The "lumbersexual"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
My wife likes my beard to be neatened once every few months. So I sit in the barn, she breaks out the clippers and tidies it up. Its still long but she evicts a few birds and its has less straggly outliers.

Its fair play I suppose - I cut her hair (with a laser level to make sure its accurate)

With a laser level or a level laser? "Hold very still my dear" :D

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Wood stoves? Do they come with flat caps and whippets as standard.. or are they an after market buy for the upper middle class university educated beardos out there..?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The people I know who have wood stoves are the ones sitting on 500,000 pound inherited estates. The exact types that don't need to harvest wood to stay warm, but do it anyway. Literally upperclass hipsters.

Does that not annoy anyone else?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The people I know who have wood stoves are the ones sitting on 500,000 pound inherited estates. The exact types that don't need to harvest wood to stay warm, but do it anyway. Literally upperclass hipsters.

Does that not annoy anyone else?

No class war in the forum please.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
At least when the next fashion comes along and they all shave their facial fuzz off the charity shops will be full of some very decent checked shirts unfortunately not many will be in XL.

Craig. .....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I never knew that chainsaws were made with such short bars.
Most work and forestry clothes here are solid colors, checked patterns are out of style.

You people ain't seen nuthin; yet.
Just wait until some woman comes walking down the street, dressed head-to-toe in PINK CAMO.
Men dressed like that live in big cities.

Men dressed in all black, wearing an Avalung, are sled heads.
They have lots and lots of money and they spend lots of it here.
Hottest local sled is a NOX monster, dyno-ed at 450HP. Lots of 350's.

Very fancy/puffy colorful winter jacket-people are probably heliskiers or cat-skiers.

I heat my home with compressed wood pellets in a stove. Very nice, very economical
made from salvage junk wood stock. Expect to burn 10,000lbs again this winter.

Google McBride BC to look at the #1 snowmobile destination in North America.
You got it = I retired to the ZOO!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"This is great news! My wife will be pleased! Her very fashionable husband! Mind you I don't buy my clothes to be fashionable just practical. Does this mean I don't have to change from work when I go out now?"

Not in my experience... :lmao:

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Never mind fancy, an upper class hipster no less.

So those of us who heat our homes with woodstoves are upper-class toffs with too much money
Yeah right, cobblers mate some of us live in banged up static caravans and that wood stove is a heck of a lot cheaper than mains gas and we can scavenge most of the timber we use

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I heat my home with compressed wood pellets in a stove. Very nice, very economical
made from salvage junk wood stock. Expect to burn 10,000lbs again this winter.
I gather that you like it. There have been quite a lot of those installed in schools in the UK. Bit of a backlash in the media recently, claiming they weren't as efficient as initially claimed (seems some people believed the salepeople).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Back up 10+ years. I have a oil fired central heating system in the house.
In that day and time, I made an educated guess that oil prices would continue to rise.
They did. Plus, we will never ever have natural gas.
So, I decided to install a Harman PP38+ wood pellet stove.
If gas would have cost X to heat the house, wood pellets cost about 2X.
The oil-fired furnace cost was about 3.5X. propane maybe 4.5X and electricity, 5X.
Consequently, the wood stove recovered the capital cost over the first 3 winters.
The pleasant surprise has been my fixed price of $215/ton for the past 7 years.
This year, that's gone up to $230/ton.

The balanace sheet has got to change with oil less than 50% of a year ago.
How that translates into furnace oil, I don't know as have not bought
any for backup this winter (when I go into the city for a week or two.)

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
So those of us who heat our homes with woodstoves are upper-class toffs with too much money
Yeah right, cobblers mate some of us live in banged up static caravans and that wood stove is a heck of a lot cheaper than mains gas and we can scavenge most of the timber we use

Indeed. My closest neighbour lives in an annex/bedsit that he built himself and heats it with a little woodstove. Just one room and a loo so it works very well. Upper class he is not, and unless hipsters regularly spend the winter permanently wearing an orange (RAC style) winter parka to keep warm, he's not one of those either!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A link to the torygraph, sorry about that.

Apparently some Australian scientists have worked out that the whole hipster/lumbersexual bear thing my be down to men subconsciously trying to appear more aggressive.

I don't think it works for most. I tend to shave both beard and hair off for the warmer months, most reckon I look more scary then and much more approachable in the winter. :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a woodstove. Does that make me fancy?

Yeah, I have a woodstove (well more accurately a multi fuel stove) that I bought from Machine Mart for 209 quid on a vat free day.
Me and my brother installed the chimney liner, he bricked the fireplace to the right size for the surround pulled from my wife's grandmothers house, I shuttered a concrete top to the inglenook, then insulated the part above the reinforced concrete with ichy wool.
I also have central heating (most of which I installed as well) but as I have a bin next to my chopsaw at work and would otherwise be throwing my offcuts into the skip then paying for gas to heat my home I just put the offcuts into the van* instead.
Usually have central heating on in the morning to take the edge off the cold and burn wood on a night as I have more time to lay the fire then.

That way, other people buy the wood that heats my home.

If any of that ^ sounds even faintly posh then yer reading it wrong.
Looks like this...
DSC01869_zpsdfd3e151.jpg

Oh and I don't do beards cos they make me look like an IT bod/Social worker.;)

*99 smilie face Transit, with factory fitted rusty bits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE