The price of RM/AW knives !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's not my only reason though. Buy direct and you're in with a chance of getting something unique. One of a kind.... Was also referring more to the queue skipping "second hand" price rather than the RM direct one.

As it stands I can't afford either and have better things to spend my moolah on, mostly child care.

But then you are not looking at a Woodlore knife if you want something unique.

As far as the second hand price goes, I would say any man who looks for less than the market price for those knives is either a saint, a fool, is charitable and deserves praise, or has more money than he needs. Those that look for more either need that money badly, or feel the knife is only worth parting for, for that amount or more. Whatever the reason, it isn't down to any other person that doesn't know the seller, to pass judgement.

Many people have better and more important things to spend their money on. Many people don't, or save up to buy that item that means so much. There is no right and wrong in this matter, just personal preference. Those people that would buy this knife ahead of putting their child first. Now those people deserve to be criticised.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
But then you are not looking at a Woodlore knife if you want something unique.

As far as the second hand price goes, I would say any man who looks for less than the market price for those knives is either a saint, a fool, is charitable and deserves praise, or has more money than he needs. Those that look for more either need that money badly, or feel the knife is only worth parting for, for that amount or more. Whatever the reason, it isn't down to any other person that doesn't know the seller, to pass judgement.

Never said I was? But you could argue liners pins and scale materials could give you a unique combination.

The market price is what people will pay. Not arguing with that. Simply saying what I would rather do. No arguments, only opinions.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think every variation of the Woodlore blade made by Alan has been done over and over. Unique is something you can't achieve on this pattern blade made by the one maker anymore, unless it is personally engraved or etched or uses Damascus steel. But then you are looking at a higher price than the Woodlore anyway.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think every variation of the Woodlore blade made by Alan has been done over and over. Unique is something you can't achieve on this pattern blade made by the one maker anymore, unless it is personally engraved or etched or uses Damascus steel. But then you are looking at a higher price than the Woodlore anyway.

Ok. .

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Wanted.

Alan wood custom woodlore knife

Rwl34 steel. Sabre ground.

carbon fibre black liners

cerise pink g10 scales

Thumb jimping

File work On the spine in the form of thorns on a rose stem

12mm carbon fibre lanyard tube.

6mm Mosaic pins in a yin yang pattern with blue GITD powder infill for the yin part. Black GITD powder in the yang.

Plaited silk lanyard in midnight blue with silver thread woven through

Sheath made from freshly culled badger skin, sewn together with sinew from a Shetland pony.
Must've been made in a leap year.

Willing to offer about fifty quid. Or will swap for my 2000ad collection.

No returns.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now that would be original :lmao: But the Woodlore pattern isn't sabre ground and hasn't got jimping. And the sheath would be highly illegal :lmao:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Beautiful Martin, just beautiful.

As a tribute to you and just to show that us few Instructor Woodlore owners do use our knives for something too.

P1010633.jpg

P1010634.jpg

Interestingly, I've been offered nearly £2k for that knife. But some things are worth more than a lump of money. Maybe that's what people miss when they only see the price.

If you own the knife and want to sell it, then it's up to you what you want to part with it. If you don't own one and really want the knife, then it's up to you what you pay to get it. It's no one elses business. People want different things. Some like cars, some like nicely shaped hedges, some like bespoke suits and spend a fortune on antiques that most would see as old and useless. Others see beauty in trees and flowers while others see a day out. Some pay to go to lavish hotels abroad while others like to sit in the wood for free. Some like both.

Nicely done Sir. :)
:rofl: LOL! .... more than one person has taken a picture of some poncey knife next to a pile of money!??

made my night chaps ;)

Yep, originally taken in 2010 for a reply in this thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52975&highlight=paperweight

I think cash makes a nice background. Im having a bad month though........

20121108_213744.jpg

Superb. :lmao:

It's a paper weight !

Yep, that's what he said in post 09 and my reply in post 16: :lmao:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52975&highlight=paperweight

durhammaker

Feb 1, 2008
durham.
Dont think Ray pretends to use it for the camreas,the bloke has done it and still does it on tv as well as for real, he still instructs and leads the Arctic courses so really thats quite a glib statement.
What's worse?..

the vulchers who buy the collectable/rare items specifically to make money - or the chumps that buy it?

I see no reason to buy something like that just because some famous person pretends to use one for the camera! but then again we've all fallen for something like that at some point.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I brought a mora off woodlore a while ago, it cost £10 with free posting. Its says ray mears on the side!! Maybe someone will buy it off me for.........£700 that would be nice?? Carbon blade, rubber handle in green :) If i do sell it I think i'll buy another, they're £10.50 now tho so i'd have to pay for the post, thats another £3.50. Would still be a good deal if i could sell it for £800. Thats right, the price has just gone up ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Demand = price.
The very fact that so many people complain about the prices of AW knifes is proof that masses of people do an Ebay search on them.

That many people wanting them puts the price up. There's lots of other makers making knives in the same shape out of the same materials, buy one of those instead.

How many people here are that dense that they would sell something to a complete stranger for fifty quid when you know you could sell it for a few hundred?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Demand = price.
The very fact that so many people complain about the prices of AW knifes is proof that masses of people do an Ebay search on them.

That many people wanting them puts the price up. There's lots of other makers making knives in the same shape out of the same materials, buy one of those instead.

How many people here are that dense that they would sell something to a complete stranger for fifty quid when you know you could sell it for a few hundred?

So you don't think i'll get my cerise pink one for £50? :(

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
is'nt it this was put to bed when made comments about UNCLE RAY i was trolling seems like we are all equal but some are more equal than others

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
He means a while ago he did some Ray bashing and got told off and the thread locked

but a few have done it on this thread and newts happened,....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE