The Norse Saga Cloak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fortunately it was a bit too big to easily pinch. It's sad to say but everything that isn't nailed down tends to be a target for souvenir hunters.

If it would be possible to get a photograph of the finished item that would be great. The only picture I had of the whole thing was one of the shots I lost in a RAID array failure that took out two hard drives a few years ago.

Lofotr-billedrevle.png

The best I have is this one from Nille's blog, another craftsperson that worked on the tapestry.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What stitches did they use?

The Bayeux tapestry was just a chain stitch and a filler, yes?

I have a good modern book on tapestry work; it sounds very enticing but the book is so complex as to intimidate.

I dont think folk in the past used cross stitch....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A lot of the Bayeux Tapestry was done with couching or "laid work" where long surface threads are fastened to the ground cloth with shorter stitches. I believe the line work was just stem stitch.

The original Oseberg Tapestry was mostly Soumak which is a weaving technique rather than embroidery. This accounts for the rather geometric shapes of the figures.

The hanging that Debs worked on a Lofotr was embroidered though. ( Crewel work strictly speaking. )

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Norse-Cloak-of-Myth-II.jpg

OK, a small update. A few minor design changes resulting from seeing the art overlaid on the embroidery. Getting a better idea how it works together and all that.

We're now working with the full range of yarns available from Appletons.

Spent the best part of a day sorting them into specific colour groups for each character. Lots of symbolism to think about there.

The colours you see on the design work here will now not be quite the same on the finished cloak in some places.

Work begins now on some of the outer elements before seeing how the colours work for the inner worlds.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnC and Janne

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Norse-Cloak-of-Myth-XIIX.jpg

The latest draft of the artwork, no. XIIX which gives you some idea of the level of thought going into this project.

We've dropped a couple of items that were making it a bit overcrowded and not adding much to the narrative. Shuffled other things around, there is now a bit of space between Alfhiem and Gladshiem that we still need to fill with something.

The main changes are to some of the principle characters around the outside ( the next section Debs will be working on ).

Debs has been busy as well. The tree is now complete, Fenrir has been finished and she is currently re-working Mimir's head because she wasn't happy with it as you see it here. ( I'm not going to argue. ) I'll re-photograph the embroidery when that is done.

Reactions: oldtimer

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its going well.

Where did you get the chained Loki from? He isnt represented much in Norse art.

(He is on one of the Manx crosses in Maughold though. Throwing a stone at Otter).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, yes, I am unfamiliar with Saxon art. Do I see a related to ring chain design there?

It does appear to be Loki, doesnt it? Of course the Norse sagas would have a Trickster.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that there are crosses with Celtic symbolism on them in the UK that pre-date Christianity here so the crosses are not necessarily Christian. Am I wrong?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its very hard to date such artefacts. I would not go to say that there were pre Christian crosses.

Anyhow there have been xtians in this country since late Roman times. Most crosses would be about 600-1200?

Yes, lots of pagan imagery. But I think many folk saw no conflict. Odin, as we know, is a god who sacrifices himself for knowlege for mankind.

(And of corse the old monks would have been classical scholars)

The Sigurd story is popular on the Isle of Man.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Its very hard to date such artefacts. I would not go to say that there were pre Christian crosses.

Anyhow there have been xtians in this country since late Roman times. Most crosses would be about 600-1200?

Yes, lots of pagan imagery. But I think many folk saw no conflict. Odin, as we know, is a god who sacrifices himself for knowlege for mankind.

(And of corse the old monks would have been classical scholars)

The Sigurd story is popular on the Isle of Man.

Mmm… I'll have to do more research :) I was sure there are Celtic cross like structures that are dated way before the Romans arrived - but I'm off topic now so will go away and study :)

No, I was wrong, a quick check of my sources and I'd got my wires crossed - I'll use the old 'old age' excuse :)

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It was a common punishment to put bad people on a cross through all of the Roman Republic ,Empire and even maybe the R. Kingdom.
Predates the Christian era by hundreds of years.
Of course, the Romans ventured into Britain much later.

Are not the Celtic stones just shaped flattish stones? Inscribed with simple motifs, swirls and such?

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Norse-Cloak-of-Myth---Embroidery-10-2-2019-800.jpg

OK, latest update. The tree is now completed other than the middle section which needs to intersect with elements of the design near the centre.

( This is also a more realistic idea of the background material colour, I've reduced the image contrast for a better rendering. )

Norse-Cloak-of-Myth-Draft-XIX-800.jpg

Combine that with draft XIX of the artwork and that is where we stand at the moment.

Reactions: oldtimer and Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE