The "lumbersexual"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Haha at least i won't have to spend anything on clothes for our xmas night out this year ,
might have to not shave for a while :)

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
Tree-huggers?

I get the impression it's less tree hugger, more Broke Back Mountain!

I do a lot of cycling, this has now turned into a 'scene', with bike messengers spawning a whole raft of would be's or 'Fakengers' as they are known. Also the bearded fixed gear riding 'Hipsters' all the beards that have taken 3 hours to sculpt into an unsculpted style! It was always going to come to the great outdoors too!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sort of idiots who have a tantrum when people "cut down a healthy tree"

AKA Pillocks.
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

They're the same people who will camp out in trees to stop an ancient woodland being felled to make way for a shopping centre. We need people like that, if only to act as an offset to the "me" centric hyper capitalists that seem to be so prevalent these days. Tree huggers are far more preferable than hedge fund managers in my mind. Pillocks or no.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Lumbersexuals talking pillocks in a pseudo pub - got to be a Channel 4 series in that :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
your on a bushcraft site and your against people who are against cutting down healthy trees?? incredible!!!

Speaking as an Ex forester I've cut down thousands of "healthy trees" I've also planted hundreds of thousand of new ones. There's nothing wrong with cutting down healthy trees for a reason. But we found we were damned by folk who didn't know what they were talking about whether we planted them or cut them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
your on a bushcraft site and your against people who are against cutting down healthy trees?? incredible!!!

Yes indeed I am. I cut down healthy tress regularly. I log them up and heat my home with them and I cook with them having seasoned them. I remove them because they are weed trees (e.g. elder which self seeds all over), sycamore, blackthorn suckers etc. In their place I plant important conservation species (True Service trees, hornbeam, Wild service, etc.).

I'm sure less biodiversity, less important habitats and more pollution from using commercial energy suit some but that doesn't suit me.

It may be "incredible" to you, but to me, being a steward of the land, means managing the land, improving it, working with it and gaining what I need (including fuel) from it - in a sustainable way.

How do you heat your home?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE