The Purpose of Humans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Something i have been thinking about lately.

Where do we fit in the scheme of things? What is our natural purpose? Everything has one, what is ours?

It would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this,

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
That's a huge question Bill.

Personally I'm not sure there is a point to it all. We just exist because we do, there is no scheme and nothing really has a purpose.

That's no reason not to enjoy life though.

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well, speaking on geological timescales, and being the top predator I would think our job / place is to be wiped out by the next "event" only a few very small truly unspecialized bushcrafters will survive.
Over time they'll grow larger and their wool jerkins will evolve into an all over coating, this will be especially important as it won't flare up with their specially adapted "firesteel" limb, one rear leg will morph into a gransfor bruks axe, whilst the other forelimb will be a woodlore clone. Eyes will be shaded by a large rim of leather skin, not unlike a tilley hat, and matting ceremonies will take place around twisted steel that looks not unlike a fire trivet.
They'' eventually evolve into two species. One with a comfortable belly that likes to eat grubs, and the other will take on bear like proportions and smash itself into cliff faces and eat poo for fun.
Goatboy.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That's a huge question Bill.

Personally I'm not sure there is a point to it all. We just exist because we do, there is no scheme and nothing really has a purpose.

That's no reason not to enjoy life though.

Rob

Everything has a purpose, everything has its own job, everything controls something, it wouldn't all work otherwise.

As to the point? Well there isn't one. just curious to anyones thoughts.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well, speaking on geological timescales, and being the top predator I would think our job / place is to be wiped out by the next "event" only a few very small truly unspecialized bushcrafters will survive.
Over time they'll grow larger and their wool jerkins will evolve into an all over coating, this will be especially important as it won't flare up with their specially adapted "firesteel" limb, one rear leg will morph into a gransfor bruks axe, whilst the other forelimb will be a woodlore clone. Eyes will be shaded by a large rim of leather skin, not unlike a tilley hat, and matting ceremonies will take place around twisted steel that looks not unlike a fire trivet.
They'' eventually evolve into two species. One with a comfortable belly that likes to eat grubs, and the other will take on bear like proportions and smash itself into cliff faces and eat poo for fun.
Goatboy.

:lmao: nice one.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Personally, I don't necessarily think there is a grand design. I think we, like everything else on the planet, should blend in with as little disruption and destruction as possible, something at which we seem to fail pretty miserably at as a people - we don't act like a native population, we act like foreign invaders.

Interestingly, we don't have much of a purpose like other creatures do. Certain plants will refresh soil, plants also of course recycle CO2 into O2, and serve as food. Animals serve as food and fertiliser - food for other animals and fungi, fertiliser for plants. In truth there is no 'food chain', it's a circle with us, humans, somewhere outside it - nothing explicitely depends on us, if we never existed then it would probably not be an issue. Conservation is usually in place to protect species damaged by us in the first place. Sure, we raise a load of stuff by farming - but it's stuff that isn't supposed to exist in such proportions in nature, and we only grow it to eat it.

Really, I don't feel some humanitarian guilt, I'm just being thoughtful. It's modern man that is the problem - back in the day of hunter gatherers, population was controlled the same as with every other animal - if there wasn't food for us, some of us would die and the population would be at a sustainable level. People lived more nomadically, so the environment had time to recover from each visit.

So, I don't think we really have a purpose other than self-perpetuation. Or maybe just to live. Do we need one though? ;)

For the record, the above is just pondering more than anything else.

Pete

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I reckon were here to control......Trees. The UK for example was just one big forest a few thousand years ago, coast to coast. If other things controlled them then that would not be the case. They say we come from apes, trees then being second nature..

Just my thoughts, nothing more :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Personally, I don't necessarily think there is a grand design. I think we, like everything else on the planet, should blend in with as little disruption and destruction as possible, something at which we seem to fail pretty miserably at as a people - we don't act like a native population, we act like foreign invaders.

Interestingly, we don't have much of a purpose like other creatures do. Certain plants will refresh soil, plants also of course recycle CO2 into O2, and serve as food. Animals serve as food and fertiliser - food for other animals and fungi, fertiliser for plants. In truth there is no 'food chain', it's a circle with us, humans, somewhere outside it - nothing explicitely depends on us, if we never existed then it would probably not be an issue. Conservation is usually in place to protect species damaged by us in the first place. Sure, we raise a load of stuff by farming - but it's stuff that isn't supposed to exist in such proportions in nature, and we only grow it to eat it.

Really, I don't feel some humanitarian guilt, I'm just being thoughtful. It's modern man that is the problem - back in the day of hunter gatherers, population was controlled the same as with every other animal - if there wasn't food for us, some of us would die and the population would be at a sustainable level. People lived more nomadically, so the environment had time to recover from each visit.

So, I don't think we really have a purpose other than self-perpetuation. Or maybe just to live. Do we need one though? ;)

For the record, the above is just pondering more than anything else.

Pete

I reckon we have left or purpose behind when "civilisation" began.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
like i said i'm not sure anything really has a purpose. it all just happens to fit together, I think niche theory makes sense.

I dunno what our niche is though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Species adapt to fit their environmental niche.
We are unique, we choose which niche we wish to inhabit and our ability to create what we can conceive, and the society that supports this, allows us to thrive on every continent on this Earth. We've even left this planet and physically walked on the Moon.

Wonderful isn't it ? :D

Purpose ? Who knows :dunno: I don't reckon we have one, we just are.

Control ? Be nice to see us control the litter droppers, the abusers, the warmongers......not going to happen in any direct fashion I suspect.
Ultimately controlling our own selfish ends is probably the most important thing to allow other life to thrive on this planet.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
OK on the tree front, we Brits got down to less than 5% tree cover at the end of the war. This was not good, we'd been relying on the Empire for too many years. In the years after WWII we finally got up to about 16% forest cover. The rest of mainland Europe is about 25% forest cover.
One of the main reasons for lack of cover these days is sheep ( or TGB's - Tree Gobbling B*******) wipe these useless herbivores out and we'd have a lot more trees. I've seen sites that haven't had trees coming up for a hundred years, when shee are excluded suddenly explorer species like burch, and even better Scots Pine start to sprout.
Get rid of sheep, on and keep the deer down and the trees will come back.
GB

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
OK on the tree front, we Brits got down to less than 5% tree cover at the end of the war. This was not good, we'd been relying on the Empire for too many years. In the years after WWII we finally got up to about 16% forest cover. The rest of mainland Europe is about 25% forest cover.
One of the main reasons for lack of cover these days is sheep ( or TGB's - Tree Gobbling B*******) wipe these useless herbivores out and we'd have a lot more trees. I've seen sites that haven't had trees coming up for a hundred years, when shee are excluded suddenly explorer species like burch, and even better Scots Pine start to sprout.
GB

We cut the trees, bring the sheep into the spaces we have cleared so they keep the land clear and when we and our sheep leave the area the trees relcaim it. :lmao:

See, a never ending job until technology got us all laid off :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
GB

Yeah, I have to agree, and economics is doing it for us bit by bit.
Sheep used to be valued animals and kept close, they weren't hardy hill sheep like the Cheviots. They weren't allowed to decimate the world around us. Maybe we could get back to that and much higher grade fleeces too.

On that note, I met an Anthropologist a while back who was quite adamant that it was human flocks of grazing animals that kept Africa from feeding itself properly. That goats were the major cause of the Sahara desert's expansion, and that Australian sheep farms decimated the 'Bush'. Mongolia without it's herds too would not be the desert it is, and the Amazon rainforest would not be under such pressure either.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE