The New Schrade Extreme Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone else from the UK interested in buying one of these knifes? wonder if there is enough of us we could possibly get the price down a little??

Anyone dealt with the UK vendor for other goods?? Always pays to be a little cautious me thinks...

Mistwalker , again Top Review. Thank You again.

Anyone else from the UK interested in buying one of these knifes? wonder if there is enough of us we could possibly get the price down a little??

Anyone dealt with the UK vendor for other goods?? Always pays to be a little cautious me thinks...

Mistwalker , again Top Review. Thank You again.

Thank you sir, glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed the looks on the faces of the family I borrowed the two lengths of firewood from. A little caution never hurts.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I know of three fixed blades all together, the original extreme survival that looks a lot like the Imperial S-7, and two that look like the C.R.K.'s , the spear point SCHF-1 is like the Project-I, and the drop point, SCHF-2 is like the Project-II

Here is a link for a U.K. seller that I posted on the first page. It is 61 pound and they have sold a few, they had 102 in stock now down to 93.

I just saw on that site where there is a new one coming, the SCHF-3 which has a combo edge and micarta handle but no picture of it yet, but they don't carry the SCHF-2 (drop point) that I can find.

Looks like it is a range for Schrade, and have found 11 different models, but some are just different materials etc. There is what looks like a folder as well.

Did check the link, so saw the £61 price but that is how much it is in the states as well so they are selling it for about £20 quid less on e-bay. This happens a lot, a lot of computer stuff is so much cheaper in the states, that they have had to point out that to get the Gurantee you need to be based in the states.

Really good review by the way, lots of pictures.

The only thing that puts me off this knife is the serrations.
I just don't like serrations on a knife. If they made one without them I'd have one in a shot.

That is the only thing that puts me off as well.

Someone is going to explain the serration thing to me, because I do not get it. Makes sense in a rescue knife, I think, but why put them on anything else?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
That is the only thing that puts me off as well.

Someone is going to explain the serration thing to me, because I do not get it. Makes sense in a rescue knife, I think, but why put them on anything else?

I know they're good for cutting rope etc, but they always put them right where I would want to be doing my most controlled whittling tasks.
I couldn't do any fine cutting with those serrations there, making trap triggers for example.
It lessens the utility of a blade in my eyes.

The serrations are there as to be geared toward survival from a military or tactical perspective where one would be working with man made materials such as webbing, paracord, rope, and even sheetmetal. In a bushcraft type environment where one is working with natural materials the serrations could well be done without. I have mentioned this and have enquired as to maybe an offering of some without the serrations.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Fantastic review, thanks for all your hard work!

Wow, two of my favourite gear things together - a knife and a screwdriver! Don't know if I'd use either but I want it!

Claudiasboris

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
TeeDee, just out of interest. I emailed the UK supplier with an enquiry about telephoning my credit card details to him for purchase of a knife for my abandon ship bag. ( I don't put my c/card details on the Internet) No reply to my email, so I've taken a pace backwards. If you have better luck please give me a shout.

*** EDIT***

In further study of this knife it is not as much an exact copy of the CRK as I first thought. The spine of the blade is ground differently at the tip making it a little thinner but perhaps allowing easier penetration. The handle is a little fatter, and the tool kit is nowhere near as fancy, hi-tech, or fashionable but just as functional as best I can tell so far. I have also edited the specs on it some as I have called the company to enquire about the type of steel, it is 1095 hi-carbon steel

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Just watched the Destruction test of this knife on knifetests.com and knowing how hard they test knives,it seems to be a Good all round Field knife.
And is much cheaper than the Original crk knife

Just watched the Destruction test of this knife on knifetests.com and knowing how hard they test knives,it seems to be a Good all round Field knife.
And is much cheaper than the Original crk knife

Yeah...I think Noss, the guy who does those those tests, was inspired by all of the arguments surrounding my posts on the knife and decided to test it head to head with the Chris Reeve version. Did you watch both tests? Noss is a bit crazy, and his tests aren't a study on what the knife will do in the field but rather a tests to find what it won't do but I respect his work and his tests reveal alot about a knife and will let you know exactly where a failure point can be expected.

Though these kinds of destruction tests are not the sort of thing I like to do, as I'd much see or show what a knife can do in the field, this "test" shows that this knife is more durable some some might think.

Here is a link if you'd like to watch. It is a bit over an hours worth of movies in seven ten minute sections. I found it interesting.

http://knifetests.com/schradeextremesurvivaldtest.html

Nov 30, 2009
Maryland
Greetings from the USA. I aplogize for bringing this back from the dead but I thought I would share some interesting info and this thread and the knifetests.com thread are really the two most in-depth discussions that I have found anywhere concerning this knife.

I received my Extreme Survival SCHF1 today. The knife appears to be extremely well made for the money but I did have a little bit of "excess" steel around the guard. Also, while sharp out of the box, I wouldn't consider it hair shaving sharp by any stretch. I will definitely be sharpening this knife to my liking.

Perhaps most interesting is that I dont believe that these knives are made in China any longer. My box says made in Taiwan and the knife itself no longer has "ROC" under the "SCHF1". See images below.

While this may not mean much to some, I know that I have many knives from Taiwan that I consider well made. We here in the USA also have a little thing against Chinese goods as well (dont know if this feeling is universal).

The box:

CIMG9137Small.jpg

Say's "Made in Taiwan":

CIMG9139Small.jpg

No more ROC:

CIMG9132Small.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2010
Washington State
Actually Republic of China is Taiwan. The Peoples Republic of China is mainland China. It all depends on who is addressing the country. Some call it Taiwan and others call it The Republic of China (ROC)

DaveUSAF

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I still prefer the originals:)
3920040321_0032fa7c01_o.jpg

MkIV, Shadow IV and Mountaineer 1

However with CR stopping production the Schrade should be the only new option.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I love CR knives and am sad that they are stopping production of the one piece range (I have 6 CR knives) I am still looking for a shadow 1! I have been thinking of getting a shrade copy they seem to be a bargain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE