reading,

stuff to laugh at but informative too!
like the guinness book of records,

i have a book by the same writers called:

"the worst case scenario survival handbook: dating and sex!"

again funny, like how to spot a transexual, and how to escape a bad date, but also useful things like.........well actually in context it's all usefull but there's not many of these situations i've come across! :eek:): :eek:):

they've done one about surviving christmas too.... :eek:): :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE