The New Schrade Extreme Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Since I was at the creek anyway today (that's another story) I decided to do a little more environmental testing on the Schrade.

To increase my odds of getting one to light, I put more of those old crappy matches in the handle this time.

PICT0035.jpg

Tied some braided line through the lanyard hole...

PICT0036.jpg

and threw it in the creek in a spot about a meter deep.

CopyofPICT0043.jpg

PICT0049.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

walked around for a while checking out the creek

PICT0050.jpg

It was pretty cold, there was ice formed on some of the limbs and rocks.

PICT0044-1.jpg

The string was frozen in places when I pulled it back out about an hour later

PICT0060.jpg

the matches were still completely dry and the first one I tried lit just fine you can see the one white mark on the rock, but it almost burned out before I got the camera to focus on it.

PICT0062.jpg

So far I'm liking this knife more and more

PICT0065.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Well Mistwalker that is one thoroughly tested knife. If I owned one it's performance as a food preparing tool would be sadly neglected though, my middle name is 'Tin opener'..:D
I have an 'Abandon ship Bag' on my boat (I live-a-board ) and although I wear a knife on my belt all day, I think I could do worse than put a Shrade in the bag, especially at the price they are selling for at the moment. The hollow handle and a short lashing would make an easy conversion to a harpoon in an emergency. I must give it some thought. Excellent info from you mate, thanks.

That is good to know The two I ordered should be hear tomorrow.:D
Then the fun will begin:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

I'm hoping to see some pictures, I'd really like to see some good pictures of that drop point.

Well Mistwalker that is one thoroughly tested knife. If I owned one it's performance as a food preparing tool would be sadly neglected though, my middle name is 'Tin opener'..:D
I have an 'Abandon ship Bag' on my boat (I live-a-board ) and although I wear a knife on my belt all day, I think I could do worse than put a Shrade in the bag, especially at the price they are selling for at the moment. The hollow handle and a short lashing would make an easy conversion to a harpoon in an emergency. I must give it some thought. Excellent info from you mate, thanks.

It will work as a tin opener too :) I'll try to post some pics of that later! Or...if you don't like the idea of trying that with a larger knife you can put one in the handle.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I'm hoping to see some pictures, I'd really like to see some good pictures of that drop point.

Got the knives today. I believe I like the spear point best.
When I get the sheaths made I will send you the drop point to try if you would like to try it for yourself :beerchug: :beerchug:

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Glad you like them, I wouldn't mind puting a hand on that drop point just to check it out. Does it feel any different in the hand?

Yes the balance is not as good as the spear point with tools removed.
And the tools that came with them Are put away in my desk probably
never to see the light of day:D :swordfigh

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Actually that's good news to me...I have a "thing" for slightly blade heavy knives.
After I make the sheath I will send it to you. Give the sheath a good work out. I want to know how it wholes up to you.:D :twak: :twak: :twak: :buttkick: If is wholes up To you Then I will know I am on to something.:D

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Always wanted a Chris Reeves....

Damn, there goes my bank balance again.

There are at least four different extreme survival knives, but only one looks Chris Reeves in style.

Have already noticed it suffers from UK pricing. Twice the price to buy here as off e-bay.

Always wanted a Chris Reeves....

Damn, there goes my bank balance again.

There are at least four different extreme survival knives, but only one looks Chris Reeves in style.

Have already noticed it suffers from UK pricing. Twice the price to buy here as off e-bay.

I know of three fixed blades all together, the original extreme survival that looks a lot like the Imperial S-7, and two that look like the C.R.K.'s , the spear point SCHF-1 is like the Project-I, and the drop point, SCHF-2 is like the Project-II

Here is a link for a U.K. seller that I posted on the first page. It is 61 pound and they have sold a few, they had 102 in stock now down to 93.

I just saw on that site where there is a new one coming, the SCHF-3 which has a combo edge and micarta handle but no picture of it yet, but they don't carry the SCHF-2 (drop point) that I can find.

More abuse :D

Today I used it to make some kindling...beating it through a nearly two foot long, seasond piece of what I think may have been Sweetgum as it was tight grained and had grown in somewhat of a twist. It took some serious beating to seperate it into kindling sized pieces.

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

I also used it to crack open some black Walnuts , which are pretty tough (these were really good with a lot of flavor). You can see where the coating is starting to wear from the wood splitting.

IMG_0109.jpg

But the knife is holding up just fine. I'm liking this knife more and more.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Tried out the drop point yesterday Cuts as good as the spear point.
As far as usability would be hard to decide which one to buy.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The only thing that puts me off this knife is the serrations.
I just don't like serrations on a knife. If they made one without them I'd have one in a shot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE