The Hat has Landed...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...right on Stovie's head...

A timeless creation that will never go out of style, 'cause it's never been IN style... :lmao:

I couldn't resist....

scouthat.jpg

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
You know there is an American bear in a park ranger's uniform looking for that :lmao:

Seriously tho, Very nice, where did you get it from ( oh b***er, now I've got that tune in my head).

I got myself a Jacaru a little while back and I love it :D

Greywolf

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Greywolf said:
You know there is an American bear in a park ranger's uniform looking for that :lmao:

Seriously tho, Very nice, where did you get it from ( oh b***er, now I've got that tune in my head).

I got myself a Jacaru a little while back and I love it :D

Greywolf

Tee Hee! "Hey BooBoo!!!"

Got it from world scout shop . For some reason my dear wife is not keen on me wearing it on the beach in Zante... :rolleyes:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Whats all that about Stovie, you don't look impressed..........

The hat's great (from my point of view) but the kids keep takin' the proverbial.... ;)

She's goin' to get her inaugural run out this weekend...girly sleepover at home, so the men of the house are escaping....

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Nice one. I wear my Akubra a lot - at least outside the winter months. A broad brimmed felt hat is surprisingly practical outdoors. Good in sun and rain. Difficult to blow away if it fits well. Good for fanning fires and keeping a mozzie net off your face. They seem to survive a lot of abuse.

They are bulky things to carry if you're not actually wearing it. So I carry it on my head when I'm not using it. :rolleyes:

The 'scout' hat - aka 'campaign hat' is associated with scouts, US troops of WW1, US drill instructors, forest rangers (including the aforementioned Smokie the Bear) and Canadians. Looking at photos of the famous outdoorsman Sigurd Olson (who lived near the US/Canada border in Minnesota) it seems that these hats were often worn by backcountry guides in the mid 20th century (along with the red checked shirt and logger boots).

Good find.

As for fashion - felt hats of one sort were pretty common in the 18th/19th century. Must be due to come into fashion again?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Magnificent hats, I started wearing them early in my 20s, mostly whilst drinking beer, then this progressed and they are stacked!!!

If anyone wants an Akubra, this place ALWAYS writes gift on the box, and the Drizabones are great value - mine is from there. My huge 'Territory' Akubra came from there. I must admit, that one looks rather fetching, the pile could increase.....

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Stick with wearing it, everybody will get used to you wearing it and the grief will stop - in fact you'll probaly find some of your mates may end up with one :rolleyes:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Yeah Good one

Stick with broad brimmed hats for bushcraft - absolute tops lol

They really do need chinstraps of some sort though.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
nickg said:
Yeah Good one

Stick with broad brimmed hats for bushcraft - absolute tops lol

They really do need chinstraps of some sort though.

It has a leather strap Nick, hanging at the back.

I'm going to need it at the weekend to keep the sun off AND the thundershowers :D

Ha, hats!

I regularily wear my Akubra (model "Down under") I bought at The Rocks in Sidney in 1990. Great hat for rain and sunshine. Still going fine

Stovie. The traditional scout hat is regaining popularity here in our scouts federation. locally it's known as the "lemon press" model.

Now there's politics behind such a hat.

The way the 4 folds are positioned in your picture, is known as the "Roman Catholic" version. When such a hat hangs down from your back, the folds form a + or 'Latin' cross. (The Yanks had such folds on their campaign hats during WW1).

On the contrary, pictures of Baden Powell and the Canadian Mounted Police sport what we know as "Andrew " folds (he vertical hanging hat shows a saltyre cross X aka 'St Andrews' cross). see picture: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden-Powell

In other words, there should be a depression, not a fold in the frontal position.

Subtle, but important... :cool:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Much as I love my Akubra, I am tempted by the RCMP Stetson. Works out at about £130 delivered. Add £30 for VAT and it's a pretty expensive hat.

Apparantly the best selling Akubra in Oz is the 'Snowy River':

mepic.bmp
[/IMG]

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
LOL! That is a very nice hat but must agree, it will never be fashionable.

Lurrrv my Tilley.

It floats, it's light and cool, it's water resistant and keeps it's shape, and thanks to a lacing system, wind has to really work at blowing it off. There is also the secret pocket for credit cards and money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE