The great alcohol stove shootout !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Isn't the Clas Ohlson stove the new model Swedish Army stove called the Jagarkok ?
http://www.soldf.com/jagarkok.html
Happy trails...torc.

That stove you link to clearly has a Trangia burner inside, looks like a hybrid!
The Clas Ohlson looks nice and works well for as far as I can judge what I've seen when others used it in Scandinavia. Good to see my Trangia is better though! ;)

In case anyone would be planning on making the same mistake: never ever put alcohol gel inside a Trangia burner, totally clogs it up, hardly produces any heat compared to proper liquid alcohol and very difficult to clean it out (ended up buying a new burner). Learnt it the hard way at a festival where we than had half cooked spaghetti for a week :banghead:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
OK, this is perhaps my all time favourite alcohol stove (yes, even more than my beloved Trangia 25's and 27's), it the Optimus Trapper.

A very different burner design to standard alcohol stoves. Using the red tube and red measuring cup you fill the stove. The fuel is absorbed into an internal pad which is very effective, no spills even if the stove is knocked over (read Chris Townsend when he says you can roll these down hill without spilling a drop). The set comes with two pans and a frying pan lid.

The flame comes straight out of a burner tube and is controlled by a sliding rod which means that not only will this setup boil very fast, but it has without doubt the best simmer of any alcohol stove I've used.

The windshield is highly effective (like the Trangia) and this stove will perform well even in high winds.

These don't come up often on eBay and when they do they fetch high coinage but work so well:)

DSCF4677640x480.jpg

DSCF4678640x480.jpg

DSCF4679640x480.jpg

DSCF4681640x480.jpg

DSCF4682640x480.jpg

DSCF4683640x480.jpg

DSCF4684640x480.jpg

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I've got a swedish army trangia and it is a good piece of kit, being as it is so versatile, however one thing i have to disagree on is the time it takes to come up to temperature and to bloom. Mine has never taken as long as ive seen here and other places on the net. Because i have two of the military burners i decided to risk one and to experiment. I drilled the jets out with a 1.5mm drill and now it lasts almost as long on one fill of meths but blooms in around 4 minutes and is really going at 5 minutes. Two little things i always do when using the trangia is to put some meths in the burner and then give it a good shake, does this really help ? well i think it does, as does putting the shield around the burner and a pot on top a.s.a.p. as i think this reflects heat back to the burner and speeds it up.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Which Trangia is this one in the original review - is it the 25 or the 27? I ask because I have a Trangia 25, and find my C.O. is quicker (even using the C.O. burner). It's not by much - a minute or so, but it tends to support my personal theory that the C.O. design is better because with its slanted sides, it allows heat up the sides of the pan, not just under it, as with the Trangia. Of course, if you have a 27, there, and report it quicker than the C.O., then my theory falls apart, a bit.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 25 is a good bit bigger than the 27 but uses the same burner so the 27 will be a little faster perhaps. C.O.? Clas Ohlson stove? If so, great value for money, a copy of the Optimus 91/Tor Purple Flame, the Ranger Stove, used by some Scandanavian forces instread of the Swedish Army alcohol stove setup as it quicker.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I've got a swedish army trangia and it is a good piece of kit, being as it is so versatile, however one thing i have to disagree on is the time it takes to come up to temperature and to bloom. Mine has never taken as long as ive seen here and other places on the net. Because i have two of the military burners i decided to risk one and to experiment. I drilled the jets out with a 1.5mm drill and now it lasts almost as long on one fill of meths but blooms in around 4 minutes and is really going at 5 minutes. Two little things i always do when using the trangia is to put some meths in the burner and then give it a good shake, does this really help ? well i think it does, as does putting the shield around the burner and a pot on top a.s.a.p. as i think this reflects heat back to the burner and speeds it up.

Agreed - put the pot on asap while the stove is priming. Ive never found it detrimental. You can also use the windshield section as a woodburner which is a plus.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Rik a bit off topic sorry but where did you get the tube of carnation, I've been looking for that stuff for ages. Reminiscent of the old compo milk from the 60s - 70s era when the army was needin em not feedin em? :p

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
The 25 is a good bit bigger than the 27 but uses the same burner so the 27 will be a little faster perhaps. C.O.? Clas Ohlson stove? If so, great value for money, a copy of the Optimus 91/Tor Purple Flame, the Ranger Stove, used by some Scandanavian forces instread of the Swedish Army alcohol stove setup as it quicker.

Sorry, yes, C.O. is Clas Ohlson. As I really rate it. I can even make it just a little lighter and a little bit less bulky by taking a pot lid off my Trangia 27 and use it instead of the bigger Clas Ohlson frying pan/plate. I'd probably only do it if I really needed to save on bulk, or if I was being particularly obsessive. Point is, though, the Trangia lid fits and makes a neater package, in my view. Of course, you wouldn't be able to fry as much as you lose maybe an inch or so off the pan.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have the equivalent of the CO trangia copy. Here in the USA it is labellef "Lexmark" and retails for about USD20. I used it in camp last weekend. AT Breakfast, using 45deg f (7deg c) water and denatured alcohol (meths) at ambient temperature of 45deg f, boil time was under 5 minutes for 2 cups (470 ml) of water to a very vigorous rolling boil. I lit it and immediately placed the pan on the stand. This contains the heat of the burner reflects it to the burner and therefore heats up the alcohol more quickly so that it blooms (jets) sooner. The blooming is enabled by the alcohol boiling, so it is essential to heat up the burner as quickly as possible. If I were using it in freezing temperatures, I would place a foil dish containing a few drops of alcohol under the burner and light that before placing the burner on its stand and lighting that. I always prime my coke can stoves in the same way to accelerate blooming. I was very impressed with the performance of the CO/Lexmark set, but realistically, it can only be used to boil water for tea/coffee or dehydrated meals as it has no simmer ring and the pans have no non-stick coating. Very good value, but a bit heavy at 19 ounces (ca. 550 g) and bulky for backpacking.

Last edited:

bushcraft kid

Apr 7, 2015
England
Could you cook for 2 people in the swedish army trangia stove, i need to know because im doing a 3 day hike over 6 summits at scouts. Thanks

Dan

You might get a better response if you start a new thread with this question on the Kit chatter forum Dan - rather than resurrecting a five year old thread!

My answer is yes, easily, although the SAT is one of the last stoves I would take on a 3 day hike over 6 summits - way too heavy. No doubt young and fit as you are, you are going to be feeling every ounce by the end of day one - let alone day three!

To enjoy a trip like that, you need to go as light as possible. Google 'ultralight backpacking'.

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
In terms of capacity - yes, (depending what you will be eating). If you already have the stove it will avoid you buying something else but............

In terms of weight, you might be better using the burner with pot stand or trivet (see here http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RE103.html) and switching to a lighter pans and a foil windshield (make one from a foil turkey roasting tin - dead cheap), and of course a fuel bottle. Any kind of bottle that meths or alcohol comes in should be good enough unless there are safety regs for DoE??

What does your DoE adviser suggest?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE