The Purpose of Humans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Saying cows lie down before it rains, without qualifying a time scale for the rain to happen within, is just saying cows sometimes lie down and that sometimes it rains.

As for a purpose? I don't think there is one for humanity, though that doesn't exclude humans from making ones for themselves.

That sounds like you hit the nail pretty square on... perhaps intelligence negates any inherent purpose, and we are "supposed" to make our own.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
To be the most advanced species on the planet, whilst simultaneously creating and feeding on concepts of self doubt and that there has to be a purpose for our very existence!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thats just human superiority complex kicking in now though :)

I disagree ;) The motivation behind saying that was not "We can do whatever we want 'cause we're the awesomest bipeds on the whole planet!" but rather, we have to choose our purpose because if we don't, we won't have one. We have removed ourself so far from nature that the purpose that every other creature has simply doesn't apply to us any more; I certainly don't think that's a good thing, and definitely not a mark of superiority, more a rather saddening mark of how far we've gone down the wrong road.

Pete

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
hmmmm but, without cheating, can you name both ragdolls from Bagpuss? And the bookend? And who loved Bagpuss? And who was the boy mouse on the mouse organ?

:D

I can do that one!

Gabriel the Toad

Madeleine the Ragdoll

The bookend was Professor Yaffle.

And Emily loved him :D

(There was an interview with Emily Firmin on the BBC News website recently, talking about her dad and Oliver Postgate)

Charlie Mouse.

Bought the video when the kids were small - I think I could still talk/sing along through every episode :)

Edit: Haven't managed to acquire Noggin the Nog or the Clangers on DVD yet, mind... Can you tell I'm a Smallfilms fan?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can put up with nihilism. I can put up with arguments about the existence of DOG (did you hear about the agnositc insomniac? He lies awake at night debating the existing of DOG)

But that is just plain too much!

Its blue string PUDDING ***

Soup comes from the soup dragon who mines it from the soup wells!

wllckn.jpg

Blue string is consumed in the form of pudding :rolleyes:

bspbag.jpg

Look - we can get the trivial stuff about celestial old blokes with beards wrong, but by the light of the iron chicken, let us please at least keep the facts straight!

:D

Red

:lmao:

Superb!

:You_Rock_

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ahhh!

I now know what 'Blue String Soup/Pudding' is ..

I was worried , I thought it was something i either missed in R.E or some Zen Like Euphemism i hadn;t come across

My life is now enlightened.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ooooops :eek:

Silly Toddy, of course it is pudding :eek: :rolleyes:

Gimme a break, the eldest is thirty this Summer, it's been a long while since I made the blue string spaghetti stuff...........used to make Desperate Dan style mini cow pies, complete with pasty horns and tails, too :approve:
Never guess I had fun with my kids would you ? :D

atb,
M

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
An aside if I may.

In an interview, Oliver Postgate told of the time when a Clangers script was censored by the BBC.

Major clanger was trying to open a door and the script had him say "the bloody thing's stuck again". The producer was horrified, "you can't have him say that", he said.

Postgate was made to change the script.

What a wonderful institution the BBC is.:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not me, I found Bagpuss a bit childish, sorry.:eek:

I have, courtesy of one of my staff, a Timothy Mouse who sits on my filing cabinet. When pressed, he sings the "we will find it, we will bind it" song by the mice on the mouse organ.

Never fails to make me smile when a client is having a bleat! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE