The Purpose of Humans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 22, 2007
Weston Super Mare
Saying cows lie down before it rains, without qualifying a time scale for the rain to happen within, is just saying cows sometimes lie down and that sometimes it rains.

As for a purpose? I don't think there is one for humanity, though that doesn't exclude humans from making ones for themselves.

Or maybe it rains *because* cows lie down ;p

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I disagree ;) The motivation behind saying that was not "We can do whatever we want 'cause we're the awesomest bipeds on the whole planet!" but rather, we have to choose our purpose because if we don't, we won't have one. We have removed ourself so far from nature that the purpose that every other creature has simply doesn't apply to us any more; I certainly don't think that's a good thing, and definitely not a mark of superiority, more a rather saddening mark of how far we've gone down the wrong road.

Pete

I agree about us being on the wrong path. The only path we should choose imo is the one we have left, but we first need to find out what it was ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I agree about us being on the wrong path. The only path we should choose imo is the one we have left, but we first need to find out what it was ;)
To say we are on the "wrong path" presupposes that there is a path we were "meant" to follow, which in turn supposes that we are being led somewhere, for there to be a correct path, there has to be/have been someone who had better judgement than us, and kindly worked out our best route. An assertion for which there is not a jot of evidence.
We may be going in the wrong direction but we have to make our own ways and paths.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
To say we are on the "wrong path" presupposes that there is a path we were "meant" to follow, which in turn supposes that we are being led somewhere, for there to be a correct path, there has to be/have been someone who had better judgement than us, and kindly worked out our best route. An assertion for which there is not a jot of evidence.
We may be going in the wrong direction but we have to make our own ways and paths.

This is all only opinions Tad, there is no right or wrong answer as none of it can be proved. Theres no evidence to suggest the opposite of what i speak either.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This is all only opinions Tad, there is no right or wrong answer as none of it can be proved. Theres no evidence to suggest the opposite of what i speak either.
I think you misunderstand the definition of ‘proof’, many many things can be proved, and in fact it is relatively easy to prove things. (We are not talking mathematical proof here)
What is hard much much harder is, disproving things for which there is no proof of their existence .
I can not provide evidence that disproves that claim that Russell’s Celestial Teapot orbits the sun between Mars and the earth. Nor can I disprove my e-friends pet dragon whom he claims keeps in his garage, (He tells me it’s both pink and invisible).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I think you misunderstand the definition of ‘proof’, many many things can be proved, and in fact it is relatively easy to prove things. (We are not talking mathematical proof here)
What is hard much much harder is, disproving things for which there is no proof of their existence .
I can not provide evidence that disproves that claim that Russell’s Celestial Teapot orbits the sun between Mars and the earth. Nor can I disprove my e-friends pet dragon whom he claims keeps in his garage, (He tells me it’s both pink and invisible).

Quite obviously your friend is talking through a hole in his head. Anyone that knows anything about it, knows full well that pink and invisible dragons died out long ago, apparently the lid from a tea pot floating in outer space fell to earth and caused their extinction. Mauve and invisible are one of the few remaining.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<sigh>

Thought we'd got onto something more generally interesting than arguing the unprovable with the intransigent.

I was wrong

Seconds away.....round two!

Now Shroedingers cat...............

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've always thought there should be a Shroedingers mouse as well

Along with the thought that Shroedingers cat proves one thing.

Scientists talk absolute c*** ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
must... avoid.... arguing.... with.... British Red. :rant: :p
Either scientists have papal infallibility or they talk c***. Nowhere did I say "always".

But all scientists talk c*** some of the time. Some scientists talk c*** all of the time.

By all means however get out the scientific bell book and candle and declare me apostate. I'm sure I will be excommunicated from science.

1010011010 is the number of the beast!

Red

Red

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Either scientists have papal infallibility or they talk c***. Nowhere did I say "always".

But all scientists talk c*** some of the time. Some scientists talk c*** all of the time.

By all means however get out the scientific bell book and candle and declare me apostate. I'm sure I will be excommunicated from science.

1010011010 is the number of the beast!

Red

Red

no, no, no. you misunderstand. I'm beginning to think that is the purpose of humans. :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just re-read my original post.

Something occured to me.

If E-bay never make a mistake on the exchange of monies following a transaction......

Is that PayPal infallibility?

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE