The perfect frying pan... suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have several cooksets mainly designed for use on gas. I'm looking for a frying pan that can be used on an open fire aswell. Lightweight with a folding handle.
I love my cast iron fry pan but it's just too heavy and bulky to cart around in my pack.
I don't want aluminium and a lid would be good.
I'm thinking probably stainless steel, but do these stick?
Any recommendations?

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I had/have somewhere a us issue mess tin and two sided plate kit in s/s. Worked fine as i recall, not ultra light but lighter than cast iron

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That looks great.
Sadly out of stock at present but there is no rush as I'm unable to get out and about for a few weeks after breaking my foot :(
That's just what I'm looking for.
Likely to be a goer.
Any others?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If cast iron would have been your default and you are simply looking for the same only lighter, you could buy a Tefal, or similar.

A folding handle is good though and again, if you aren't really looking for ultralight, GSI Glacier make one in stainless steel (as do MSR and others) and there is a bunch of aluminium nonstick ones: GSI and MSR again, Jetboil etc. Maybe you'll prefer a short fixed handle though ... and there are camping options there too by the same people.

I think the rule of thumb is that the more you pay for teflon-coated ones, the less likely it is that you will end up eating the teflon.

The one I prefer is an old MSR non-stick, with a metal folding handle, 10" diameter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You could use your plate as a lid?

That looks good too. Also cheaper. (Cheapskate me! :) )
Would work very well with a tin plate as a lid., I was planning on plastic to save weight but then a tin plate doesn't make that much difference I guess.
I like the non stick.
Definatly a contender.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Away in the gloomy backs of many Asian grocery stores, you will find the dishes and cutlery.
I would expect to see several sizes of woks.
They are meant to be used over high heat open flame burners anyway.

Some woks have a socket in which you could fix a branch handle. I have 2 of those.
Some times, a western-style handle is just the thing.
Easy to have such a socket welded onto any wok.
If you don't cook in a wok, you should try. Great for servings of any size.

My oldest wok is about 45 yrs now. On my third spoon, wore out the others.
It is as stick free as any teflon you can find. Never, ever washed with detergent to spoil the surface.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Away in the gloomy backs of many Asian grocery stores, you will find the dishes and cutlery.
I would expect to see several sizes of woks.
They are meant to be used over high heat open flame burners anyway.

Some woks have a socket in which you could fix a branch handle. I have 2 of those.
Some times, a western-style handle is just the thing.
Easy to have such a socket welded onto any wok.
If you don't cook in a wok, you should try. Great for servings of any size.

My oldest wok is about 45 yrs now. On my third spoon, wore out the others.
It is as stick free as any teflon you can find. Never, ever washed with detergent to spoil the surface.
Sadly no Asian grocery stores within miles and miles.
A wok is a bit big... even a small one and doesn't suit my style of camp cooking.
I do have a nice one at home though.
Must do something stir fry soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I want a little wok. Maybe 12" rim diameter. To puddle up some sauces or small cookings.
I know they exist, I just haven't hit the right store yet. Need a small gas ring with that.

That Primus pan which Nice65 suggests is worth another look from me.

Probably not what you want based on your wants list. I think mine is alu and has no lid. Its one of the Trangia models.

The things I especially like though is that it is non stick, is a decent size, superlight at 200g and has a folding handle. The handle is especially neat as it is designed such that you can get a stick in there to extend so you can cook over hot coals and sit well back from the heat.

Like in this pic I posted to my instagram just recently.
b1b5450152f7153f9072fe2c956cad91.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'll second that, i love mine.

I have the older model, with a wire handle that folds back into the pan and a slide bit to lock it in position. That and the Litech kettle are two of my most used and reliable bits of kit. I’ve got a lovely shiny Eagle Industries kettle from Thor ( http://www.techthor.com/lamp/shopexd.asp?id=233) over the water and though admired, it’s rarely used. Maybe if I boiled on a pot hanger I would use it more, but tea is usually done on the gas. He sells a rolled steel pan with a hollow handle to fit a stick handle. Steel, if seasoned properly like a wok will be ‘kinda’ non-stick. ;)

A lot of the Litech pan reviews mention non-stick and the assumption is there’s a Teflon type coating, but it isn’t like that. I’ve cooked and burned mine in the fire loads of times, tipping all the sausages and fat to the back to cook, letting the thing sit in there too long. If stuff burns on it just gets scraped out, there doesn’t seem to be any coating apart from the anodising. Most importantly I’ve never felt the need to replace it or look for something different and I’m terrible for upgrading and testing alternatives.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have the older model, with a wire handle that folds back into the pan and a slide bit to lock it in position. That and the Litech kettle are two of my most used and reliable bits of kit. I’ve got a lovely shiny Eagle Industries kettle from Thor ( http://www.techthor.com/lamp/shopexd.asp?id=233) over the water and though admired, it’s rarely used. Maybe if I boiled on a pot hanger I would use it more, but tea is usually done on the gas. He sells a rolled steel pan with a hollow handle to fit a stick handle. Steel, if seasoned properly like a wok will be ‘kinda’ non-stick. ;)

A lot of the Litech pan reviews mention non-stick and the assumption is there’s a Teflon type coating, but it isn’t like that. I’ve cooked and burned mine in the fire loads of times, tipping all the sausages and fat to the back to cook, letting the thing sit in there too long. If stuff burns on it just gets scraped out, there doesn’t seem to be any coating apart from the anodising. Most importantly I’ve never felt the need to replace it or look for something different and I’m terrible for upgrading and testing alternatives.
I've got the LiTech kettle. Its mega. The lid makes the perfect sized solo bannock or pancake....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Probably not what you want based on your wants list. I think mine is alu and has no lid. Its one of the Trangia models.

The things I especially like though is that it is non stick, is a decent size, superlight at 200g and has a folding handle. The handle is especially neat as it is designed such that you can get a stick in there to extend so you can cook over hot coals and sit well back from the heat.

Like in this pic I posted to my instagram just recently.
b1b5450152f7153f9072fe2c956cad91.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
I like that picture.
I have the same knife, hanging pot, and grill rack!
The fry pan with a stick handle is a brilliant idea.
I don't want aluminium realy but it's tempting.
Metal handles do get hot!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've got the LiTech kettle. Its mega. The lid makes the perfect sized solo bannock or pancake....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

That’s the Trek Kettle. I have the traditional style one for water. I did have the Trek Kettle, I’m not sure I still do. It’s great kit with a stove and gas can nested in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE