The Norse Saga Cloak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Your work would be an invaluable resource with relevance to all stages of Education from Primary School to Post Graduate. It would also be of interest to the wider public in addition to those who directly share your interests. I would suggest approaching Education Officers in universities with departments providing courses in Nordic studies with the offer of a bequest that would entail keeping the collection intact. A condition should be that schools and the general public will also have access to the collection.

I apologise if this is like teaching a grandmother to suck eggs, but we faced a similar problem with some of the research documents left by my late father-in-law, a documentary film maker.. As an academic herself, my wife was able to identify Universities to whom this material was relevant and donated it accordingly. Fortunately, the British Film Institute hold an archive of much of his work on film. My wife derives great satisfaction from the knowledge that his legacy lives on.

The tragedy would be to allow such beautiful things to be dispersed into private collections where they will be seen only by a privileged few. However, I have to admit that I wouldn't mind having one of your artefacts in my private collection!

Reactions: JFW and Wayland

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You have a point, Oldtimer.

I think about my artefacts too; some of my books are really rare and I think i ought to will them to the relevant bodies.

But...who would care about me after my death to bother to make it so?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Your work would be an invaluable resource with relevance to all stages of Education from Primary School to Post Graduate. It would also be of interest to the wider public in addition to those who directly share your interests. I would suggest approaching Education Officers in universities with departments providing courses in Nordic studies with the offer of a bequest that would entail keeping the collection intact. A condition should be that schools and the general public will also have access to the collection.

I apologise if this is like teaching a grandmother to suck eggs, but we faced a similar problem with some of the research documents left by my late father-in-law, a documentary film maker.. As an academic herself, my wife was able to identify Universities to whom this material was relevant and donated it accordingly. Fortunately, the British Film Institute hold an archive of much of his work on film. My wife derives great satisfaction from the knowledge that his legacy lives on.

The tragedy would be to allow such beautiful things to be dispersed into private collections where they will be seen only by a privileged few. However, I have to admit that I wouldn't mind having one of your artefacts in my private collection!

An interesting thought OT, I hadn't thought about universities.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ok, Wayland, what dont you like about Yorvik?

When I was in York, last millenium, I did not go, though several folk urged me to, it sounded too touristy.

But I now know that many scholars think highly of it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As an organisation, the York Archeology Trust generally do a good job.

As an attraction Jorvik is often staffed by students and anyone else they can get cheaply. Their knowledge usually leaves much to be desired and there is no way they would have a clue how to make use and conserve an artefact like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cloak-Draft-XXIII.jpg

Time for another update.

Debs thinks this may actually be completed this year.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Wayland

Oh, wow :D
That is an amazing piece of work. Well done Debs :cool:

I think she (you?) ought to document it. Write it up and put it out as a booklet of some kind.
It all adds to the artefact, adds to it's provenance, etc.,

For instance, the folks who did the work to make the Storytelling Yurt printed postcards and those are still doing the rounds.

Reactions: Wayland

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I second what Toddy says.

It really is an impressive piece of work and needs to be viewed widely. I access your work by going to your Wayland 's World website and navigating from there. Is there a more direct route? It occurs to me that although I find all your projects interesting, others may have a narrower focus.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
@Wayland

Oh, wow :D
That is an amazing piece of work. Well done Debs :cool:

I think she (you?) ought to document it. Write it up and put it out as a booklet of some kind.
It all adds to the artefact, adds to it's provenance, etc.,

For instance, the folks who did the work to make the Storytelling Yurt printed postcards and those are still doing the rounds.
We are keeping notes and artwork as we go to do something along those lines.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE