The New Schrade Extreme Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well, now I have another one to put through some paces to see how well it holds up. Ever since Schrade, in my opinion, let poor business decisions in dealings with Wal-Mart put them out of business I have had reservations about buying products from what was at one time one of my favorite knife makers. Those reservations were not helped by Schrade being bought and re-set-up in the R.O.C. , however those reservations have been eased somewhat by personal opinions I've read on some of the new Schrade products so....

This is the new Schrade Extreme Survival Knife. It is based on the Chris Reeve Project I, and machined as best I can tell in near identical demensions but at about 1/6 of the cost of the Project I.

Machined from one piece of "hi-carbon" 1070 SEA steel , with a threaded alluminum butt cap
12 5/8 inches over-all length.
With a blade thickness of 0.230" and length of 7.5" with a 1.5" section of serrations near the hilt (blade comes shaving sharp).
Kydex (I think, maybe ABS plastic) lined Nylon sheath with pouch that is M.O.L.L.E. compatable with multiple tie down points.
Tool kit in handle consists of 3 phillips driver bits #'s 0,1,and2, 3 flat head driver bits sizes (oddly in "standard" measurements rather than metric) 3/32", 3/16", and 1/4", 3 torx driver bits T-10, T-15, and T-20, 1 hex 5/64 hex head, a magnetic bit holder, and a rod to put through the lanyard hole for more tork, there is a set screw in the butt cap to hold this rod in place securely and that is what the 5/64 hex bit is for.

*** EDIT***

In further study of this knife it is not as much an exact copy of the CRK as I first thought. The spine of the blade is ground differently at the tip making it a little thinner but perhaps allowing easier penetration. The handle is a little fatter, and the tool kit is nowhere near as fancy, hi-tech, or fashionable but just as functional as best I can tell so far. I have also edited the specs on it some as I have called the company to enquire about the type of steel, it is 1070 SEA hi-carbon steel

PICT0977.jpg

I haven't done a lot with it yet, just enough to quickly form an initial opinion. I have chopped a few dead limbs in my driveway with it the night I got it.

Then I made a couple stakes. This picture also shows the tool kit inside the handle.

PICT0990.jpg

I've chopped a little fatwood as this is a really good test to see how soft the metal and edge of a knife is. However I didn't just chop, I chopped the blade in deep (with it's massive weight it chops very well) and then pried the pieces apart breaking them off, while I don't suggest doing this in the woods in a survival situation here at home I wanted to test this blade...it seems to make a good pry bar. Afterward I just repeatedly chopped chips off of that knot for about five minutes.

PICT0978.jpg

PICT0979.jpg

I chopped a couple of dead (but not soft) hardwood limbs in two out in the back yard

PICT0980.jpg

PICT0981.jpg

PICT0982.jpg

It is a bit bigger than what I am used to carrying, but the weight isn't bad.

PICT0991.jpg

This is the balance point with the tools in the handle.

PICT1001.jpg

This is the balance point minus the tool kit

PICT0002.jpg

This shows the tool kit seperated from the butt cap.

PICT0001.jpg

After what cutting, hacking, chopping and splitting I've done so far it still shaves and there is no sign what-so-ever of any wear on the edge.

PICT0989.jpg

So...initial opinion, The knife feels good in the hand and is a very effective chopper, however when chopping the bits in the front portion of the carrier are thrown out of the carrier and ratlle around in the handle. The steel "feels" good and the knife feels very solid. The grind lines are excellent and as near to perfect as a machine can get them. The serrations were a little over sharpened but function very well and cut rope, paracord and 2" webbing like hot butter. The handle does get quite cold when left in a vehicle over night in the winter so it is probably beter suited to wamer weather/climate

I haven't worn it on any hikes so I don't have a lot to say about the sheath yet other than the blade moves around in it a lot and it produces more noise than I prefer.

All in all my initial opinion is that it is based on a proven design, seems to be well executed, feels good, the edge doesn't seem to be too soft (now to find out if it's too hard for practical use), functions well so far, but definitely better suited to warmer seasons though would have temperature issues in a desert environment as well. For any soldier the sheath would require some attention to produce a little noise discipline and I am going to look into making a kydex sheath for it. So far I think it is likely worth the asking price.[/QUOTE]

PICT0977.jpg

I haven't done a lot with it yet, just enough to quickly form an initial opinion. I have chopped a few dead limbs in my driveway with it the night I got it.

Then I made a couple stakes. This picture also shows the tool kit inside the handle.

PICT0990.jpg

I've chopped a little fatwood as this is a really good test to see how soft the metal and edge of a knife is. However I didn't just chop, I chopped the blade in deep (with it's massive weight it chops very well) and then pried the pieces apart breaking them off, while I don't suggest doing this in the woods in a survival situation here at home I wanted to test this blade...it seems to make a good pry bar. Afterward I just repeatedly chopped chips off of that knot for about five minutes.

PICT0978.jpg

PICT0979.jpg

I chopped a couple of dead (but not soft) hardwood limbs in two out in the back yard

PICT0980.jpg

PICT0981.jpg

PICT0982.jpg

It is a bit bigger than what I am used to carrying, but the weight isn't bad.

PICT0991.jpg

This is the balance point with the tools in the handle.

PICT1001.jpg

This is the balance point minus the tool kit

PICT0002.jpg

This shows the tool kit seperated from the butt cap.

PICT0001.jpg

After what cutting, hacking, chopping and splitting I've done so far it still shaves and there is no sign what-so-ever of any wear on the edge.

PICT0989.jpg

So...initial opinion, The knife feels good in the hand and is a very effective chopper, however when chopping the bits in the front portion of the carrier are thrown out of the carrier and ratlle around in the handle. The steel "feels" good and the knife feels very solid. The grind lines are excellent and as near to perfect as a machine can get them. The serrations were a little over sharpened but function very well and cut rope, paracord and 2" webbing like hot butter. The handle does get quite cold when left in a vehicle over night in the winter so it is probably beter suited to wamer weather/climate

I haven't worn it on any hikes so I don't have a lot to say about the sheath yet other than the blade moves around in it a lot and it produces more noise than I prefer.

All in all my initial opinion is that it is based on a proven design, seems to be well executed, feels good, the edge doesn't seem to be too soft (now to find out if it's too hard for practical use), functions well so far, but definitely better suited to warmer seasons though would have temperature issues in a desert environment as well. For any soldier the sheath would require some attention to produce a little noise discipline and I am going to look into making a kydex sheath for it. So far I think it is likely worth the asking price.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Some good photos there Mistwalker thanks. Now this may be just my strange thinking, but why a screwdriver set in the handle of a 'survival' knife I wonder? My first reaction is that I can think of far more useful items than a set of Phillips bits in a survival situation. If it was an everyday carry knife I could perhaps understand, but it just seems weird to me, I wonder what the makers reasoning was there? I'm not a fan of kit in the handle anyway, even with the strength of an all steel construction, but a tough looking knife though, and seemed to do what you asked of it. :)

It seems Schrade has either bought a license to reproduce Chris Reeve knives or maybe they just back engineered it, in either case the blade of this knife is essentially a copy of the "Project I" and the handle and tool kit is essentially a copy of the Chris Reeve Nkonka knife...which is also a large knife. I said the same thing about it as well (in both knives)...WHY?! I was glad the tool kit is removable as I don't like it either for a woods knife, I'm for thinking it could only come in handy in a very bad urban survival situation or praps in a downed aircraft, and maybe for a bow hunter, or for use on an ATV. I do so far like the knife very much and at $57.00 versus $350.00 for the Reeve version it seems to be holding it's own very well.

Glad you like the pics, I thought they turned out pretty good.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Phew! that is a price reduction. I never knew the Reeves knife came with a tool kit, so that explains the attempt to reproduce the original. I guess some bush pilot down somewhere in the wilderness with a mechanical problem perhaps, would be glad of the tools anyway.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm thinking along the same lines, why screwdriver? Looks a robust enough tool but I would chuck the screwdrivers out and replace it with maybe a ferro rod, and some cotton wool or something similar, this IMHO would double the usefulness of the knife. Even a downed aircraft would, I hope carry a slightly more useful toolkit than this driver set.

Phew! that is a price reduction. I never knew the Reeves knife came with a tool kit, so that explains the attempt to reproduce the original. I guess some bush pilot down somewhere in the wilderness with a mechanical problem perhaps, would be glad of the tools anyway.

Not all Reeve knives just the Nkonka that I am aware of. Here is a link to it. As I said, I could see this in a knife small enough to tuck away in an urban environment but not in one for the bush.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/nkonka.htm

I'm thinking along the same lines, why screwdriver? Looks a robust enough tool but I would chuck the screwdrivers out and replace it with maybe a ferro rod, and some cotton wool or something similar, this IMHO would double the usefulness of the knife. Even a downed aircraft would, I hope carry a slightly more useful toolkit than this driver set.

The tool kit is already in the desk drawer :)

who sells it in the uk please

This is the one listing I found for sales inside the UK, they say they have 102 of them in stock.

http://www.shop4lessuk.com/product_details/SCHF1.html

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Thanks Mistwalker, your post was a timely coincidence. I was only speaking to someone the other day who is looking for such a knife, the problem being that the vast majority of hollow handled knives on sale here are cheap useless things. The Schrade certainly looks good value for someone seeking such a knife, and it's nice to have a first hand account from someone who has actually used it. :)

Well...I am still testing but it is doing well so far. As I said earlier it is copied from an already proven design...it's just that this one doesn't come with a lifetime guarantee, but as not everyone can afford $350.00 or 246 p, you can buy four of these for less money than one original. With the Chris Reeve Knives as with all other "custom" makers you are paying for more than the knife you are paying for the name as well, and since these are machined I'd say it's been a long time since he personaly made one and his proffit margin is quite likely very high.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Nice review Mist. Thanks for taking the time to evaluate this knife. It's unfortunate but I think we all tend to dismiss the more "economical" alternatives when it comes to knives and most tools because we try to afford better. However, I think there are enough reasons for us all to look at "value driven choices" that may just be disposable tools or tools to be given to someone that we know will beat the tar out of it in ways one shouldn't and most likely not appreciate a more expensive alternative they way we would (imagine if you or someone you know was a roofer or paved roads, I doubt you'd use any expensive knives around that tar!). For those it would be nice to know that we don't "have" to settle for a United Cutlery knife or equally crappy brand that may be just as bad or worse and perhaps unsafe to actually use.

Be safe.

NJ

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Yes, periodically "famous" people put their names to something and the prices rocket. I don't begrudge them that at all, as it's my choice whether to buy or not.
Does the name James Hunt ring any bells with you? He was a champion British racing car driver quite few years ago, unfortunately now dead.
I was shooting on some farmland one day with friends and he had been invited to come along. Normally he was an accomplished shot, but on one occasion he fired both barrels of his beautiful English sidelock ejector 12 bore at a pheasant which sailed merrily on. I dropped it with my mass produced Russian Baikal (about £120 I recall). James Hunt walked over, looked down at the dead pheasant and said, "Dammit I just shot you with a £20,000 gun you're not supposed to fly on." All in good fun and we enjoyed his company, he was an easy person to like. If an item is well made, suited to it's purpose and I'm happy with it, then the famous name means little..to me anyway :)

I like to have a knife around that I can beat the crap out of if needs be....prefer not to spend a lot of money on it so I won't be affraid to beat the crap out of it if the need does arise.

So far this has been the best one I've seen for that role as it is very tough and relatively cheap ...but with a 5"/13 cm blade it doesn't make a very efficient chopper for cutting shelter or litter poles in a hurry...it's just too short bladed. As you can see..., it's taken it's share of beatings.

PSK-0.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Ha! Is that the 'Aircrew' issue knife? excellent choice for a hard life, there are some cheap copies around over here but the genuine ones are really capable working knives for most tasks. :)

That's an old U.S. issue pilot's knife, made by Ontario, and it's almost 20 years old. Lol, that is the tool I first impressed my now wife/then girlfriend with. We went for a camping trip out at Edwards point on Walden's Ridge and it had rained all day the day before, rained the entire hike out there (the part of hurricane Katrina that made it this far north)...5 miles or about 8.5 km and proceeded to rain the entire day and most of the night. It was summer so it was a warm rain but started to get cool at night. Using that knife I dug up and split up some pieces of fatwood and batoned a lot of dead limbs to get them to burn. She was impressed as she was just sure I'd never get a fire started under those conditions...she didn't know me very well just yet :) . Now we've been together for six years.

Well...as I have an affinity for earthtones...I am seriously considering a few wraps of the stretchy camouflage tape that some turkey hunters wrap their shotguns with. it stretches something like an ACE bandage so that it is form fitting but then unless I leave a section of the handle exposed I loose the use of the knurling for striking matches. I want to give this some more thought as that tape sticks very well and is hard to get back off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE